Big white collar layoffs at Stellantis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was never a fan of that guy, but I always admired how he, as a third party candidate, made that election interesting.
GM HAD to buy him out... for 4 billion dollars. He was making computer/ logic parts for cars which were dismal on a great day. I remember how prolifically we techs were replacing ECM's, intermittent wiper logic boards, etc. because that miniature schnauzer absolutely refused GM's engineering specs. His recalcitrance was why GM faltered so badly. My Father had worked with H. Ross Perot back in the IBM days of Perot. Dad would comment about Mr. Perot being the same both in employee meetings AND how he presented on his campaign!

After GM changes things at EDS, Computers got WAY more reliable! Now! Whaddaya think of that!? ;)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This chart pre-dates the strike, and shows what an outlier Stellantis is in terms of increases. "Off The Chart" comes to mind.
I remember a 60 minutes piece about 25 years ago where CBS was interviewing assembly line workers in Detroit. It had to do with the same kind of strife germane today. They interviewed a guy who only had a high school level education, and no other training/ trade school/ college.
In the interview, the reporter got the hourly pay this guy was paid. All he did was install one door panel on the assembly line all day, every day. Calculating long term benefits/disability/retirement, and so on.... this guy was making $144,000 per year. And these folks wonder why there was such a loud sucking sound coming from the southern border! Yeah.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO it seems that when covid hit, and it was hard to get vehicles and parts, a lot of people started to pay way more than the vehicles were worth. The auto manufacturers aren't stupid...if they realize us dumb a s s Americans are willing to pay MSRP, or way over just to get a vehicle, they were going to keep the prices way up there. Prices won't come down until people stop paying these ridiculous prices!! Just my opinion.
..... and the government will imprison someone who gouges for ice and other crucial necessities after a hurricane/disaster. What a friggin dichotomy, eh?

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stelantis, like many automakers, has foolishly embraced EVs as the future. (Federal bribes to automakers.)

Customers do NOT want EVs.
- Over priced.
- Infrastructure NOT ready.
- Electrical grid can NOT support wide spread EVs AND IS unreliable.
- Homes need modifying for charging purposes.
- NOT enough charging stations, where needed, including long distance and huge holiday driving days.
- Battery fires.
- Heavier vehicles. Wear and tear on roads. Some parking garages do NOT allow EVs. Tire wear?

---

>>> Longhorn is my third Ram. Great truck AND ride. >>> I will NOT buy another RAM, unless it is ICE AND reasonable price point. <<<

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
..... and the government will imprison someone who gouges for ice and other crucial necessities after a hurricane/disaster. What a friggin dichotomy, eh?
Not really a dichotomy as a confederacy of dunces and stooges.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stelantis, like many automakers, has foolishly embraced EVs as the future. (Federal bribes to automakers.)

- Over priced.
- NOT enough charging stations, where needed, including long distance and huge holiday driving days.
- Battery fires.
- Heavier vehicles. Wear and tear on roads. Some parking garages do NOT allow EVs. Tire wear?

---

>>> Longhorn is my third Ram. Great truck AND ride. >>> I will NOT buy another RAM, unless it is ICE AND reasonable price point. <<<
I enjoy my Ram very much. My wife loves hitting the right pedal with the hemi so much that I may have to go all-in and upgrade the exhaust, along with driving lessons. My sister is a climate scientist forever talking about floods and recently bought an air stream and truck to tow it. She ordered the Ford EV and then found out how far it would tow the air stream and decided to get the 6 cylinder bi-turbo, which they refuse to drive unless they are towing. I mentioned she could get a Ram with the small diesel for good MPG and got a litany of abuse about how bad they were for the environment. I nearly asked how she thought all her Amazon goods were being delivered to her from across the globe. Just goes to prove that just because you have an elevated degree doesn't mean you actually know anything, just shows you are good at school work, not real work.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I never really knew of H Ross on the business side, but within the U.S. Military's Special Operations side...he was someone you could count on for a whole litany of things. You won't find many that'll speak ill of him within my community.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I never really knew of H Ross on the business side, but within the U.S. Military's Special Operations side...he was someone you could count on for a whole litany of things. You won't find many that'll speak ill of him within my community.
Without saying things that you really can't discuss, can you elaborate on this statement? Does his company produce things you used, or are you referring to support for those that served?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I voted for Perot then, and would do so again. He correctly predicted the banking crisis, NAFTA giant sucking sound, called out profligate govt spending, etc, etc. He was skewered for it at the time, but history has proven him correct.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

- Over priced.
- Battery fires.
You forgot the big ones. Range and range anxiety. And I saw this today too, that EV's are far less reliable than ICE or hybrid:

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Saw that too - EVs have nearly twice as many issues. Newer ones seem to be doing better - but problems just haven’t manifested themselves yet.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
To get back on topic, I think (based on friends with EVs) the reluctance is also due to the other costs like batteries and garage chargers. My DIL had a Prius and the first time they had to replace a battery it nearly broke 'em.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To get back on topic, I think (based on friends with EVs) the reluctance is also due to the other costs like batteries and garage chargers. My DIL had a Prius and the first time they had to replace a battery it nearly broke 'em.
I've also seen automotive history films showing that numerous other auto makers made EV's as far back as the end of the 1890's. They have ALL eventually abandoned the concept.