Cam and 3rd set of lifters shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Twice, under warranty, I had to have lifters replaced. I am currently at 103k (60K was the warranty). The first set of lifters was replaced at approximately 46k. The second set about 10k later. Much to my disagreement with the dealer, they said the cam was fine “both times”. This was very hard for me to believe. Since the last set of lifters were replaced, I have changed the oil type from PUP to Schaefers and I limit idling (didn’t before). I change the oil every 5k. So… long story short, at 103k I’ve now heard some ticking. It very much sounds like an exhaust manifold leak. I can usually tell the difference. I took it to my local dealer and they said I have lifter failure and the cam is damaged. Recommended replacing long block for 10k. I’m just beside myself with this truck. This will be my 4th set of lifters now. I’m going to try to take it to a shop someone recommended in Roseville Michigan. I really think these engines are flawed. I own a small business, for 33 years, and have had lots of trucks from all different brands. Never, ever had problems like this.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is there any chance the mechanics you been using are clueless ?

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I guess it is possible. It is a dealer near me that has been around a long time.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
If you use your truck in your business, it's a business expense, fix it correctly, and reduce your tax burden. I run lots of businesses and most of my efforts are tax avoidance, not profit.