Code P0740 after 46re rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deus_Vult5687

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hello, I’ll try to get right to the point in this post.

Long story short, about 2 months ago the torque converter in my 98 1/2 ton 4x4 went out at around 155,000 miles and sent metal throughout my transmission. Over the past three weeks, I pulled, disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and rebuilt the transmission, mainly to prevent the torque converter particles from ruining the rest of my transmission, which shifted fine up until TC failure. I followed the transmission bench series on youtube, they were a great help. I also got the big kit from the transmission bench website to replace all the clutches, seals, electronics, and common failure parts. I ended up also replacing the reverse drum and band, overdrive piston and retainer, and some worn out bushings. None of the parts mentioned above were bad to the point of failure, just getting worn. Even the old clutch packs looked like they had been replaced before. Needless to say, I replaced the torque converter itself with a remanufactured one from rock auto, and I replaced the overdrive accumulator spring because that was of course broken.

Yesterday I wrapped up the rebuild, reinstalled everything in the truck at the shop I work at, and refilled all the fluids. The truck seems to be running fine, one minor negative thing that I noticed is the shifter is more sloppy than it used to be, it is a bit harder to get into its detents moving right from the park position, but goes into its detents easier moving left from the 1 position.

The problem is, I have now gotten a couple codes to pop up at least twice, and at the same time both times, since I have been test driving it: P0171 and P0740. The first one, which is system running lean bank 1, I am thinking might be due to the way I put my exhaust pipes back on, which has left a very noticeable exhaust leak. The main one I am worried about is p0740 since this usually foretells doom for the torque converter or the corresponding electronics, which is weird to me since they were replaced. If the codes are related, that is something I ruled out, so let me know if I am wrong on that.

Now I see this post has gotten long anyways, so I’ll just say that I’m essentially wondering if anyone has any guesses or experiences that might point to what is causing this? Any advice is appreciated.