Beginning my search / learning process

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarryN

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Hi - hope that you don't mind my learning process.

I am pretty familiar with vans but have only started to look at trucks in a serious way. They have come a long way in the past 40 years.

The reason I am looking at trucks is that the vans on the market really lack weight carrying capacity and towing capability compared to pretty much any truck on the market. Even the dually Ford Transit is not all that great by comparison, so I am hesitant to buy a truck that isn't substantially better than a van can do, because that is better for everything else that I am wanting.

The RAM megacab is the main reason I am interested in a ram trucks. That is the main driver for being interested in RAM pickup trucks for me.

I only want a 4wd, because I just do. Most of the time I don't need it, but have been stuck on some fairly nominal things in the past so I am wanting the clearance of a truck and 4wd. Also at some point it might be used with a boat, and the boat ramps in CA are fairly steep and get slimy. I have seen RWD trucks go backwards down the ramp into the water and the driver was more or less helpless.

The air ride, at least in the rear, is also interesting, because I have back problems - so this is the trade off I seem to be facing of 3500 dual rear wheels vs lighter duty versions.

It was over 100 F at my shop yesterday, so I decided to leave and drive past the local dealer - drive through the lot. They had one megacab in stock - in white.

I just wanted to take a quick look - not drive.

So this is what I think I am seeing:
- Single rear wheel
- megacab
- White - which is not what I would normally buy at all, but it is hot here.. ( normally would buy silver ish color )
- Limited model and the sales guy said it was loaded with everything
- The sun was so bright I could not really read the window sticker
- I should have looked more closely, but I am not sure if it was a 2500 or 3500
- 4wd
- air bag suspension in the rear, coils in the front.

Nearby was a full size bed laramie
- Normal dual cab style
- very beefy leaf springs

The thinking that I have is that my son in law / daughter could use the truck for camping as well with the kids.
- The rear seat folded down is large enough for the 2 kids if interesting and large enough.
- For me, the rear seat folded down is good enough for occasional use.
- I am just a bit over 5-10 and could not stretch out fully except maybe diagonal, so it is tight but ok for one adult ( mega cab )

The sales guy said that 2024 is the last year for mega cabs, and on the RAM web site, they don't list the mega cab as an option.

Also it seemed like the 3500 dual rear wheel versions don't have the air ride option.

The price was pretty high, but that is a separate discussion. Right now I am just trying to verify if my observations make sense.

A few pics.

Thanks for any insights / comments.

Harry

Attachments

• IMG_20240719_175829023_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240719_175829023_HDR.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240719_175847690_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240719_175847690_HDR.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
H

HarryN

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Slimy ramps - you must fish the Delta a lot.

Well this was actually near Black Butte Lake IIRC, but it was long enough ago that I am not sure.

I was a little surprised that the sales guy said " no more mega cabs in the future", but I don't see them on their web site either.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well this was actually near Black Butte Lake IIRC, but it was long enough ago that I am not sure.

I was a little surprised that the sales guy said " no more mega cabs in the future", but I don't see them on their web site either.
I don't know if it is true but the gossip/prediction sites say the mega-cab is going away in 2025.

RAM's rear air leveling system isn't for your back, it is to level the truck when loaded. The 2500 rides much nicer (I think the pictures in your original post show a 2500) than a 3500 which has rear leafs even if the truck has the rear air leveling system. If you want a better ride, look at GM's HDs with IFS, Ford and RAM HDs use solid front axles.

I watch the Miami boat ramp YT videos, no shortage of trucks sliding down the ramp and into the water. On slippery/steep ramps, the only safe way to load is for someone with their foot on the brakes and another loading the boat.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I haven't been to Black Butte in many, many years.

OP
OP
H

HarryN

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
is the wide track only available on the 4500 / 5500 versions?

The tighter turn radius is interesting.

I looked at the ram web site and could not tell if they are all wide track, none, optional.

Thanks

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is my second 2500 Mega Cab. Don't over think it. Unless you seriously need/want a dually diesel...the 2500 6.4 is plenty powerful enough for all of your needs. I pull a Nitro Z21 Bassboat. My MPG while towing is usually about 10. Without a load, and keeping the cruise control in check on the highway, I'm averaging about 15-17. In town it's normally around 12.