Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Hi all,

I installed a Laviay Wireless Android Auto Screen in my 2013 Ram 1500. The screen works great and nice to have Android Auto. It came with a rear backup camera. I installed that and the camera works. I connected the trigger wire to the positive wire on the left reverse light. When I put it in reverse the backup camera is not triggered. Has anyone else had this with an aftermarket Reverse Camera?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi all,

I installed a Laviay Wireless Android Auto Screen in my 2013 Ram 1500. The screen works great and nice to have Android Auto. It came with a rear backup camera. I installed that and the camera works. I connected the trigger wire to the positive wire on the left reverse light. When I put it in reverse the backup camera is not triggered. Has anyone else had this with an aftermarket Reverse Camera?
Are you sure that is the proper way to wire it? Some use a CANBUS signal to determine when the vehicle is in reverse. There also may be a setting in the radio for an aftermarket vs OEM camera that needs to be flipped.

OP
OP
S

sammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Hey thanks for the response. I followed the instructions. If I select the camera manually it works. If I put the vehicle in reverse it does not come on. The stock radio is still installed I did not remove it this is just an addon. This is supposed to work on any vehicle by connecting to the Reverse tail light. The wire provided is just that length.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey thanks for the response. I followed the instructions. If I select the camera manually it works. If I put the vehicle in reverse it does not come on. The stock radio is still installed I did not remove it this is just an addon. This is supposed to work on any vehicle by connecting to the Reverse tail light. The wire provided is just that length.
Do you have the install insructions that you can post or link to?

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like your new radio is not getting the signal that the truck is in reverse.

wrench78

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

Just a thought. You talk about the trigger wire to the reverse light. Did you hook up a ground wire? If you did, and you are sure the trigger wire is correct, Try a different ground.

OP
OP
S

sammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Just a thought. You talk about the trigger wire to the reverse light. Did you hook up a ground wire? If you did, and you are sure the trigger wire is correct, Try a different ground.
There is no ground wire. There is the trigger wire and the wire that hooks to the main unit

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
just a dumb question: are you positive you're on the correct back up/reverse light wire and making a good connection?

or, lock the brakes via the e-brake, truck in reverse, and connect 12 volts to the wire and see if that triggers the camera.

OP
OP
S

sammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
just a dumb question: are you positive you're on the correct back up/reverse light wire and making a good connection?

or, lock the brakes via the e-brake, truck in reverse, and connect 12 volts to the wire and see if that triggers the camera.
I have tested the wire yes with my wife on the brake and truck in R the light lights up and i know the purple wire is positive i used a tester

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I do yea sorry for the time lag been busy
Here's a thought. I'd like you to disconnect that "trigger" wire completely and see if you still can view the camera (not in reverse). I'm thinking that is not in fact a trigger wire for reverse and is instead just a wire that sends power to the camera only when in reverse so it won't drain the battery. If so, this would mean there is likely a software setting to get this working and your wiring is not at fault.

OP
OP
S

sammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Here's a thought. I'd like you to disconnect that "trigger" wire completely and see if you still can view the camera (not in reverse). I'm thinking that is not in fact a trigger wire for reverse and is instead just a wire that sends power to the camera only when in reverse so it won't drain the battery. If so, this would mean there is likely a software setting to get this working and your wiring is not at fault.
the camera works with out the wire. It is powered from the main unit.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
the camera works with out the wire. It is powered from the main unit.
Well darn...it could still be a setting though that says something about reverse signaling. Where there any other pictures of wiring included in the instructions? Do you have a link to what you purchased?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you got a 7 pin trailer plug on there, correct?

just for fun, push that lil wire into the reverse light pole of that plug
(that will ensure you got a solid 12v)

got a link to the camera you got?
id like to look at some of thier pictures

i know i had issues with one of mine, and it turned out i needed a dedicated ground to it

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

i know i had issues with one of mine, and it turned out i needed a dedicated ground to it
That's where I would have tapped too...

OP
OP
S

sammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Well darn...it could still be a setting though that says something about reverse signaling. Where there any other pictures of wiring included in the instructions? Do you have a link to what you purchased?
There were no other instructions for install no. I wish lol

This is what I purchased

OP
OP
S

sammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum

I do have a 7 pin plug yes never thought of tapping in there hmmm

this is what i purchased

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There were no other instructions for install no. I wish lol

This is what I purchased

Upon seeing this isn't a radio and not getting any signal from the CANBUS, I'm thinking it just has a setting that needs to be changed in one of the menus if you know the signal wire is good.