Black transmission fluid 3 months after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
It isn't impossible that it's eating the bands. If it is you might find small particles in the fluid. Once a tranni starts munching, changing the fluid won't stop it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
hello. I recently had my transmission pan replaced and new transmission fluid 3 months ago.

I took my truck in for an oil change to another shop and they are now telling me my transmission fluid is black.
Wondering if there would be any reason for this?

It’s the ZF transmission on a 2014 sport 5.7. Thanks!
How would they know? They must have opened it up ,Maybe I say BS.
or the guy changing the oil did not do it, but if you got a new pan, should be new oil.
If he knew how to do these.
There is no dipstick on these transmissions.
I think someone is looking for a big payday.
Did he check the blinker fluid?
BTW , are you having ant problems with it? Mileage?

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The original pan was a sealed unit. They are saying they checked the fill hole on the new pan.
The transmission pan, originally, has a drain plug. Some newer pans do not have a drain plug.
There is no “pan fill hole”. The transmission case has a fill hole/plug. If they opened the case Fill hole while transmission was not running, Fluid would rapidly drain from the fill plug. If it’s opened and at operating temperature while running it should drizzle drain.
They could have possibly loosened either plug just to see the fluid color. If you are experiencing zero shifting issues and your previous shop used Mopar/zf fluid for sure, you might consider doing another service. A drain and fill with pan/filter swap doesn’t change all the transmission fluid.
Either way, if you’re not experiencing shifting issues you’re likely gtg. Maybe return to the original shop and ask them to recheck fluid level and they’ll see fluid color.
Good luck

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone make a torque converter with a drain plug on it?
How long would it take to fill an empty converter once emptied?
Maybe this isn't such a good idea

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Question, when you say shop,
A real service garage, or is a quick lub joint?

We have a new in town now and it seems good, but they do like changing stuff

There is no drain on the Converter,
I don’t think .
A quick lub shop would not be set up to do one of these transmissions
You have to raise the rear of the vehicle

There was a good post on doing a oil change on these a while back, I am a bit hassy on who did it, Wild One?

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dark fluid is one thing. If it smells burnt that’s a problem. You’ll know burnt. Shops are in build to make $$$. I changed my oil in my ram 04. Then I went by a shop to get an alignment (not related). The person looking at my truck comes back and says my rack is leaking & I should let em replace it. The oil filter is over the rack, so when I changed it oil got on the rubber boot on the rack. I knew it wasn’t leaking so I just said ok. Maybe next week can’t do it now. And never went to that place again. Most legit shops will show you the issue & give you the old part. Most. I’ve seen shops paint hoses & charge for all new hoses. Happened to my wife’s friend. Same with fluids they clean off the drain plug & nothing else. Then charge for fluid change. Hell they used a punch on my wife’s friends trans pan to drain. Then put a rubber plug in the hole. That fell out. That was my 1st fwd trans build. In the 90’s.