Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The oil deserves its fans, mods or not, it just so happens that the mods know their stuff and recognize the quality. They also appear to be wealthy and love quality, that's exactly who is attracted to HPL; people who want a no holds barred oil and are willing to pay for the oil, the transparency, and the service.

One of them didn't like the oil he was running in his 3.0 diesel, the oil was evaporating off the top of the piston while towing because it got so hot. So he asked HPL for a change, and their going to give him a custom blend. Do you think valvoline would do that or literally any other high quality oil blender?

Not just the mods either, another guy asked for a blend to run in his Jeep and they blended it for him and even named it after his username.

Another group of guys were discussing how they didn't like all the VII's in oil so they were wondering if it was possible to blend a 5w-30 without VII and guess what, HPL delivered it within a week or two "no vii euro" is now a thing, just for them, because they asked.

That's just one thread with the same guys posting over and over, VRP has its fans but a large portion of the fans are there due to the price which is understandable; not everyone can or wants to pay for this. I believe VRP to be good at cleaning, but that appears to be its biggest attribute. How does it stand up to wear, shearing, engine runtime and everything else.

There are many more non mods that are happy with HPL, and not every mod runs HPL either. Wayne would be one of the most prominent but again look at him and what he values in an oil. He's not into HPL because they're a sponsor, he's into HPL because it delivers in spades and he values that.
Oh, OK I get it, you are a personal friend of the BITOG staff, so you are here in support of their vigorous promotion of HPL.

That does not change the fact that while almost everyone will agree HPL makes a great product, they will not convince the vast majority of the buying public that their boutique oil is worth 2X to 3X what other mainstream quality oils costs. Regardless how much its hyped up on BITOG.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Oh, OK I get it, you are a personal friend of the BITOG staff, so you are here in support of their vigorous promotion of HPL.
I wouldn't know them from Adam, never met them, I've talked to you here in this thread more than I've ever talked to them.

That does not change the fact that while almost everyone will agree HPL makes a great product

Yes, that is the point; it's not being promoted due to sponsorship, it's being promoted due to being a great product.

This reminds me of Amsoil and how people get bent out of shape due to the sales being MLM or a "pyramid scheme". I couldn't care less, they also make a really great product so you look at what it is/does, the money it costs, and you make an objective and informed opinion; either the oil works for you or it doesn't, ignore the fluff around it all.

, they will not convince the vast majority of the buying public that their boutique oil is worth 2X to 3X what other mainstream quality oils costs. Regardless how much its hyped up on BITOG.

They're not trying to convince anyone let alone the vast majority of people. As I said, sales from BITOG makes up a tiny fraction of their income, a few percent if that. David has said more than once, their product won't work for everyone and they're completely fine with that. They're not trying to compete with off the shelf oil or on lowest price, they're competing on being some of the best oil money can buy.

They have no ads, they rarely even post on BITOG and when they do it's to answer questions about the oil itself. Once or twice a year they post a sale.

It's completely inaccurate to paint HPL in a negative light just because they happen to be a sponsor, the product stands for itself, full stop. If BITOG mods happen to use it, its because of the quality of the oil, not due to the sponsorship.

But I'm not going to argue this anymore either, either you see it by now or you don't and it doesn't really matter to me. Enjoy your Sunday.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I wouldn't know them from Adam, never met them, I've talked to you here in this thread more than I've ever talked to them.

Yes, that is the point; it's not being promoted due to sponsorship, it's being promoted due to being a great product.

This reminds me of Amsoil and how people get bent out of shape due to the sales being MLM or a "pyramid scheme". I couldn't care less, they also make a really great product so you look at what it is/does, the money it costs, and you make an objective and informed opinion; either the oil works for you or it doesn't, ignore the fluff around it all.

They're not trying to convince anyone let alone the vast majority of people. As I said, sales from BITOG makes up a tiny fraction of their income, a few percent if that. David has said more than once, their product won't work for everyone and they're completely fine with that. They're not trying to compete with off the shelf oil or on lowest price, they're competing on being some of the best oil money can buy.

They have no ads, they rarely even post on BITOG and when they do it's to answer questions about the oil itself. Once or twice a year they post a sale.

It's completely inaccurate to paint HPL in a negative light just because they happen to be a sponsor, the product stands for itself, full stop. If BITOG mods happen to use it, its because of the quality of the oil, not due to the sponsorship.

But I'm not going to argue this anymore either, either you see it by now or you don't and it doesn't really matter to me. Enjoy your Sunday.

Gimmee some o' dem tranquilizers, will you?

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For those of you that have been following my recent quest to find a replacement for the Amsoil SS 0W-40 that I had been using, here is an update.

I will be ordering 4 gallons of the HPL Premium Plus PCMO 5W-40. While a HPL rep suggested that I go with the Euro PC 5W-40, I decided not to go this route as this oil contains no moly. I'm sure that it is a great oil (as all of their products seem to be) and would be an excellent choice for many engines, but I'm just not willing to spend this kind of money on an oil that may, or may not, be a good fit for a Hemi. Also, just a fyi for anyone considering either the Euro PC or SC oils, I learned that these oils are identical.

Their Premium Plus oils excel in cold weather which is why I chose it over their PCMO and PPCMO. I plan on extending my oci's out to 7-8,000 miles and will do uoa's to see how it is holding up. I am definitely anxious to give it a try and will report my experience with it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How much per gallon?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I completed my first blackstone analysis after about 70k miles. Could get some interpretation of the results?

I used valvoline extended protection 5w-30 with 32 oz of lubeguard. I also ran two bottles of redline SI-1 during the previous tank of fuel prior to the oil change.

Looks good.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For those of you that have been following my recent quest to find a replacement for the Amsoil SS 0W-40 that I had been using, here is an update.

I will be ordering 4 gallons of the HPL Premium Plus PCMO 5W-40. While a HPL rep suggested that I go with the Euro PC 5W-40, I decided not to go this route as this oil contains no moly. I'm sure that it is a great oil (as all of their products seem to be) and would be an excellent choice for many engines, but I'm just not willing to spend this kind of money on an oil that may, or may not, be a good fit for a Hemi. Also, just a fyi for anyone considering either the Euro PC or SC oils, I learned that these oils are identical.

Their Premium Plus oils excel in cold weather which is why I chose it over their PCMO and PPCMO. I plan on extending my oci's out to 7-8,000 miles and will do uoa's to see how it is holding up. I am definitely anxious to give it a try and will report my experience with it.

Only the 5w-40 is the same, Supercar 5w-40 = Euro 5w-40 but the rest of the Euro is different (no moly), and all of SuperCar does have moly.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How much per gallon?
Without shipping $54.42 ($13.60/qt.) with the BITOG 15% discount. Shipping is $91.94 so with that factored in $77.40 per gallon ($19.35/qt.).

On the reps advice I have reached out to Mary Jane at Advance Lubricants to explore other shipping options. But I have lived in Alaska my entire life so I am no stranger to paying very high shipping costs. If this is the only option, so be it.
Only the 5w-40 is the same, Supercar 5w-40 = Euro 5w-40 but the rest of the Euro is different (no moly), and all of SuperCar does have moly.
Wow, thank you for this! I have spent a large amount of the last two days researching these oils and I did not see this. I thought that all of the weights were the same oil and I certainly did not intend to spread misinformation.

I did have a hard time just trying to find out how much moly, calcium, boron, magnesium etc. these oils had in the different offerings and for the most part I still really don't know. VOA's that I could find did not include the multiple viscosity offerings so all I could do is ASSUME that if the PCMO xW-30 (for example) had X ppm's of moly, the PCMO xW-40 had roughly the same amount. And so on. But there is a very good chance that I just missed it. It took me some time just to verify that the oil that I settled on had a high level of moly.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did have a hard time just trying to find out how much moly, calcium, boron, magnesium etc. these oils had in the different offerings and for the most part I still really don't know.

This spreadsheet above is a pretty good starting point for a bunch of different oils, only a few HPL's on the list under the 30 grade tab, but you can kind of get a feel for how the product line looks. So you can see how the Euro lineup has very little moly but much higher doses of boron, and everything else in their line favours high does of moly and very little boron.

There are some discrepancies, the one HPL Premium Plus 0w-30 on that sheet from Oil Analyzers says over 1040 ppm moly, don't know how that got there it might be a typo, the VOA I did at blackstone of P+ 0w-30 is reported there in row number 20 on that tab, and shows a more consistent number of 860 ppm.

VOA's that I could find did not include the multiple viscosity offerings so all I could do is ASSUME that if the PCMO xW-30 (for example) had X ppm's of moly, the PCMO xW-40 had roughly the same amount. And so on. But there is a very good chance that I just missed it. It took me some time just to verify that the oil that I settled on had a high level of moly.

They're hard to find for sure. I think its safe to assume that different grades in the same line will be pretty close (other than that little euro = supercar thing going on at 5w-40). I also don't think it matters much whether the number of moly is 650 vs 750, we probably sweat these details more than they actually matter, as long as it has a healthy dose of moly than that's all I look for.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

This spreadsheet above is a pretty good starting point for a bunch of different oils, only a few HPL's on the list under the 30 grade tab, but you can kind of get a feel for how the product line looks. So you can see how the Euro lineup has very little moly but much higher doses of boron, and everything else in their line favours high does of moly and very little boron.

There are some discrepancies, the one HPL Premium Plus 0w-30 on that sheet from Oil Analyzers says over 1040 ppm moly, don't know how that got there it might be a typo, the VOA I did at blackstone of P+ 0w-30 is reported there in row number 20 on that tab, and shows a more consistent number of 860 ppm.

They're hard to find for sure. I think its safe to assume that different grades in the same line will be pretty close (other than that little euro = supercar thing going on at 5w-40). I also don't think it matters much whether the number of moly is 650 vs 750, we probably sweat these details more than they actually matter, as long as it has a healthy dose of moly than that's all I look for.

That's right - we've debated how much moly additive is "enough" to prevent the dreaded tick. We know Red Line oil works with beaucoup moly added, but how much is actually needed?

We don't know. @Burla provided a wear test study that showed a sharp reduction in wear above ~ 200 ppm added to oils. This is important, to me. Based on this information, I look for oils with a minimum of 250 ppm moly added, I added 50 ppm for variability cushion and for consumption (it plates out on high wear surfaces).

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Thanks for the spreadsheet link; I found that some time ago and have referred to it often. This is where I got the moly content of the Premium Plus PCMO in the 0W-30 weight.

If you look at lines 20 and 22 on the 30 Grade Oil tab, line 20 states that the oil tested is "HPL Passenger Plus 0W-30" with 860 ppm of moly, and line 22 states that the oil tested is "HPL Premium Plus Passenger Car 0W-30" with 1043 ppm of moly. There is no "Passenger Plus" oil in HPL's lineup but their is a "Premium Plus". This alone is confusing for my old brain; are they the same oil (Premium Plus) or is line 20 actually the Premium? Either way, good amounts of moly in both.

I have reached out to Advanced Lubricants to both confirm the moly content of the Premium Plus 5W-40 and to see if there is a cheaper shipping option to Alaska. I am quite certain that there is no other option to the shipping method and cost but I have lived in Alaska my entire life and am used to exorbitant shipping costs, so it is what it is.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Its absolutely being promoted at BITOG because they are a site sponsor. Look at their past history before HPL. It easily speaks for itself. There are lots of other great products they don't promote. If it just about quality, what about those?
Seriously??? Where on earth did I supposedly "PAINT HPL IN A NEGATIVE LIGHT"? I called it a "great oil" that no one can debate. That allegation is completely inaccurate.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have confirmed that the Premium Plus 5W-40 has moly but for whatever reason I was not provided with a ppm number. But this is good enough for me so I just ordered a case of 4/1 gallon jugs of this oil.

And a HUGE thank you to Mary Jane at Advanced Lubrication; she was able to find a shipping option that dropped my shipping cost from $91.94 down to $28.50! This brought down my per quart cost from $19.35 to $15.39. I was paying $12.25-$12.50 for Amsoil SS so for this cost difference it's pretty much a no brainer for me. As others have noted, outstanding customer service!

I will do a VOA on this oil when I receive it and will post the results here. I would like to know just how much moly is in it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Its absolutely being promoted at BITOG because they are a site sponsor. Look at their past history before HPL. It easily speaks for itself. There are lots of other great products they don't promote. If it just about quality, what about those?

Seriously??? Where on earth did I supposedly "PAINT HPL IN A NEGATIVE LIGHT"? I called it a "great oil" that no one can debate. That allegation is completely inaccurate.

The implication is that HPL is being praised due to its sponsorship, otherwise why mention the fact that they are board sponsors?

These are independent facts:
HPL is an amazing oil, some of the best you can buy, with best in class customer service
HPL is highly regarded on BITOG
HPL sponsors BITOG

You only put those facts together in the same breath if you want to imply that the love of HPL on bitog is due (either all or in part) to their sponsorship.

I'm saying, leave that aspect out because HPL is promoted due to how great it/the company is. The sponsorship has nothing to do with it.

I already gave you an example of why HPL is favoured by one of the mods (wayne). It works amazing in his durango and diesels, and HPL is more than happy to do custom blends for him. It's a combination of amazing product, transparency, and first class service. That's it. He does not "promote" it like advertising, he tests it in his trucks/cars and simply puts the UOAs and other facts in a thread like anyone else including you can do for any oil you happen to love.

I can't spell it out any clearer than this which is why I'm not going to say any more on it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have confirmed that the Premium Plus 5W-40 has moly but for whatever reason I was not provided with a ppm number. But this is good enough for me so I just ordered a case of 4/1 gallon jugs of this oil.

And a HUGE thank you to Mary Jane at Advanced Lubrication; she was able to find a shipping option that dropped my shipping cost from $91.94 down to $28.50! This brought down my per quart cost from $19.35 to $15.39. I was paying $12.25-$12.50 for Amsoil SS so for this cost difference it's pretty much a no brainer for me. As others have noted, outstanding customer service!

I will do a VOA on this oil when I receive it and will post the results here. I would like to know just how much moly is in it.

I was hoping you would do a VOA but didn't want to mention it because "money". But looking forward to the results! :High 5: