Brake pedal works but on the floor no return

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutchman82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 2 bbl
Just got my hands on a 1980
W200 powerwagon. Old farm truck hasn't been on the road in 15+ years. Previous owner had a rubber strap on the brake pedal to the steering column to help it come back up, and thought the diaphragm in the booster may be toast. Brake effort and brakes work ok but zero pedal return, I drove it home but had to use my foot to pull the pedal back and could feel it release the brakes when I did. Any thoughts of how I can fix this? My experience with bad brake boosters is super hard brake pedal, also can't get find a brake booster anywhere. Called about everyone I can think of. Any input would be appreciated!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Inspect the rear drums ,it’s possible the return springs are tired and worn. Check the front calipers as well ,if it sat for 15 yrs it needs new fluid now also. I’d give all the steel lines a good look over ,as well as testing emergency brake function. Don’t worry about the booster as it does not help return the pedal .

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Poppet valve is more than likely bad, letting air in allowing the vacuum in the booster to draw the pedal down. Replace booster.
Test by running the engine and pressing the pedal down and remove your foot from the pedal. As the pedal remains down, disconnect the vacuum source and see if the pedal returns on its own via the internal spring.