Braking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Brake and Wheel section will not let me post, Mods are working on it.

Had a weird issue yesterday with my brakes. 2015 SLT QC 2wd. Have 192k miles on the clock.

Left work and as I was slowng to a stop, <20 mph, I heard a grind or metal rubbing noise. Not a ringing noise but lower pitch, like I lost a brake pad. Could hear it in the truck with windows up.

I did hear a similar noise last week in a hard braking situation to avoid an idiot who moved into my lane when they were still about a hood length from clearing my front bumper at about 30 mph. I thought it was the ABS, and I didn't hear the noise again.

Noise is coming from drivers rear, as far as I can tell. Pulled the rear pads and they are worn pretty good, approx 5/32 left on drivers side.

Wagner Thermoquiet MX967A pads, 80k miles on them. I did not see any issues with the calipers, etc.. One passenger side pad was worn uneven, though ~3/32 on one end 5/32 ish on the other.

Gonna replace pads, clean and lube slides, etc..

Any additional things I should check for? I will know fairly quick after changing them out this evening, but thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Is there a possibility the tabs on the brake pads are slightly rubbing on the rotors?

I've experienced similar noises in other vehicles and it was the rear pad wear tabs just lightly rubbing on the rotors.

How often are you performing a full brake service/cleaning; annually?

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is the irregular grinding noise repeatable?
You mention the pad condition but not the rotors.
With that mileage, I'd be inspecting the wheel bearings too. :cool:

Could the wheel bearings make noise like that, only at low speed while braking?

I will be changing my rear diff fluid at 200k anyways, unless the issue continues after I change these pads out.
Is there a possibility the tabs on the brake pads are slightly rubbing on the rotors?

I've experienced similar noises in other vehicles and it was the rear pad wear tabs just lightly rubbing on the rotors.

How often are you performing a full brake service/cleaning; annually?

I did not see where the tabs appeared to be touching, but I will give them a closer look tonight. There was crud along the edge of the pad where the buildup was kind of stuck. I was able to knock it off with a little effort, but it was crusty.

These pads lasted 80k miles, so no complaints, and the contact surface of the rotors is not gouged up, etc..

They were a good bit more worn than my OE pads were when I installed these.

I had not pulled them and lubed the pins since theyve been on, they've just had the quick lookover when I've done my oil changes and tire rotations.

No towing or heavy hauling either, and being in SW FL, everything stays pretty clean compared to what alot of you that live elsewhere have to deal with.

Tonight I will find out in pretty short order if I need to dig deeper.

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had a sound similar to yours but it was my drum brakes in the rear that the pads had fallen off of and were just slinging around inside of the drum. Not sure if you have drum brakes like mine but worth a check if you do

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry for the delay, life happened.....lol. Replaced brake pads, and the noise was still there.

Pulled calipers and rotors. E-brakes look surprisingly good, no loose pads.

20240824_181642.jpg
20240824_181653.jpg

I can hear slight noise when I rotate the rear axles, video link here:

I am thinking my only option is to do new bearings, seals, and diff oil.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update: I'm the idiot here.

Changed my rear pads, had a stuck rear axle bearing, installed 2 OE bearings and new seals.

Rear noise improved, hearing noise from front now, got ready to replace front pads, and discovered I totally missed that I have backing plate to rotor contact on my passenger side inside pad.

Waiting on 2 rotors from RockAuto, then hopefully all will be right in the world.

I feel so stupid having missed it. Looks like the friction pad went bye-bye. Lesson learned.

However, I feel much better having replaced the rear axle bearings, especially after finding the one that was stuck.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Changed my rear pads, had a stuck rear axle bearing, installed 2 OE bearings and new seals.

Rear noise improved, hearing noise from front now, got ready to replace front pads, and discovered I totally missed that I have backing plate to rotor contact on my passenger side inside pad.

Waiting on 2 rotors from RockAuto, then hopefully all will be right in the world.

I feel so stupid having missed it. Looks like the friction pad went bye-bye. Lesson learned.

However, I feel much better having replaced the rear axle bearings, especially after finding the one that was stuck.

Thanks for the update Ed, I feel better now. :cool:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rear backing plate? Or the front dust shield? If it's the front dust shield touching....you should check your bearing/hub assembly. The shield could be bent, but it could also be a worn front bearings and it's slightly cockeyed ...allowing the rotor to touch. Just a thought.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The rear backing plate? Or the front dust shield? If it's the front dust shield touching....you should check your bearing/hub assembly. The shield could be bent, but it could also be a worn front bearings and it's slightly cockeyed ...allowing the rotor to touch. Just a thought.
The backing plate for the pad. Passenger side front, inside pad.

Dust shields are fine. I don't know yet if the whole friction pad is gone or if it wore unevenly.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I would say you're anything but an idiot. You heard the rear axle bearings among all the other noises from the front and rear brake assemblies and were proactive about correcting it before imminent failure occurred.

And, most importantly, you found the issue and corrected it before anything serious happened.
Bravo to you Sir. :cool:

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would say you're anything but an idiot. You heard the rear axle bearings among all the other noises from the front and rear brake assemblies and were proactive about correcting it before imminent failure occurred.

And, most importantly, you found the issue and corrected it before anything serious happened.
Bravo to you Sir. :cool:

Thank you for the kind words. It is embarrassing, though.

My hearing is definately not the greatest, too many concerts in my youth, among other things.