Catalytic converter theft prevention plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
New member here:

I just had one of my CCs cut out and stolen this weekend as my son borrowed the truck for work. They cut out the driver side one, as it appears to be much easier to access. Anyone had any experience with the "CAT CLAMP", or any real world thoughts on its viability as a deterrant? I know it wont prevent theft, but is it enough to get them to want to move on to an easier vehicle?

Probably not going to slow the thief down very much. They will cut the pipe beyond the wire loops or stick the blade between the loops and cut the pipe. So all you have done is just added another $175 to your loss.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Our Chattanooga stations have run videos of people cutting them off several times. Usually they hit a business over the weekend when no one is there. Cameras aren't stopping them, they don't seem to even care about them. I saw where there is a new law supposed to go into affect soon dealing with the thieves being able to sell the cats. Of course, that only works if the dealer they are selling them to are honest. If you can install cameras on your home, be sure to get high resolution with night vision, and if you rent, you could try putting up a trail cam or two.

Markystang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend of mine had his 1995 Lexus overlanding vehicle’s CC stolen along with a Prius CC while parked outside a repair shop where he was having his radiator replaced. This was in San Jose last week. Shop said that they weren’t responsible as it was a public parking area used for the business’ in the strip mall. Where your customers’ vehicles in a private lot when hit?
In the parking lot at my shop. We're definitely on the hook for them. Even if I could argue my way out of it, I wouldn't. The fact is that the vehicles were in my care at the time it happened. Trying to get out of it because it's a "public parking lot" is kinda slimy imo. I'd rather man up and keep the customer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The vehicles like Prius' & other Hybrids have more of the precious metal in them, so they are the #1 target, if you park next to a Hybrid & it is raided of the CC, chances are your CC will be taken too

The news is saying that if your VIN # is etched into the CC, an honest scrap yard will think twice before buying it.
If the scrap metal place gets caught with CCs in their possession, they better have paper work

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The vehicles like Prius' & other Hybrids have more of the precious metal in them, so they are the #1 target, if you park next to a Hybrid & it is raided of the CC, chances are your CC will be taken too

The news is saying that if your VIN # is etched into the CC, an honest scrap yard will think twice before buying it.
If the scrap metal place gets caught with CCs in their possession, they better have paper work
The problem is a lot of these are not going to junk yards. There's actually criminal networks set up where the converters are taken to a person that smelts out the precious metals, then sends them overseas. Eventually the metals end up in the new cats that come back here to replace your stolen ones.

There have been a lot of cat thefts here in Southern California. I keep my motorhome in my backyard and they're especially easy to steal from, so I painted it orange with VHT paint and etched to my license plate # into it. But I've seen pictures of cats that were painted orange that were stolen.

The odd thing is, if someone is caught with a bunch of old cats in their trunk, they can't really be arrested because there's no way to trace them, unless a VIN or license plate is etched into to them. I just think a smart thief would not want an orange cat with a license or VIN etched into it. That's assuming there are smart thieves.

By the way, the way the catalytic converters are tucked up into the engine compartment of a Ram V6, and I think they'd be kind of hard to steal.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
the low-life scumbags stealing cats are cutting them off....if they brought tools to cut off your cat then they will just cut through your thin sheet-metal plate as well

All security devises for anything can be defeated.

That is not the point of security devices.

The point is to get the thief to go to an easier target.

jonhimes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So Here is One Ram owner who has had it happen. The Cat from ram is $3400. I dropped my truck off at the shop Sunday and the POS thieves hit 4 cars. They hit 13 in an auto body shop next door a week ago. I am not sure what to do and how to stop this. I am in the process of building up the truck and an Alarm is on the horizon I just have not figured out which one. I wanted to put bash plates under the truck anyway for offroading but not sure if that can be incorporated. I have not been able to find anything out there for this. If anyone has found anything in the last few months please let me know.

Also thoughts on size of etching and paint color type? like a bright color for a bbq?

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I applaud Mr. Michael Campbell. People used to be able to protect their property without repercussions. I certainly hope he requests a jury trial as it only takes one 'Not Guilty'.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lowering is not the answer. Saw another security video where the thief's used a light weight floor jack. One guy jacking up the car while the 2nd guy goes under. And they don't car about jack placement either...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If they jack up the vehicle to cut out the Cat(s)
They also grab the fancy rims & just leave the jack or just jerk the jack out & let the weight drop on the hubs

they need to catch the scrap yards that are buying the Cats

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree that if someone is determined they can get through it quite easily, but the idea is that once they see it, they figure to move on to the next car. Same thing with bike locks, they can all be broken but the idea is that if your bike is locked up well then the thief will move to easier targets
This is more likely a case of "keeping the honest thieves from stealing it" situation. But it might be enough to dissuade some of them if it is a beefy plate instead of what would likely be used on those cars. It would also have a pretty negative effect on curb weight as well for it to be anything worth the protection.

That is all any security system really does, if it makes it more effort for someone to steal your "insert item name here" than they are willing to put in, then they will move on to an easier victim.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
People have CATs on their trucks. :p .
True, and alot of them have two. Unless you are considering the CATs that the big rigs use, in that case, they usually just have one.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I applaud Mr. Michael Campbell. People used to be able to protect their property without repercussions. I certainly hope he requests a jury trial as it only takes one 'Not Guilty'.
Not so sure that how he solved it was the best option. He could have gotten out of his truck and 'accidentally' jumped on the thief, repeatedly, then dragged him out from under the truck by his ankle, and, again 'accidentally', twisted the thief's ankle the wrong way a couple of times and restrained him until the police got there. Since he wasn't allowed to own firearms, drawing attention to yourself by using them in this way, not the smartest choice, imo.