Battery failure under Warranty/won't pay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Just to throw this out there. Got my 2020 2500 back today from the dealer for a dead battery. After 2 days they discovered a 1.029amp draw from a pinched wire that grounded out BEHIND the radio in the dash. Just an FYI.
Those are the kinds of things that worry me. When I was installing bed lights on the 2020 Laramie I used to own, I found a spot on the frame that was starting to wear away at the main wiring harness. The wire harness was actually secured to the frame incorrectly, leaving it directly against a sharp metal edge. Some of the insulation was starting to fray away. I was able to relocate it to the correct spot and add a little more protection using some scrap plastic I had laying around. I don't even want to think about what could have happened if I hadn't found and fixed that myself. That was the first thing I checked on my new truck LOL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are the kinds of things that worry me. When I was installing bed lights on the 2020 Laramie I used to own, I found a spot on the frame that was starting to wear away at the main wiring harness. The wire harness was actually secured to the frame incorrectly, leaving it directly against a sharp metal edge. Some of the insulation was starting to fray away. I was able to relocate it to the correct spot and add a little more protection using some scrap plastic I had laying around. I don't even want to think about what could have happened if I hadn't found and fixed that myself. That was the first thing I checked on my new truck LOL
Yup, gotta love the Quality Control, lol. :anitoof:

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
THE BATTERY IN MY 17 ram 1500 DIES AT 3 AND 1/2 YEARS OLD. I felt that was reasonable. I got a WalMart battery as there is always a WalMart where you can replace it. Often part places are closed and then your stuck. At least that's my experience. Not only that but Walmart
s warranty is pretty good compared to other battery brands.

Ddenton369

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
My 2019 Ram died while I was driving it, and was outside of warranty period. The battery light and check engine light came on almost simultaneously and the truck stopped running shortly after that. I had it towed to the nearest dealership. Initially they told me that the problem was the battery was shot, I questioned this and told them that I would buy my own battery to replace it if that was the case, due to the price the dealership was charging. Upon further evaluation, which took them almost the entire day, they finally figured out that the alternator was not always generating power. The solution to the problem, that they figured out by calling MOPAR, was with the computer system and the etorque. In the end they just had to install a software update, the battery was still fine once it had something charging it. Total cost to me was just the tow and the oil change that I had them perform while it was there.
My 2022 just left me stranded while towing a small trailer/generator. Truck had approx 2400 miles- about 2.5 months old. Almost 3 hours round trip non stop driving, you'd expect it to be fully charged - not DISCHARGED!!
Got towed into dealer. Was left on battery chargers over a weekend (3+ days) they didn't find anything or replace anything. I'm kinda pissed off.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
unfortunately when your battery dies it does no good to jump it as it will not stay running. The warranty does say they reimburse if not able to get repaired at a dealership.
I worked emergency road service for several years. I never had an issue where jumping a car that would not stay running. Once jumped, the vehicle uses energy from the alternator.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was there a reason you didn't contact your dealer about the battery instead of AAA? My wife's start/stop battery went out on her Grand Cherokee Overland after two years and I contact my dealer. They said bring it in to be checked so I did and while they were checking it they also checked the main battery also. Service tech said the start /stop battery was dead and the main battery even though it didn't show any signs of being weak when cranking the vehicle he told me it showed to be a tad weak. They replaced both batteries which was over $500.00 dollars including labor at Zero cost to me under warranty. They said sorry for the inconvenience and if I needed anything else let them know. Your dealership is the first contact to make not Jeep or Ram or Dodge or Chrysler! If you don't have faith in the dealership you buy from go somewhere else. Batteries are covered under warranty, if the vehicle is older than a couple of years old they should still replace the battery at a prorated cost but you wouldnt pay full price.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting to see the complainer on the original post hasn't said another word! Probably just your everyday whiner wanting to complain especially when it looks like the problem was due to his on ignorance in handling the problem.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting to see the complainer on the original post hasn't said another word! Probably just your everyday whiner wanting to complain especially when it looks like the problem was due to his on ignorance in handling the problem.
Yeah, sometimes when a person is upset they may not remember things correctly that were told to them, or they didn't convey pertinent information correctly. However, as much as I've heard about asinine things dealers sometimes do or say, under these circumstances the battery was so clearly under warranty it's hard to reconcile. I'm guessing the OP had AAA install a new battery to get him on his way, then thought Ram was going to reimburse him with cash. Of course, that's not how the warranty works.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 065090 miles.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My 2019 Laramie's battery went bad while still under Warranty. AAA came out and replaced it for me. I sent all receipts and paper work requested to Ram. 3 months later still no communication or reimbursement. I contacted Ram and they replied "case closed" with no explanation. I replied back asking what happened, that i never got reimbursed. SILENCE! CRICKETS! Thanks Ram. Great service. I was going to go to local dealer and order a 2022 Laramie . Think i will wait
Hi John,
We are very sorry to hear that. Please follow up with us via PM. We would be happy to look into this for you.

Rob
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
When did you purchase your 2019? The warranties on a lot of 2019's have expired based on time, regardless of how many miles they have. There is no excuse in my opinion for them not to at least tell you why they aren't covering it. @RamCares
Thank you for the tag!

Rob
Ram Cares

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do a battery load test before your 3 year anniversary mine decided not to crank the engine at -40c in a garage load test showed bad cells got an agm free replacement for 5 years from canadian tire
Winnipeg is probably the best place to test the longevity of a battery.

OP
OP
J

johnhenryculver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
UPDATE: After finally getting a response from Ram Cares they reimbursed me for the battery replacement .It was still under warranty . The guy i delt with said i should have been reimbursed from the beggining as i had all receipts and print out of battery test. I did not get the vehicle towed to a Dodge dealer as this happened on a Sunday, i had a handicapped person in the truck with me and a truck full of groceries.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
21 Limited with a dead battery. It would not jump off with a heavy dury fully charged CAT jumper box. I took the battery to the dealer I purchased the truck from and due to new Ram dictates they are unable to replace the battery under warranty unless the vehicle is there. A previous 19 limited was lemoned due to this same repeating issue. The dealer recommended tow service was unable to tow the 19 due to no power to put the vehicle in neutral. I know the mechanical procedure for neutral however I will not touch it for 1 million liability reasons in this nwo we live in.
So it’s Christmas and my truck is dead.
Answer
still under 3 year warranty and an additional 8 year full warranty I bought out of pocket a new 1000 cca battery from autozone. Truck starts fine now.
question
can I
and how do I get reimbursement for an emergency battery purchase.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all. I really didn’t want to bug the dealership this close to Christmas anymore and understand their clearly imposed dictates from Ram.
just wondering if someone knows the key for battery cost reimbursement or is that a thing anymore with the (truck must be on lot to warranty a battery)
thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I'd suggest you contact @johnhenryculver, who you posted directly underneath. In that post he says he was reimbursed by Ram for the battery he bought. Ask him how he was able to do that.

We just went through a battery failure on our '21 Limited. To me it wasn't worth the hassle of having it towed to the closest dealership (25 minutes away), finding the time tomorrow to pick it up, and arranging a ride. And then I'd still be stuck with an OEM battery. I'm not gonna sweat the $125 the new NAPA battery cost. It's not worth the grief of fighting them for it. I guess I'm fortunate that the wife and I both have well-paying jobs, and I might be more concerned if that weren't the case. But since we do, life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yep. Been there too. The dealer has to check the battery in the truck to determine if it is dead or otherwise. Unless he does that he doesn't get reimbursed.
Will be interesting to know how johnhenryculver got reimbursed.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
21 Limited with a dead battery. It would not jump off with a heavy dury fully charged CAT jumper box. I took the battery to the dealer I purchased the truck from and due to new Ram dictates they are unable to replace the battery under warranty unless the vehicle is there. A previous 19 limited was lemoned due to this same repeating issue. The dealer recommended tow service was unable to tow the 19 due to no power to put the vehicle in neutral. I know the mechanical procedure for neutral however I will not touch it for 1 million liability reasons in this nwo we live in.
So it’s Christmas and my truck is dead.
Answer
still under 3 year warranty and an additional 8 year full warranty I bought out of pocket a new 1000 cca battery from autozone. Truck starts fine now.
question
can I
and how do I get reimbursement for an emergency battery purchase.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all. I really didn’t want to bug the dealership this close to Christmas anymore and understand their clearly imposed dictates from Ram.
just wondering if someone knows the key for battery cost reimbursement or is that a thing anymore with the (truck must be on lot to warranty a battery)
thanks

Your lucky you didn't get a tow truck driver who wanted to put skid pads under the tries and pull it on to a rollback.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I'd suggest you contact @johnhenryculver, who you posted directly underneath. In that post he says he was reimbursed by Ram for the battery he bought. Ask him how he was able to do that.

We just went through a battery failure on our '21 Limited. To me it wasn't worth the hassle of having it towed to the closest dealership (25 minutes away), finding the time tomorrow to pick it up, and arranging a ride. And then I'd still be stuck with an OEM battery. I'm not gonna sweat the $125 the new NAPA battery cost. It's not worth the grief of fighting them for it. I guess I'm fortunate that the wife and I both have well-paying jobs, and I might be more concerned if that weren't the case. But since we do, life is too short to sweat the small stuff.
Stop making sense or we will beat you into submission with unreasonable emotional responses.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My Power Wagon battery failed in the first 200 miles. I limped it to the dealer and they had to charge the battery and then load test it before I got a new battery. If was away from the dealer I would have purchased the best battery I could for $200 and put it in myself. Why get so worked up about a $200 battery on a $80,000 truck.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Not all of them. The factory battery in my 2013 lasted 7 years, the factory battery in my wife's Equinox made it 8 years, and the two factory batteries in my 2015 3500 are still running strong.
Ditto - my son just replaced the battery in the 2015 I bought in November 2014.