Concernd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviousviper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
?
I'm new to all of this. I'm in a bad position. A very good friend of mine and her ex purchased a ram 1500. Actually she paid for it. Because he was involved when truck was purchased he gained access to lo jack account and is using it to keep tabs on her. She wants me to remove device so this situation will stop. My way of thinking is remove it put it on another friend's vehicle won't be nice when confronted. Immature I know. But he deserves it. Main thing is removal. Can anyone give advice. Can these be removed without having issues with computer . Thank you for time and energy.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm new to all of this. I'm in a bad position. A very good friend of mine and her ex purchased a ram 1500. Actually she paid for it. Because he was involved when truck was purchased he gained access to lo jack account and is using it to keep tabs on her. She wants me to remove device so this situation will stop. My way of thinking is remove it put it on another friend's vehicle won't be nice when confronted. Immature I know. But he deserves it. Main thing is removal. Can anyone give advice. Can these be removed without having issues with computer . Thank you for time and energy.
You NEED to tread lightly here. Apple Company got sued by the Federal Government over similar issues involving the Airtags. (Those coin sized tracking devices) Folks were using them for just such a thing as you discuss. Now, as a result of said lawsuit, say you had put one in your wife's car to track her, (which is illegal in most places), Her iPhone, if she has an iPhone, will alert as to the presence of said device.

One of my customers who uses the device in her car, left it in the coin tray of the dashboard when I performed repairs to her car recently. My iPhone alerted me to it when I got into the car. When I opened the coin tray, the little device was beeping at me! I'm sure that, If I went out on a joyride, she would know about it.

It is against the law in most areas (constitution, and such) to track someone with no warrant by law enforcement.
Now that you have made it public here.... uh, well, you know!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone seems to like tracking devices until they are the one being tracked then it's no longer fun!
I personally encountered a conundrum regarding a different type of tracking device about 15 years ago. One of my customers brought his 2002 Ram quad cab 1500 in, with the 4.7 overheating. I went out to the parking lot after he had dropped the truck off and departed. The truck was fitted with a Blow/Hum device because he was a DWI convicted fellow. Now, I'm NOT EVER going to put my mouth on one of those in order to start a vehicle in for repairs. So, I turned on the ignition key and crawled under the truck and crossed the terminals on the starter and drove the truck into the shop for assessment.

Little did I know that by doing that, the "device" notified big brother of a violation and sent out the location! YUP!
Next thing I know, the young man came to my parking lot, mad as a wet hen. Seems as though he had been called by his probation officer and notified of this "violation".

When queried about it, I told him what I did. He was a bit hostile to me, so, I told him that I had NOT driven drunk, and that I wasn't going to blow on something he'd slobbered on. After he regained a disposition of calm reason, we could hold a sane conversation about it.

He had a narrative just like everyone else about how he had been the victim of law enforcement, drove after "just one beer", and swerved,.... yada yada yada, boo-hoo, poor little him.... never mind he blew high on the field breathalyzer, and his attorney failed to get the charges either reduced or dismissed.

It turned out that I was "supposed" to have read the little bitty print on the blow module to call 1-800-dufus and sat on wait while they eventually would have gotten 'round to answering my phone call to take a statement, force me to fax an affidavit to them along with a signed work order, et. al.

Yeah, right. That AIN'T gonna happen! I made HIM call them whilst sitting in his truck (we'd moved it outside) and wait 45 minutes to get the bypass code and take his and my statements to obtain said code.

We fixed the truck, and, thankfully, he never traded with me after that.

In summary, that really chapped my hide that this device pinged these people as to the location of the truck. The feeling of invalidation I felt was palpable. And I did nothing wrong. After doing some checking, this device was owned by a private vendor, licensed by the state to do all the fitting of these devices, monitoring them, and so on. The abusive timbre these folks cast on me made me feel contempt towards them. I finally told them that they didn't need to treat ME in such a brusque manner. I decided at that point, that if anyone else brought me a car fitted with a device which is a nanny would be told to get all the necessary ducks in a row So I do not have to go through all that bother.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really want to get into the middle of that situation, my advice would be to apply for a Concealed Carry permit. The only person who is going to lose anything in that situation is going to be YOU.
Jay
As far as CCW really depends upon wat state U R in and state laws.

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2023
Engine
4.7L & 3.0L EcoD
I'm new to all of this. I'm in a bad position. Can anyone give advice.

Yes. Full stop.

Your friend needs a lawyer who will know the proper legal route to take with said harasser. A letter from an attorney will also carry a bit more weight with the LoJack folks in getting the device and account deactivated - permanently.

It sounds like this situation is at the beginning stages. The last thing YOU need to do is something childish. What you describe sounds like the beginnings of the crime documentaries my wife likes to watch on Court TV.

It was 40+ years ago, but I was on the receiving end of a female harasser that damn near ended in homicide...mine. Back then, a man didn't go to the police claiming to be harassed by a woman, you would have been laughed out of the station. Fortunately times have changed.

Hiring a lawyer will cost money, but if it ends the problems for your friend, it was money well spent.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If your female friend is the sole registered owner of the vehicle, she can contact LoJack and have any unauthorized logins removed from the account. If she has legal possession of the vehicle through a separation agreement or other such legal document and a restraining order issued by a judge against the harasser, she can contact LoJack to have the harasser's login removed from the account.

As others have said, don't put yourself in the middle of this dispute between this woman and her ex no matter how hot she may be. Think with the big head. This is usually not a DIY deal. The woman should contact the local police to have them start an investigation of the harassment. If they find sufficient evidence of illegal activity, they will take the next steps.

Not really sure why I am posting this, the OP looks like a one post wonder.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yeah, I gave away a trailer a few years ago. A couple came to get it and the gal was a Dolly Parton wannabe. Bleach blond hair, big chest and bedazzled jeans. The whole nine yards. I signed the bill of sale over to the guy. A week later the gal calls me with sob story about he was abusive, blah, blah, blah. She wanted me to help her and give her another bill of sale. I told her no way I could help her and she should contact the police. I then promptly blocked that number on my phone. Didn't want any part of that drama.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I read your description correctly, removing it presents no legal issue. Of course this can depend on your state law.

Placing it onto someone else's vehicle is probably illegal.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 117544 miles.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just remove it and accomplish what really needs to be done here and that is to keep him from tracking her.

What she decides to do with the module is up to here. Heck, I'd send it to a landfill.

LoJack Installation Manuals

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YUP, one post wonder-bread person. Thread has given good advice, no need to go further.