Coolant smell since new.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never figured it out. 65k miles later lol

I've also had a coolant smell from time to time. I only notice it when it's cool outside (less than 60F for us Floridians), so I'm not sure what to make of it that. I've had to add some water into the overflow tank only once in the past 3.5 years of ownership, so it's a slow leak for sure. I think I'll play the "wait till it causes a problem" game.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've also had a coolant smell from time to time. I only notice it when it's cool outside (less than 60F for us Floridians), so I'm not sure what to make of it that. I've had to add some water into the overflow tank only once in the past 3.5 years of ownership, so it's a slow leak for sure. I think I'll play the "wait till it causes a problem" game.

I can smell it all the time from the rad area. I also have topped up the overflow a couple of time during ownership.

ChiefPepe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
truck went in for oil service. came back with top radiator bolts barely started. I always look around after service. since then we notice coolant smell by the front grill after shutoff. did they borrow our good radiator for some elses truck repair ? Hate to think so. still smelling fluid evaporating no seen wetness anywhere. dealer says cap. replaced it. still smells. plastic radiators suck

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine has smelled slightly/occasionally since new nearly 10 years ago. The engine and radiator were replaced last year and I still get the same smell. I think it's just a oddity with a lot of these trucks. I've never noticed the fluid being low but do take it to the dealer for service so I suppose they could be topping it off.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing, hot, cold, NO evidence of leaks anywhere. as leak tested, no leaks, and I am losing no coolant. Some PPL have said there is an air vent and sometimes you get this condition. Got me,., as long as runs, no leaks ne where, not losing coolant, not going out the tailpipe, guess oh well.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty sure they all smell. I don't think the overflow is pressurized. I smell it all the time if I walk in front of the truck. No worries.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another member here posted in a thread that the overflow bottle plastic cap just snaps closed, and it's not pressurized you may be getting the smell from there.
THIS. It's not a truly sealed system, there is no seal on the overflow tank so you will occasionally get a whiff of coolant smell coming from there.

Keep a check on the tank level too, you will occasionally have to add a bit due to evaporation. I keep a coolant jug in the back seat and check the tank level once a month or so. Have had to put in about half a jug over the three years I've owned the truck. It is to be expected from a system that doesn't truly seal.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW folks, I came from a company that had 70+ Chrysler/Dodge products with 3.6 Pentastar engines. I myself have the same setup in my truck. The coolant smell comes and goes. Hotter engine temps, more frequent smells. We've always attributed it to bleed off to the expansion tank (overflow to some people). Some of these vehicles were well over 200k - never any antifreeze loss or visual leaking. Some got dyed with no results. Never issues with overheating, etc. We just said "smells like a Dodge" and moved on. No antifreeze outside the engine and none in the oil unless it was steaming off prior to ending up in the oil (GM had that issue for quite a while with some bad cylinder heads). I wouldn't lose any sleep over it (again, lol) unless overheating or antifreeze is showing up some place it shouldn't.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
FWIW folks, I came from a company that had 70+ Chrysler/Dodge products with 3.6 Pentastar engines. I myself have the same setup in my truck. The coolant smell comes and goes. Hotter engine temps, more frequent smells. We've always attributed it to bleed off to the expansion tank (overflow to some people). Some of these vehicles were well over 200k - never any antifreeze loss or visual leaking. Some got dyed with no results. Never issues with overheating, etc. We just said "smells like a Dodge" and moved on. No antifreeze outside the engine and none in the oil unless it was steaming off prior to ending up in the oil (GM had that issue for quite a while with some bad cylinder heads). I wouldn't lose any sleep over it (again, lol) unless overheating or antifreeze is showing up some place it shouldn't.

Yep, all of my RAM trucks have had this "coolant" smell ... I've never had any problems, it's just an "coolant smell characteristic" of an RAM truck, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KW_RAM