Anyone add a rear seat 12v in a 2500/3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up a Ram Rebel 2500 Cummins and realized it has no 12v power in the rear seat area. Huge mistake!!! I ran a Dometic cooler back there in my '16 Rebel 1500. Anyone add one back there? I'm really bummed. The rear seat has a 400w 110v plug, but that is "switched". The only 12v port in this 2500 is high up on the front dash. Very weird. Not sure how I missed that when I was shopping, but now I'm stuck. (otherwise, I do love the new truck).

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Being that is still the Gen4 cab on that truck, I wonder if the opening for the clutch pedal is still there with a rubber plug in it. That's a good place to run wires into the cab.
Be sure to update your vehicle profile as it still shows as a '16 w/5.7

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
12v outlets have pretty much been phased out in most vehicles, I don't even think my wife's new 2024 4runner has one period. You could always run one yourself? Leave a pigtail up under the seat or try and mount it somewhere.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
12v outlets have pretty much been phased out in most vehicles, I don't even think my wife's new 2024 4runner has one period. You could always run one yourself? Leave a pigtail up under the seat or try and mount it somewhere.

Why? Manufacturers can't be that dumb. A person can't power a 12v/4A device on a 5v/1.5A USB outlet. Like @miketx, I have a portable cooler, plus a portable TV, and a couple other items I need a 12v power outlet for.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Oh sure, I could do it....I've done it in multiple other vehicles, including a FJ Cruiser I had outfitted for overlanding, I just brainfarted and didn't look for it on the Ram, since my last one I just traded in had it. And I hate tearing into my brand new truck. I haven't bought a new truck since 1992...always used. I can still run the cooler while I'm driving off the 110v outlet (the Dometic is both 110 and 12v), but 12v always worked great, especially since you could swap a fuse (or in the case of my '16 Rebel, just pull it out) and it was constant 12v back there.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why? Manufacturers can't be that dumb. A person can't power a 12v/4A device on a 5v/1.5A USB outlet. Like @miketx, I have a portable cooler, plus a portable TV, and a couple other items I need a 12v power outlet for.
Apparently they are that dumb......or us 12v users are becoming the minority (which is probably the case).

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Why? Extremely simple, the consumer drives the demand. While you and a couple other people use it thousands don't. 99% of the owners out there are only concerned with a USB port to charge a phone.

Honestly I can't tell you the last time I used a 12v outlet? It's been years (many many years). Cooler, I use ice. TV, most use a phone or tablet. Tire pump, connect directly to battery or use a battery powered one. That pretty much speaks for the majority of people out there. And if I need one, it's really simple to add.

I get it, I'm an old(ish) fart and we are used to having certain things that were once common but times are changing. This is pretty much true for everything in life.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
So.e useless knowledge, GM trucks haven't had a 12v port in the truck's for a couple years now. Not 1! Unbelievable to me too.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I mounted a 2 12v and 2 usb outlet in mine. When im towing the TT (Im
on a 4 month trek) i need 12 v for the rear camera monitor, 12 v for the Garmin gps , and one usb for the trailer tpms. Plus im plugged into the radio with my phone for Apple maps and the wife navigates with her ipad plugged in to the usb inside the console.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why? Extremely simple, the consumer drives the demand. While you and a couple other people use it thousands don't. 99% of the owners out there are only concerned with a USB port to charge a phone.

Honestly I can't tell you the last time I used a 12v outlet? It's been years (many many years). Cooler, I use ice. TV, most use a phone or tablet. Tire pump, connect directly to battery or use a battery powered one. That pretty much speaks for the majority of people out there. And if I need one, it's really simple to add.

I get it, I'm an old(ish) fart and we are used to having certain things that were once common but times are changing. This is pretty much true for everything in life.

I also need one for my Garmin, which just used last week for a trip to Burbank and back. I use it because the map on my phone sucks and the Garmin screen is bigger and easier to read.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I use it because the map on my phone sucks and the Garmin screen is bigger and easier to read.
Must be either old or really cheap phone. There's not any standalone GPS that comes close to a relatively modern smart phone running Google Maps or Waze for navigation, mainly because of the real-time traffic and road information. Even RDS-TMC reporting lags considerably compared to crowd-source traffic information.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Must be either old or really cheap phone. There's not any standalone GPS that comes close to a relatively modern smart phone running Google Maps or Waze for navigation, mainly because of the real-time traffic and road information. Even RDS-TMC reporting lags considerably compared to crowd-source traffic information.
Well, it's an $800 Kyocera that uses Google Maps, but even so it's not as accurate as my Garmin and my Garmin screen is bigger and easier to read.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just picked up a Ram Rebel 2500 Cummins and realized it has no 12v power in the rear seat area. Huge mistake!!! I ran a Dometic cooler back there in my '16 Rebel 1500. Anyone add one back there? I'm really bummed. The rear seat has a 400w 110v plug, but that is "switched". The only 12v port in this 2500 is high up on the front dash. Very weird. Not sure how I missed that when I was shopping, but now I'm stuck. (otherwise, I do love the new truck).
I too use a 12v outlet. The screen for my Furrion trailer camera system on my travel trailer needs one. But fortunately the one on the dash is enough for me.

Why not just get one of these?

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too use a 12v outlet. The screen for my Furrion trailer camera system on my travel trailer needs one. But fortunately the one on the dash is enough for me.

Why not just get one of these?
My Dometic cooler can do 110v or 12v, so I don't need that. Problem I have is that the rear seat 110v port shuts off when the truck does. My former Rebel 1500 truck with the 12v port back there was on 24x7 (simple fuse to pull to activate that). And the cooler has "limits" so if the truck 12v starts to get low, it will shut itself off. It won't do that in 110v mode.

For my upcoming long trip, I guess I'll just live with the 110v and stuff will probably stay cool enough overnight until I fire up the truck again. Or I'll pull the cooler out and power it next to my trailer overnight.