At idle, what is the gas consumption per/hour for the 5.7L Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COTTERSAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
At idle, does anyone know what is the gas consumption per/hour for the 5.7L Hemi engine (2017 1500 RAM truck)?

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you knew how much was burned per engine revolution by idle RPM by 60 minutes?

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At idle, does anyone know what is the gas consumption per/hour for the 5.7L Hemi engine (2017 1500 RAM truck)?
Just search for an idling fuel calculator. Be warned though, one I pulled up redirected to a **** site. Anyway, one did work and for 5.7 displacement at idle it was 3.42 litres per hour or 0.90 gallon.

OP
OP
C

COTTERSAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Thanks Skates for the answer and Dean for the mx+ Link OBD reader idea! Flip-er, good question: I am purchasing a back-up "generator" (a 40A DC-to-DC battery charger) to be powered by the RAM's battery/alternator in order to charge the Lithium Ions in my RV, but at almost a gallon an hour, it is only practical for dire emergencies!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks Skates for the answer and Dean for the mx+ Link OBD reader idea! Flip-er, good question: I am purchasing a back-up "generator" (a 40A DC-to-DC battery charger) to be powered by the RAM's battery/alternator in order to charge the Lithium Ions in my RV, but at almost a gallon an hour, it is only practical for dire emergencies!
A 1000 watt generator burns just over half a gallon for 7 hours run time. Would be WAY cheaper to just buy a small generator.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can charge your lithium powered devices, but your lifters won't be happy.

OP
OP
C

COTTERSAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
I guess you guys are saying that the hydraulic lifters will pump down while idling. (I've only had high speed problems with hydraulic lifters pumping up in my life, screwing the entire valve train, so this issue is new to me.)

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m half kidding, but yes it’s definitely not a good idea to let your hemi idle. In a nutshell, they have issues with oil starvation to the lifter roller bearings at low rpm.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, that sounds depressing. I guess that means the DC-to-DC battery charger idea goes out the window. I'll try to find a 1000W gas genny then...
There are all sorts of smaller generators like the lil Honda and other brands that will have between 900-1200 watt output. Most of them are air cooled run on a standard 50:1 mix like chain saw. Most have run time 5-8 hrs depending upon load and fuel capacity.

I would not use hemi as a charging dc platform for rv. Maybe only emergency setup. Pick u up a lil Honda of other brand. Honda prob priciest. Prices start around $200 for off brands and up. I was researching the other day.

Sitting idling Ram long times just maybe not a good idea. But OP yer ride, yer wallet do as U see fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

COTTERSAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Thanks TurkeyBird! I looked into the smaller, low-cost gennies too, and saw that, as you say, they are all 2-strokes, which I hate (hate mixing, hate smoke, and hate the weight (about 38LBS for a little 1200 Watter)! The best little 4-stroke genny, in my view -- which is only about 28LBS -- is this model: HEOMAITO at $299...

GENNY.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks TurkeyBird! I looked into the smaller, low-cost gennies too, and saw that, as you say, they are all 2-strokes, which I hate (hate mixing, hate smoke, and hate the weight (about 38LBS for a little 1200 Watter)! The best little 4-stroke genny, in my view -- which is only about 28LBS -- is this model: HEOMAITO at $299...
Do wat works fer U. Yer wallet and big boy p-anties, lmao.

Dat Genny looks perfect fer yer needs.

Lot cheaper than down the road cams and lifters and such. Just a thought.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

View attachment 548370

It is claimed that high idle times can lead to cam/lifter issues.

While there are 1000's of work/trucks with no issues(I have one with high idle and no issues). There is enough data to show it could be a factor.
On the other hand, running any engine is going to cause wear....

Increasing the base rpm speed at idle, Helps move more oil around. Which some think, it should help. In my view there is no downside doing this.
I did this on my truck with HP tuning software. I off-road often with my truck, so at time I have my truck idling.

No matter if you have Ram or any truck. I would look at cost differences. $60-$100k($5k-10K for engine repair/downtime) for Truck vs few hundred for generator.

OP
OP
C

COTTERSAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
It is claimed that high idle times can lead to cam/lifter issues.

While there are 1000's of work/trucks with no issues(I have one with high idle and no issues). There is enough data to show it could be a factor.
On the other hand, running any engine is going to cause wear....

Increasing the base rpm speed at idle, Helps move more oil around. Which some think, it should help. In my view there is no downside doing this.
I did this on my truck with HP tuning software. I off-road often with my truck, so at time I have my truck idling.

No matter if you have Ram or any truck. I would look at cost differences. $60-$100k($5k-10K for engine repair/downtime) for Truck vs few hundred for generator.
Thanks, CanRebel, I'm certainly not going to risk any of that!! As you and others have said, I could run a DC-to-DC converter off of the RAM, but it would certainly be a very dumb move!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Look at yard sales, market sites, I see quite a few smaller generators listed If you have AC in the camper, small don't cut it.

I have one for the house , a large 5000 watt, 220v Chinese , works fine, loud , uses lots of gas, gal/ hr I think, but it was only 700.oo and only runs odd time /yr. Hard starting.

If you want a good one , get a Honda or Yamaha or such, quite and run forever. Cheap is OK , but gets old fast.
Fellow bought a new ford 1/2T it has a 400 w inverter in it , good for a drill I guess, will not run his furnace.

OP
OP
C

COTTERSAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Look at yard sales, market sites, I see quite a few smaller generators listed If you have AC in the camper, small don't cut it.

I have one for the house , a large 5000 watt, 220v Chinese , works fine, loud , uses lots of gas, gal/ hr I think, but it was only 700.oo and only runs odd time /yr. Hard starting.

If you want a good one , get a Honda or Yamaha or such, quite and run forever. Cheap is OK , but gets old fast.
Fellow bought a new ford 1/2T it has a 400 w inverter in it , good for a drill I guess, will not run his furnace.
Great points! Thanks Marshall!