Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, definitely not lucky that I'm on my fourth, almost sold it at one point because of it, but just lucky that it never blew up and left me stranded. I always carry a gallon of water in the toolbox and I was always able to limp home on that.
If you are on your 4th in 4 years, I would start looking at why. Could just be crap parts or possibly the tensioner is putting too much pressure on the pump shaft and messing up the bearings.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you are on your 4th in 4 years, I would start looking at why. Could just be crap parts or possibly the tensioner is putting too much pressure on the pump shaft and messing up the bearings.

OEM went bad around 160K which is fine, replace with napa/autozone/some other off brand and those never lasted long. Finally ponied up for the expensive OEM and its held up for 2 years so far. I think the aftermarkets were all just garbage.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, definitely not lucky that I'm on my fourth, almost sold it at one point because of it, but just lucky that it never blew up and left me stranded. I always carry a gallon of water in the toolbox and I was always able to limp home on that.
You might need to carry a water pump in the toolbox at this point :gr_guns:

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OEM went bad around 160K which is fine, replace with napa/autozone/some other off brand and those never lasted long. Finally ponied up for the expensive OEM and its held up for 2 years so far. I think the aftermarkets were all just garbage.
I got about 83K out of mine (on a 3.6) before it started leaking. Just replaced it in the past month. Still pretty sour about it. Water pumps should make 150K IMO.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got about 83K out of mine (on a 3.6) before it started leaking. Just replaced it in the past month. Still pretty sour about it. Water pumps should make 150K IMO.
My older cast iron pumps went at least that far with proper coolant changes. The newer aluminum water pumps just don't seem to last as long, even with proper coolant changes.

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it swapped out. Not too difficult actually. Taking the bolts out of the old pump 1 at a time and placing them in the new pump, then placing them back in the old pump before putting them in the new pump certainly helps keeping straight what bolt goes where. I’m thinking it was the factory original, had that Chrysler star looking symbol on it. Got 178k on the clock, so that’s impressive if it was original. Hopefully I get at least 50k out of the $75 aftermarket pump. Don’t plan on selling it anytime soon.

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since replacing the water pump, I’ve left the clutched fan and lower shroud off because I was curious if the electric condenser fan was enough to keep it cool. It goes to 210, back to 197, then settles between 203-206. Now that’s with the a/c on (electric fan on), 1 row of shutters that I removed a while back, and not towing anything. The real test will be when I hook to my boat I guess, or with the a/c off. Does the electric fan only run with a/c on or is there a temp where it comes on anyway?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Since replacing the water pump, I’ve left the clutched fan and lower shroud off because I was curious if the electric condenser fan was enough to keep it cool. It goes to 210, back to 197, then settles between 203-206. Now that’s with the a/c on (electric fan on), 1 row of shutters that I removed a while back, and not towing anything. The real test will be when I hook to my boat I guess, or with the a/c off. Does the electric fan only run with a/c on or is there a temp where it comes on anyway?
It'll kick in at roughly 218 to 220 with-out the A/C on,throw your heater controls to defrost with-out the A/C on and it should kick the fan onto the low speed setting. Try that scenerio out at home while it's idling on the driveway with the temperature gauge reading above 200F just to make sure it does kick the fan on,before you try it out in rush hour traffic.

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It'll kick in at roughly 218 to 220 with-out the A/C on,throw your heater controls to defrost with-out the A/C on and it should kick the fan onto the low speed setting. Try that scenerio out at home while it's idling on the driveway with the temperature gauge reading above 200F just to make sure it does kick the fan on,before you try it out in rush hour traffic.
Got home today, temp at 204, a/c on and fan was on as it should be. Turned a/c off to get the fan to cut off, but it didn’t cut off, so I turned the climate all off, and the fan kept running. Waited a solid minute or minute and an half and it never did shut off. Temp stayed at 204 the whole time. Bought this truck used, so maybe the previous owner used a tuner to have the fan come on sooner than the 218-220?? Just a guess. If it runs at 204 I’m all good. At a red light it may go to 206-208, but comes right back down to 203-204 after 1/4-1/2 mile.