Brakes grabbing right after leaving home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
I have a new 2025 1500. After I leave my house, I go down a slight hill for 3 houses to a stop sign. I barely touch the brakes, and every time the brakes suddenly grab and shudder a few times before I stop. Then it never happens again. Any ideas what this is?

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sometimes on my 23 the brakes upon a cold start and take off seem to apply with some pulsing or at least non-linear application. I’ve sort of written it off to the regenerative braking warming up or something. I live in a flat neighborhood so any braking is mild enough that it’s a minimal in effect. But I assume the 25 doesn’t have regenerative braking and if not, then that’s sort of ruled out. You’ll probably have to leave it at a dealer overnight and see if they can replicate it. Do you have a damp garage or parking space?

zrock

Reaction score
i would say its possibly some slight corrosion on the brakes that is coming off at the first stop sorta like some people get a brake squeal at the first couple of stops. . How many miles on the truck have you tried beading in the brakes and see if that helps? Go out to a good street and get up to speed and stop, do this about 1/2 a dozen times and this will get the brakes good and hot and bead them in..

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Sometimes on my 23 the brakes upon a cold start and take off seem to apply with some pulsing or at least non-linear application. I’ve sort of written it off to the regenerative braking warming up or something. I live in a flat neighborhood so any braking is mild enough that it’s a minimal in effect. But I assume the 25 doesn’t have regenerative braking and if not, then that’s sort of ruled out. You’ll probably have to leave it at a dealer overnight and see if they can replicate it. Do you have a damp garage or parking space?
No, I'm in the desert and it's been very dry. Sounds similar though. Although it didn't do it today of course.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
i would say its possibly some slight corrosion on the brakes that is coming off at the first stop sorta like some people get a brake squeal at the first couple of stops. . How many miles on the truck have you tried beading in the brakes and see if that helps? Go out to a good street and get up to speed and stop, do this about 1/2 a dozen times and this will get the brakes good and hot and bead them in..
Good point, I never did bed them in properly. My Mustang came with very thorough guidelines for doing that, but I forgot about that with the truck. It has a little over 500 miles on it and 300 of it was one freeway trip with little braking. I am very gentile on them.

But I don't think it's that. I didn't describe it very well; I barely touch them and then it has very strong pulsing, like the ABS is going through a test. Always catches me off guard. Of course it didn't do it tonight lol.

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer's problem.

I'm guessing this. One of the new '25 problems.

No lights or beeping going on? I know my '23 has almost given me a heart attack a few times backing up when it slams on the brakes and beeps. First time it happened I got out to make sure I didn't run over a child or something.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm guessing this. One of the new '25 problems.

No lights or beeping going on? I know my '23 has almost given me a heart attack a few times backing up when it slams on the brakes and beeps. First time it happened I got out to make sure I didn't run over a child or something.
Can you not disable that feature?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yup u can. Mine disabled in U Connect on my 2019.
I figured. We have that disabled on my wife's 2024 Durango because of the sudden braking thing.

On my RAM, all my backup camera has is 'Active Guidelines' and 'Passive Guidelines'. The Active Guidelines follow my backing up in a curve as I reverse and turn the steering wheel, the Passive one just show straight lines whether or not I turn the wheel. I can turn either or both of them on or off. When they are both off (as I have them now), all I see is just a screen of what's behind me - no lines. But no matter how I have them set, I don't have the automatic braking thing on my truck anyway. I tested it after I got it by putting a plastic trash can in the driveway about 20 feet back then reversing toward it. The system did nothing as I backed over the top of it.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve learned to co-exist with Nanny in my 23 for the most part. But the one alarm that is crazy is pulling into the outside of two lanes turning left at an intersection. Probably does the same with double right turn lanes but I’m thinking of one intersection in particular. Upon the light turning green, as soon as I start to turn the wheel left it thinks I’m steering into the car in the inside turn lane and about to hit it and blares an alarm and lights up the dash startling the crap out of me the first few times. It doesn’t recognize at first that the other car is turning From memory it doesn’t matter if I’m signaling or not.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
No.

Same here. I immediately disabled it. They need to change their logic so that the side sensors don't trigger it, only those for the direction you're going, unless maybe you're turning.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
In general I've been really bothered by all the alarms going off. Sometimes there is nothing on the dash and I have no idea what it is. There is one that goes off just when you enable or disable the feature though. It's stupid that the front sensors go off when you are in reverse and vice versa. Still getting used to this truck though.

I've generally had to disable automatic emergency braking on all my cars due to false alarms. But the alarms themselves can be very startling and potentially be the cause of a problem.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve learned to co-exist with Nanny in my 23 for the most part. But the one alarm that is crazy is pulling into the outside of two lanes turning left at an intersection. Probably does the same with double right turn lanes but I’m thinking of one intersection in particular. Upon the light turning green, as soon as I start to turn the wheel left it thinks I’m steering into the car in the inside turn lane and about to hit it and blares an alarm and lights up the dash startling the crap out of me the first few times. It doesn’t recognize at first that the other car is turning From memory it doesn’t matter if I’m signaling or not.
That would drive me nuts.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would go out on a lonely hiway and ride the brakes hard for a while to heat them up and see if that helps. After I wash my truck with a hi pressure wand, the brakes are quite grabby for a few minutes.

I got in a fight one days about the silly speed limit on a deserted hi way when I was 20 over , and wife had to break up my fight with the silly women in the nav, system, What a pita , 2 of them at me But I can turn the ears off.

But I do kind of like the parking alarms, thou it does go nuts when going in and out of the garage. Walmart parking lot will drive it nuts as well.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Hurricane
Well I think I figured it out. I think it’s actually the transmission downshifting because I’m going down a hill. It did it before I even touched the brakes this time. I’ll have to watch the tach next time to be sure. It’s not just one clean downshift though, I don’t know if it’s multiple or the converter locking or what, but there are multiple jerks.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I think I figured it out. I think it’s actually the transmission downshifting because I’m going down a hill. It did it before I even touched the brakes this time. I’ll have to watch the tach next time to be sure. It’s not just one clean downshift though, I don’t know if it’s multiple or the converter locking or what, but there are multiple jerks.
I do not know on the 25, but on MY 19, if I have Cruise activated, just putting down the road and the truck goes down a grade and the speed climbs above the set speed for the CC, the tranny will downshift in an effort to keep to the set speed. HAVE not noticed it any other time, so I have learned to tap the brakes on the decline before my road to my place when tooling around town with cruise on. PROB not mean anything, just a FYI.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

That’s an interesting observation. That may be what I feel when lightly breaking for a corner after a cold start, but to a lesser degree due to our flat neighborhood.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I to have had my brakes grab for a split second after the car wash or the 1st time getting in the truck after a 10min.monsoon here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240617-144019_SmartNews.jpg
    Screenshot_20240617-144019_SmartNews.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 5