Blend door clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bpolly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2009 ram 1500 hemi dual climate control

I've been hearing a clicking in my dash for a few days. I took the climate panel near the radio out and tried to figure out which actuator was clicking. It's not the 2 behind the radio or the 1 under the glove box. I disconnected each actuator one by one. None of them were the culprit. How do I access the actuator for the recirc door? Also been hearing sloshing coming from passenger side as if there was water in the dash. The sloshing happens every now and then, not constantly. I've only had the truck since Thanksgiving last year. Someone had been into the bottom of the hvac box in the passenger floor board. It's covered in a black flexible tar like coating. Any info ams suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I've been hearing a clicking in my dash for a few days. I took the climate panel near the radio out and tried to figure out which actuator was clicking. It's not the 2 behind the radio or the 1 under the glove box. I disconnected each actuator one by one. None of them were the culprit. How do I access the actuator for the recirc door? Also been hearing sloshing coming from passenger side as if there was water in the dash. The sloshing happens every now and then, not constantly. I've only had the truck since Thanksgiving last year. Someone had been into the bottom of the hvac box in the passenger floor board. It's covered in a black flexible tar like coating. Any info ams suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Hate to ruin your day,but you have to remove the dash and HVAC box to get to the actuator that's probably giving you trouble. While you're at it,you might as well replace the heater core,as there's a good chance it's causing your water sloshing issue.
There are kits to upgrade the actuators/blend doors if you go looking.
If you've never done the job,plan on spending the good part of a week-end to remove the dash and box

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Before you go pulling the whole HVAC unit ................

Take out your Lower & Upper glove compartments, i think the upper glove compartment is only held on by 1 screw, in the bottom center of the upper box.

Then look up at the bottom of your dash board, you will notice the Recirculation door & mounted on the left side of it, you will see the actuator.

Mode 1 & Mode 2 doors are behind the Radio bezel
The Blend door is close to the Fan
The recirculation Door is above the Fan & 2 glove compartments

1722660674573.png

some people add another AIR FILTER, called a Cabin Air Filter, to their HVAC system.

It just takes a little cutting to install it
I recently added it to my HVAC system on my 2016 Ram, it is identical to a 2009 Dodge Ram HVAC system

Here is a video, from another Ram owner

This guy removed the fan to keep the plastic bits & pieces from dropping down into it, easier than vacuuming the blower out afterward

little bit better filming in this video

Genos Garage sells the filter & door, check for prices

You will not have that elastic string thing on the lower glove box door

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OMG

Look at what these guys do to their HVAC system
it works but damn

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Before you go pulling the whole HVAC unit ................

Take out your Lower & Upper glove compartments, i think the upper glove compartment is only held on by 1 screw, in the bottom center of the upper box.

Then look up at the bottom of your dash board, you will notice the Recirculation door & mounted on the left side of it, you will see the actuator.

Mode 1 & Mode 2 doors are behind the Radio bezel
The Blend door is close to the Fan
The recirculation Door is above the Fan & 2 glove compartments

View attachment 547884

some people add another AIR FILTER, called a Cabin Air Filter, to their HVAC system.

It just takes a little cutting to install it
I recently added it to my HVAC system on my 2016 Ram, it is identical to a 2009 Dodge Ram HVAC system

Here is a video, from another Ram owner

This guy removed the fan to keep the plastic bits & pieces from dropping down into it, easier than vacuuming the blower out afterward

little bit better filming in this video

Genos Garage sells the filter & door, check for prices

You will not have that elastic string thing on the lower glove box door

Do you know which position is which on the recirculation door? Im having issues with my AC. Pressures are in pefrect range. Convert the psi to temp i should have about 50 degrees air but im getting about 75 out of the vents at idle. Im watching my recirculation door move toward the firewall assuming that is cab air and away from the firewall is outside air since i can see a wire screen past the door. When i turn my key on the door closes toward the firewall and stays there regardless of the switch position, until i turn the key off. Then it moves away from the firewall. I checked the blend door actuator by running the temp up, the actuator moves from down to up. Is there a way to physically check that that door is working?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when you remove the upper glove compartment
I would think that you can see movement
Using a flashlight, you should also see the Actuator moving the lever, that opens & closes the recirculation door

I found this post :

i see 1 thing that is not necessary
in this image, you do not need to cut the notch in the bottom center, just cut straight across

1722737191357.png
only the 2009 through early 2016 Ram are missing the door & filter

Rams built from January 2017 & newer, have the Cabin Air Filter Door, but Ram did not insert the Cab Filter itself

OP
OP
B

bpolly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did not see a screw holding the upper glove box in. It's held in tight though. I tried to get it out but didn't want to force it and break the plastic.

OP
OP
B

bpolly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Upon looking further around I found the 7mm screw. It was located on the back side of the upper glove box. I moved some wires and stuff around and was able to see the actuator. I tested it and it moved the accordion door up and down. For some reason the accordion door does not stay closed. It will revert to the open position. So I went back and was testing the other actuators since I can rule the recirc door actuator ok. As I listened carefully I think the sound might be the door itself broken. When I turn the ac to the floor I hear the popping again. I felt around on the box and actuator and I believe it's the actuator in the footwear behind the passenger side glow box. Now I have to figure out how to replace it.

OP
OP
B

bpolly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just when I got into drive it my ac blows hard like normal then almost quits blowing. Clicks a bunch and won't reset after I try the door reset.

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just went through almost the same thing you did. The blend doors right behind my stereo sounded like a machine gun when I started the truck up every time and I only had vent air. I ended up removing the air box and replacing all my blend doors with these doors. There is also a super helpful video they link on that page on their website.

The hardest part for me was getting the dash down by myself because I didn't have any help but overall the job was not as bad as I thought it would be. I took my time and cleaned out the air box and checked the heater and evaporator cores while I had everything apart. It's been about a week now and I have no more sounds coming from my dash and all the air works as it should.

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Upon looking further around I found the 7mm screw. It was located on the back side of the upper glove box. I moved some wires and stuff around and was able to see the actuator. I tested it and it moved the accordion door up and down. For some reason the accordion door does not stay closed. It will revert to the open position. So I went back and was testing the other actuators since I can rule the recirc door actuator ok. As I listened carefully I think the sound might be the door itself broken. When I turn the ac to the floor I hear the popping again. I felt around on the box and actuator and I believe it's the actuator in the footwear behind the passenger side glow box. Now I have to figure out how to replace it.
The factory blend doors are made out of plastic and I just had one of mine strip out, it's very likely that your door is broken also

MaximumSteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to address the clicking question. I had a 2009 with the same problem. When I took it to a dealer, back around 2014, they diagnosed the problem and said that it was a factory recall problem and repaired it for free. They did have to take my dash off in order to correct the issue. Hopefully this helps. Honestly not sure if they will still correct an old defencisy.

OP
OP
B

bpolly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to try the blower motor resistor to see if that will work with the speed control. That clicking is annoying af. Makes me want to punch something. Can I just unplug the actuator and make it stop clicking or will that cause other issues?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well that's not what I wanted for hear. But it's what I'm gonna have to do. Thanks for the feedback
I watched a Video, think it was RainmanRay's repair, he did one, and also a Ford, The Ford is a total S**show, I think I would burnt it down. Luck to you ,I have never had to do one of these.
I would remove all the aftermarket stuff on the bottom of the heater box, you may find something under it? you should be able to tell which from the rec. button.
A cutting torch?:893Chainsaw-Smilie- Sorry, its a slow day, could not help myself.

OP
OP
B

bpolly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced the blower motor resistor and it still does the same thing. It didn't help. So I'm gonna take that 100 dollar part back and put in the old one.

OP
OP
B

bpolly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone have a wiring schematic or know what voltages I should be getting across the 4 prongs?

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
H

Had same problem w/my 09 1500, you either have to drop the heat/AC box unit under the dash on right side. Or, you have to remove top of dash assembly to get to the actuator. I unfortunately waited to long to try and repair myself, and it ended up breaking the plastic shaft that connects onto actuator and recirculating door on AC/heat unit. Now it's done for, just drive it when I need too and weather is in my favor. If the same happens to yours it will also effect some other electrical like auto on lights, no AC, no directional air control. If you're mechanically inclined, there are Utube videos on taking top of dash off.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Clicking Sound is usually from 1 of the actuators

They have a gear set, when the white teeth snap off, you get the clicking sound

This video has the clicking sound from the actuators
The guy is incorrect on the names of the actuators, he calls them BLEND Doors, actually those 2 are MODE Doors

He does not buy Mopar Actuators, big mistake !!

At 7 minutes into the video, he pulls one of the Mode Door Actuators off .... NOTE the small white lever.
At that point in time, he should take that White Lever in a finger & thumb, that white lever is connected to a Door inside.
Rotate that white lever, so that it moves left or right ..
feel for weight or friction as you twist it, if you do feel it, then turn it just a bit harder, if the door is connected to the White lever, you Will hear it bumping against the Stops.
If all of that happens, then that parts(s) is functioning as it should.

Then just check the actuator, if it clicks, you can open it up & look at the gears, chances are that there are broken teeth.
Rotate the broken gear 180° & then test it by plugging it in
OR buy a new MOPAR actuator