Blue driver Scan tool from Amazon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
Thanks for letting me know Im just looking for a read only scan tool Im not looking to program anything. I had a very cheap code reader at one point. Not sure where I put it. The blue driver looks nice for reading codes and has a description of what it could be. I will also look at the mx
I have a couple of good (meaning, expensive) OBDII scanners. Just for grins I downloaded the Torque Pro app ($5) and bought a cheap bluetooth plugin ($5) on Amazon. Turns out I now have a couple of things that my $250 scanner doesn't have, like real-time reading of transmission temperature.

I tried a Blue Driver once, didn't like it, sent it back. You may have better results. I suggest the $10 solution unless you want to go full-throwdown-SnapOn (~$2500).

OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a couple of good (meaning, expensive) OBDII scanners. Just for grins I downloaded the Torque Pro app ($5) and bought a cheap bluetooth plugin ($5) on Amazon. Turns out I now have a couple of things that my $250 scanner doesn't have, like real-time reading of transmission temperature.

I tried a Blue Driver once, didn't like it, sent it back. You may have better results. I suggest the $10 solution unless you want to go full-throwdown-SnapOn (~$2500).
Thank you for your advice

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can buy a used Snap-on scanner off ebay that'll work up to '21, for about $2k. Probably quite a bit less if ya keep yer eyes open. I'm a S/O guy, but there are a lot of great options out there now.

But honestly a Launch for $700 or so gives pretty much the same thing.

If I was a DIY guy with multiple vehicles, I would 'invest' in a decent scan tool, like a good Launch scanners, which will give good info AND allow bi-directional control/brake bleeding, etc.

But if not a heavy DIY guy an MX Plus for $150-ish will give ya the info ya need. Or maybe better yet AlfaOBD if your Ram is your primary vehicle or a guy is heavy into chrysler's. That would be the best tool, for under $100. In general, you'll never regret over-buying and getting more features on a scan tool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can buy a used Snap-on scanner off ebay that'll work up to '21, for about $2k. Probably quite a bit less if ya keep yer eyes open. I'm a S/O guy, but there are a lot of great options out there now.

But honestly a Launch for $700 or so gives pretty much the same thing.

If I was a DIY guy with multiple vehicles, I would 'invest' in a decent scan tool, like a good Launch scanners, which will give good info AND allow bi-directional control/brake bleeding, etc.

But if not a heavy DIY guy an MX Plus for $150-ish will give ya the info ya need. Or maybe better yet AlfaOBD if your Ram is your primary vehicle or a guy is heavy into chrysler's. That would be the best tool, for under $100. In general, you'll never regret over-buying and getting more features on a scan tool.
Thank you for your advice