Brake lights stay on!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Revinvoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8
My 2013 RAM 1500 SLT brake lights stay on when not braking and turn off when braking.
Also the Traction Control light is illuminated on the dash.
Is this going to be the brake light switch that is faulty?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It could be the switch. It weighs about 5 grams and they're known to go flaky a lot. And it's tied into the stability system. Easy to verify if you remove the switch (not difficult) and hook up some multimeter leads and operate it about 50 times. If it gives a bad signal in that period, install a new one. Or just replace. Use a Mopar one. Some forum members have reported spotty results with aftermarket switch.

It could also be some melted wires. There's a connector under the driver's side feet area you could spit and check the pins. But that usually results in NO taillights. But you could test from that point.

OP
OP
R

Revinvoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8
I can see how that would be an issue, but, the bulbs were never changed out.
The brake light switch was replaced by a local auto repair shop. I can see that the switch has not got a part number anywhere on it. Question, do brake light switches come in normally open circuit and closed when braking. The switch that is on the truck seems to work the opposite way around. Tried to check continuity on the three pins and found no continuity on any pins. Just wondering, there should be continuity when the plunger is out and no continuity when in. there is nothing. Yet brake lights are on when not in and go off when out? Will be getting a new OEM switch shortly to see if it is the switch.

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The brake signal goes thru the Anti-lock brake module, and comes out pin 35 to the BCM. There are 3 pins on the brake switch, the green and yellow is pin 3. back Probe pin 3 to ground, you should have 5 volts DC. If you do, then back probe pin 2 to ground. It too should have 5 vdc when the switch is open, and when you close the switch, it will drop in voltage in proportion to how much it's pressed. Press the plunger a small amount, get a small voltage drop. I had to remove the switch from its bracket. Quarter turn counterclockwise while pressing the 2 lock buttons. If you don't have the voltage, check fuses 6 and 26 in the TIPM.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you check the switch, I would actuate the switch multiple times. When my switch went bad, I hooked up the scanner and depressed the pedal and it worked via the scanner "Most" of the time ...but every once in a while it wouldn't work. Maybe one out of 20 pushes, and sometimes not work 2-3 times in a row. It was random. And that is enough to set a brake switch/traction control/ABS light/s.

But your situation with the lights staying on is different.

Just b/c the switch was replaced obviously doesn't guarantee its good. There've been a number of forum members who have had flaky aftermarket switches. But test it and test the wiring as explained above. Could be a short too. Good luck

Last edited:

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I can see how that would be an issue, but, the bulbs were never changed out.
The brake light switch was replaced by a local auto repair shop. I can see that the switch has not got a part number anywhere on it. Question, do brake light switches come in normally open circuit and closed when braking. The switch that is on the truck seems to work the opposite way around. Tried to check continuity on the three pins and found no continuity on any pins. Just wondering, there should be continuity when the plunger is out and no continuity when in. there is nothing. Yet brake lights are on when not in and go off when out? Will be getting a new OEM switch shortly to see if it is the switch.
They might not have adjusted the switch when they put it in. If you take the switch and jam the plunger all the way down you'll feel it click/pop all the way at the bottom and you can pull it out by about a millimeter at a time until it's adjusted right. I just did that to mine a week ago and backed up to a wall so I could press the brake and see the brake lights light up the wall behind me or not. If it's not adjusted right the brake lights will stay on all the time.

The replacement switch plunger had to be adjusted out further than my stock one, but I set it to the stock position first and it was a decent starting point for adjusting the new one. I would pull it out one click at a time until the brake lights worked 100% right every time I hit the pedal

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 RAM 1500 SLT brake lights stay on when not braking and turn off when braking.
Also the Traction Control light is illuminated on the dash.
Is this going to be the brake light switch that is faulty?
Sounds like the switch on top of your brake pedal has the wires crossed or connected in wrong place.