Black transmission fluid 3 months after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smallone67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello. I recently had my transmission pan replaced and new transmission fluid 3 months ago.

I took my truck in for an oil change to another shop and they are now telling me my transmission fluid is black.
Wondering if there would be any reason for this?

It’s the ZF transmission on a 2014 sport 5.7. Thanks!

Tony Donato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What kind of transmission fluid did you put in it 3 months ago? If you give me some details, I can help you with this. Are you up to doing a transmission fluid swap on your own?

OP
OP
S

Smallone67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I paid a transmission shop. They put in ZF transmission they say. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Smallone67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The original pan was a sealed unit. They are saying they checked the fill hole on the new pan.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I serviced my '15 at 100k miles, the fluid was dark. IMO, the OE fluid does turn dark. New OE fluid is green, and a normal drain and fill only replaces about 5 quarts or so (~60%, maybe?).

New fluid vs. old:

20210101_173936.jpg

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Hard to change all of the fluid at once without the right machine. Left over trans fluid could absolutely look black. It will show up when mixed with the new fluid. I would not worry about it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A while back for some unknown reason manu's went to black clutches or friction packs in transmissions instead of nude in the previous generation. It really confuses transmission fluid checks because black fluid doesn't mean what it used to. Best unofficial way to tell fluid is smell not visual, it should smell nasty but not burnt. For sure you can have black looking fluid after 3 mos drain and fill, but if you take some fluid out and spread it likely wont look black at all.

Tony Donato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No I paid a transmission shop. They put in ZF transmission they say. Thanks!
What turns both motor oil and transmission fluid black are the anti-oxidants.

If the fluid is blended with GTL or PAO, there isn't much need for aminic antioxidants (or other types). However, if it's a Group III or lesser ATF, then it will turn dark really fast. Basically in a couple of heat cycles. That being said, not all Group III ATFs are the same. For instance, Castrol TranSynd 668 (I run it in a 8HP70) is Group III+ and PAO. I can run it for 30K miles and it's barely darker than when I put it in.

Shell makes the ATF for ZF at their Texas plant. A few years ago the reformulated it with GTL. So Lifeguard 8 / Mopar 8&9 Speed should take a long time to turn dark. It actually never turns completely dark.

My best guess is that your previous shop used anything but Lifeguard 8 / Mopar 8&9 Speed fluid.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did the shop that did the oil change and told you the transmission fluid was black follow the ZF fluid check procedure? If they put the truck up on a lift and pulled the fill plug with the engine off you lost a quart of fluid. The fluid level check procedure requires the engine to be running. You may want to check into how they made the fluid assessment.

OP
OP
S

Smallone67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did the shop that did the oil change and told you the transmission fluid was black follow the ZF fluid check procedure? If they put the truck up on a lift and pulled the fill plug with the engine off you lost a quart of fluid. The fluid level check procedure requires the engine to be running. You may want to check into how they made the fluid assessment.
Thanks. The transmission shop that performed the service “mister transmission” is going to check it out for me next week.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello. I recently had my transmission pan replaced and new transmission fluid 3 months ago.

I took my truck in for an oil change to another shop and they are now telling me my transmission fluid is black.
Wondering if there would be any reason for this?

It’s the ZF transmission on a 2014 sport 5.7. Thanks!
These slimy oil change places use color to sell fluid services. Color is only an indicator, and not a reason unto it's own merit.
Get another opinion/ inspection. I think it is likely that they are trying to put on over on you, OR, your trans is going out! Cheers!

OP
OP
S

Smallone67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
went down and had a look at the pan. Looks like they opened the drain plug to look at it. Wonder what would make them do that given the fill plug wouldn’t cause me to lose fluid. Seems pretty sketchy.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
went down and had a look at the pan. Looks like they opened the drain plug to look at it. Wonder what would make them do that given the fill plug wouldn’t cause me to lose fluid. Seems pretty sketchy.
I wouldn't trust any of the Mister Transmissions in Calgary.Do the fluid/pan swap yourself,it's not really hard to do,and then you'll know it's done right. Here's the instructions for checking the fluid level after you've done the pan swap,pay attention to the very first paragraph,it's important you jack the truck up high enough in the rear to level the transmissions pan rail,very few shops do level the transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 4