Buying mopar lifters on eBay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Out of curiosity, are there any decent aftermarket lifter brands out there? I kind of assumed everything non oem is garbage. It’s a flip so I’m not worried about it lasting forever but I’m not about to put known garbage in it either.
About the only after market lifters with a rep close to as good as the OEM lifters are the Johnsons with the axle oiling feature,the rest seem to have issues.
A hyd lifter is the toughest thing to build in an engine,no other parts have as tight of machining tolerances as a lifter has

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have noticed several different variations of boxes, for example this listing shows flatter boxes with dodge Ram srt and so on printing onto the boxes:

That listing also looks very fishy though, the price is extremely low and one of the pictures shows the lifters upside down in the yokes, lol.

I’ve also seen boxes like I have, just with the sticker placed on the side of the box instead of the end. The boxes I have are identical to what I’ve seen others get directly from the dealer so that’s a good sign.
Edit* $598 was the lowest I could find when I did mine.

The lifters I got from a known dealer came in a box like this

IMG_0697.jpeg

If you find a dealer on eBay, you can google them and then order through their parts department directly.

Last edited:

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They arrived today. If anyone can point out anything suspicious or could provide pics of known authentic mopar lifters to compare, that would be greatly appreciated, otherwise these will be going in some time this week. In particular that tiny black line at the bottom of the sticker actually says “chryslerdodgefiatprofessionaljeeplanciaramsrtabarthalfaromeo” and repeats itself.

Btw, there are at least a dozen different sellers selling them on eBay for close to this price. Not that that proves anything just something to keep in mind.

View attachment 541646View attachment 541648View attachment 541651
The part number on the actual lifter doesn’t match the box?

**EDIT** took another look on my comp this time at the pic of my old lifters and they do have laser etched numbers... can't make out the actual # though ... link (top lifter if you zoom in close)

**edit 2** went and grabbed the original lifters to my truck.

Non MDS lifters are lasered with
572AF
02815 1

MDS
573bc
02815 1

Again these are old style (small bearing) lifters.

Last edited:

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They arrived today. If anyone can point out anything suspicious or could provide pics of known authentic mopar lifters to compare, that would be greatly appreciated, otherwise these will be going in some time this week. In particular that tiny black line at the bottom of the sticker actually says “chryslerdodgefiatprofessionaljeeplanciaramsrtabarthalfaromeo” and repeats itself.

Btw, there are at least a dozen different sellers selling them on eBay for close to this price. Not that that proves anything just something to keep in mind.

View attachment 541646View attachment 541648View attachment 541651
The problem with a part like this is, you can't tell. It's made of steel, but which specific alloy? How hard is it? Has it been heat treated? What about the bearings?The external dimensions may match, bout what about internal? Too small oil passage won't get enough oil, too large won't maintain oil pressure to keep the lifter within tolerance.
The point is, without the means to specialized tools to measure these parameters, there are two options: buy from a trusted source, in this case a Mopar dealer, or put an unknown part in your engine hoping it won't fail catastrophically.
I'll take the known quantity

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The part number on the actual lifter doesn’t match the box?

Also I don’t remember my lifters having a lasered number on them. I just checked some pics of the lifters that came out of my truck, no numbers… but they would be old variant.
That’s a great point, didn’t even think to check. The mopar images don’t show any lasered text or numbers on the lifters:

Which reminds me, I forgot to compare the markings on the yoke also. But that settles it for me, they’ll be going back. Very much appreciate your pointing that out!

Any chance you could provide a link to one of those dealers selling on eBay?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So now I’m back where I started. Johnson lifters doesn’t appear to even make MDS lifters and they’re not much cheaper then mopar anyhow. I’m very tempted to just buy a single mopar lifter or yoke of lifters to replace the bad one and move on. I hate to waste so much time and money on something that wasn’t even the cause of failure nor related to the issue at all.

Btw, if this were one of my trucks that I was keeping, I would have ordered mopar from Benny at allmopar a week ago and been done with it. But it’s a flip, I’m stingy, and every penny saved here is a penny earned lol

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Asked on the 4th gen rams Facebook group since there are a lot of guys there who have done cam and lifters, and confirmed oem lifters do in fact have laser etching. I cleaned up the lifters I have a bit and found laser etching on those too that I missed earlier. What a lot of back and forth lol. So now it looks like I’ll be keeping them.

The yokes and numbers on the lifters do not match the ones that came out of the truck, which is to be expected since the lifters changed in 2016. I haven’t been able to confirm that the numbers on the ones I have are correct compared to known genuine 2016 lifters, but honestly not too worried about it. I’m sick of lifter shopping and want to get this motor back together already haha

Just waiting on the replacement valve spring now.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You could call your local dealer, give them your VIN#, and ask for a quote, and then ask for the chrysler part #.

I do know that the letter suffix changes on updated parts, starting with AA, then AB, then AC, etc. Not sure about the numbers, though.

Who knows how many variations there are on these.