Best Basic OBD Scanner (code scanner)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Tried the one I bought 2 days ago from Amazon, today. Dead simple to connect. Works great. Well worth the price of admission. You don't have to be the least bit tech savvy to make it work.
OBDLink MX+ Turns Your iOS, Android or Windows Device into a Professional-Grade OBD2 Scanner and Vehicle Performance Monitor https://a.co/d/4qwTrfd

Last edited:

James Winkelman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have both alfa obd and autel. Autel does a ton of stuff but u need a yearly subscription. Alfa also does a ton but does not need a yearly subscription. I would suggest googling what u will use it for mainly and go with the one that fits your needs.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m not looking to do any programming or anything crazy. I just want to run diagnostics periodically to make sure everything is running well. I travel to remote locations and I want to have more information on the status of my truck.
There are a number of Android apps out there that will do that. I use dash command. No cord needed. Just get a cheap Bluetooth ODB plug from Amazon and the app will connect to it wirelessly

69_XS29L

Reaction score
Ram Year
'95 2500 4x4 '03 OffRoad 1500 '85 W350 4spd
Engine
8L V-10, 5.7L Hemi, 360 4bbl
Beyond OPs budget/interest sounds like. FWIW. I bought an Autel MX808S. The American built unit I was looking at would not reprogram a Honda key for an '01 Civic. Got a smokin' deal with a discount code, that sealed the deal. My pro mechanic days ended in the 80's, still fix/build everything I own.
Pros: bi directional, real time monitoring, good display, very capable.
Negatives: Chinese made, requires upload (falsified) personal information to Chinese servers to update, subscription based, not OBDI compatible.
I don't anticipate the subscription being a problem. Not changing what I own, don't work for others usually. Will just update software before expiration, keep the unit off of the WiFi, call it good.

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use the Bluedriver, around $100. It connects to the OBD2 terminal and connects to your android phone by bluetooth. The features are quite good. It has car running analysis, reads most if not all codes. You need to download the app. The app will give you the top ten solutions to the codes it gives you based on user feedback. Bluedriver do send updates. The unit is quite small. Of course you need the cell phone and a signal! Obviously it is only good as long as the company exists. Personally I am very happy with it.