Colision and Insurance Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Ram Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had someone run into the back of my 2022 Limited and destroyed the bumper. The local Ram dealer quoted $2,500 for the bunper and brackets. The insurance company sent me an estimate showing the part price of the bumper at $1,200 for an "After Market Certified" bumper. Given that the price is half or the Ram OEM replacement, am I getting the same quality of bumper? Do I have any recourse with the insurance company to make them use OEM factory parts? With a $2,500 repair will my Carfax now show that the truck was in an accident?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you look at your policy, I think you will see that the insurance company can use aftermarket parts, so there may not be much you can do about it. I had a similar problem a few years back. The body shop could not locate an aftermarket bumper, so he got an OEM one, approved by insurance. I may have gotten lucky. I can't speak for the quality of the aftermarket bumpers.

As for the CarFax thing, I don't know.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I believe the details vary from State to State but generally you have the right to insist on OEM parts. Not sure if who picks up the tab is always clear cut. I would insist on using a RAM dealer for repairs. They may require OEM parts in order to keep your warranty in force, rust warranty, safety systems, etc. Not sure on that but seems logical. Who is your insurance with? GEICO has never given me any problem with paying for OEM.

My guess is it will show up on Carfax if run through insurance but it will probably be listed as minor.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mercury, I’m not familiar with. Not a Progressive fan. Your being in California, as a southerner I’m probably in over my head. I wish you good luck.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The forum can't answer any of this definitively. Most insurance carriers have an "OEM Certified" clause. Meaning they can get NEW OEM or "crash parts" OEM. You'll have to iron that out with your carrier. Personally, I'd push for NEW OEM. And if they push back, you'll have to do what's right for you. And in most cases, yes, if you're going through insurance, that's going to show up on Carfax in the future. That's how that works. Don't want the ding on Carfax, private pay the whole thing.

OP
OP
R

Red Ram Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for that information. I am not sure that I can prove that the replacement parts will not be "equal to original equipment..."

(g) No insurer shall require the use of non-original equipment manufacture replacement crash parts in the repair of an automobile unless:

(1) the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance;

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thank you for that information. I am not sure that I can prove that the replacement parts will not be "equal to original equipment..."

(g) No insurer shall require the use of non-original equipment manufacture replacement crash parts in the repair of an automobile unless:

(1) the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance;
yeah, I have had "certified" parts that were no where close to fitting

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
It will hit carfax in 90 to 150 days after the date of the accident if a police report was filed.

As to OEM parts, good luck, unless you want to pay the difference in replacement parts and OEM. However Since you were hit, I'd insist on it since the other person's insurance is on the hook, until my tongue bled.

Art_in_CO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited Elite
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Because you are zero percent at fault here, I think you have specific rights, that include getting the repair done where YOU want with parts that YOU approve. Don't just ask the Mercury people, they'll probably say whatever saves them some money. Also, you can claim depreciated value on your truck. Just look online for the formula.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Friend of mine just went through same thing, progressive was the other person's insurance. The repair can be done with aftermarket parts that are OEM spec or even with used parts that are graded A with no defect.

My recommendation is go to a Ram dealer repair center. They get the best price on OEM and may be able to get you into a OEM bumper for little to no cost out of your pocket. There is most definitely additional damage, likely where the brackets mount to the frame and possibly the frame itself. Can't expertly speak to every state's laws but my experience and knowledge of insurance policies and regulations is that there isn't a way to demand OEM, you get what the state and policy allows; I was involved in her claim to listen in and I asked adjuster who said he isn't aware of any policies that let you purchase a OEM rider.

Experience with Progressive was they dragged it out, they can take 30 days or more to "investigate". She turned it in to her own insurance and even though it went as a ding on her experience rating it was worth it to get it fixed. It will then go though mediation between the insurance companies. The process involves subrogation and your insurance company should fight for the additional amount due you for the value the truck loses with the history of the accident on the record.

You of course can pay out of pocket and hope progressive eventually pays you back but not sure if you lose any right to payment if you do fix yourself. Under insurance the original estimate will start the repair process and then the teardown will result in an additional supplemental request and payment.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Follow up, you generally can select the repair shop, if you go through one or the other insurance companies they will generally have shops they "prefer" and this will mean that they will pay directly to the shop and make it a bit easier for you. If you chose your own shop that is out of their list you become the middle person for the initial payment; they will pay you the first estimate amount but then pay the supplemental request amount directly to the shop.

commander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact your carrier, if needed go through them, pay your deductible, they will go after progressive. The other way would be: Once done IF the bumper does not fit perfectly or as good as it was from the factory, refuse the repair until they get it right! I ran collision centers for 40+ years, it's YOUR vehicle and needs to be repaired to your satisfaction, period! They will try to tell you "That's a standard repair" you will also need to ask them about diminished value. after all, george soros can afford it! he started progressive.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Take it to the dealer repair shop and let the shop hassle with the insurance company. Dealers should only install OEM parts.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I'd rather have OEM parts from a boneyard than aftermarket parts. Boneyard parts will fit just fine, aftermarket ChingChong junk will not and many times need to be modified to be fitted correctly. Everyone is afraid of boneyards...They are just looking at it wrong.

RD Holland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bring up a diminished value claim with Progressive. Don't believe any bull about being as good as new, especially if they refuse OEM parts. Tell them "good as new" implies OEM parts. Regardless of how good the fix is, Carfax will show the damage. I very recently looked at trading a vehicle for a Charger and the dealer ship ran the Carfax and offered us too little with the claim that buyers would see the Carfax and that would hurt the resale value.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I had an insurance company try that on 3 month old vehicle. I was rear ended by their insured at a stop light. Damaged the rear bumper and mounting brackets.

I told the insurance I would be happy to accept the aftermarket parts. However, I had an attorney request the insurance company provide a written statement stating the insurance company would be liable for any personal injuries in any future crashes where the aftermarket part was found to be sub-standard. Apparently they did not have much faith in the aftermarket parts as they quickly approved OEM parts.

depmike38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had someone run into the back of my 2022 Limited and destroyed the bumper. The local Ram dealer quoted $2,500 for the bunper and brackets. The insurance company sent me an estimate showing the part price of the bumper at $1,200 for an "After Market Certified" bumper. Given that the price is half or the Ram OEM replacement, am I getting the same quality of bumper? Do I have any recourse with the insurance company to make them use OEM factory parts? With a $2,500 repair will my Carfax now show that the truck was in an accident?
If it's your insurance company it may be written into your policy that they, can after a set amount of time, use an aftermarket replacement. If it's another party's insurance, you aren't bound by whatever they have to use on their vehicle because you have no arrangement with their insurance company. Stick to your guns and tell them you want what was damaged replaced with the same thing. Also, as you're getting this resolved you should talk to them about a diminished value claim as down the road it will devalue your vehicle as CarFax will always show it as wrecked. One other thing is to get under the vehicle and look at the bottom of the frame rail right in front of the brackets for damage. The bracket is designed to buckle downward on impact to absorb impact and keep it off the bed as much as possible. Often if the impact is hard and fast enough it will bend the bottom of the rail up at the front edge of the bracket.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd rather have OEM parts from a boneyard than aftermarket parts. Boneyard parts will fit just fine, aftermarket ChingChong junk will not and many times need to be modified to be fitted correctly. Everyone is afraid of boneyards...They are just looking at it wrong.
Absolutely. Push for the new OEM, if not insist on Boneyard parts. Being in the position of being rear ended, demand what you want and "hint" of a lawsuit if not satisfied. You're in the driver seat here, unless you were driving backwards.