CV axle problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
IMG_4980.jpegI’m curious what the dealers are doing about the CV axle issues? Are they selling a new axle and retaining ring or offering options

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Same issue alot of us have.. very poor design.

I bought the parts off RockAuto a month or so ago.. still haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Isn't the pass side one,where the dealer wants to sell you a new front diff when it's showing wear like that.
Technically but they have the intermediate shaft available now so I’m curious for what the dealerships are recommending

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Technically but they have the intermediate shaft available now so I’m curious for what the dealerships are recommending
Replacing the shaft entails disassembly and reassembly,so i'm guessing dealers are still pushing complete diff replacement,but i haven't actually asked my local dealer tech buddy.Next time i'm talking to him,if i remember i'll ask him

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Educate me. What exactly are we looking at? See a red powder like substance. No oil leaks.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Educate me. What exactly are we looking at? See a red powder like substance. No oil leaks.
the “red powder” is rust. the splines wear out and the rust is a visual indicator of movement that should not be happening. Very common on Ram 1500’s but not as common as broken manifold bolts.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This by far the biggest flaw on these trucks. That what I put a Gen 3 front diff in mine.

Dealers are crooks so they will want to sell him a new front diff :manos: . You can get the shaft aftermarket but its a total disassembly to swap it :insane:.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
View attachment 541405I’m curious what the dealers are doing about the CV axle issues? Are they selling a new axle and retaining ring or offering options
Stopped by my local dealer this morning,and they are replacing the pass side stub shaft now,instead of the complete diff.They actually have a dozen of the kits in stock.They're getting them from an outfit in Manitoba .They did say they're one of the few dealers who are rebuilding them though,as their sister dealership in Edmonton is still replacing the complete diff assembly. So it appears like it might be specific dealers who are rebuilding the diffs,and some are still replacing the whole diff yet

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Stopped by my local dealer this morning,and they are replacing the pass side stub shaft now,instead of the complete diff.They actually have a dozen of the kits in stock.They're getting them from an outfit in Manitoba .They did say they're one of the few dealers who are rebuilding them though,as their sister dealership in Edmonton is still replacing the complete diff assembly. So it appears like it might be specific dealers who are rebuilding the diffs,and some are still replacing the whole diff yet
You’re the man

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You’re the man
I wonder if the small town dealers that service the farming communities are the ones that are more inclined to rebuild them, they need their repeat customers,as their sister dealership is city based,and isn't rebuilding them

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I wonder if the small town dealers that service the farming communities are the ones that are more inclined to rebuild them, they need their repeat customers,as their sister dealership is city based,and isn't rebuilding them
I’m not sure I was selling new Diffs to rough country kids coming in with jacked geometry but recently started rebuilding because the parts are more available and not a single company in Canada selling them on eBay here and there

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m not sure I was selling new Diffs to rough country kids coming in with jacked geometry but recently started rebuilding because the parts are more available and not a single company in Canada selling them on eBay here and there
Rick Roods i thought was selling their kits on Amazon,but it might be just Amazon.ca,and not Amazon.com.

These are the axle kits from Rick Roods. On their site they have this Ebay link

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, it seems like crooks that would sell you a diff to replace a CV axle… so I guess that generally aligns with the ethics of big city dealers.

Crazy how complicated “simple” repairs we used to do on a barn floor have become (fixing a broken axle in an OG Power Wagon with my Dad is one of my fondest memories), though nothing surprises me in our current ethos of “lifetime lubes” and engineered obsolescence.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
just in case winnipeg resident which dealership has them?

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
just in case winnipeg resident which dealership has them?
Yes, which dealership. I had my right front axle replaced before the warranty had run out, and now my left front is showing all the S&S of needing to be replaced too.

On a side note, I chap I was talking to the other day had a curious question/remark when I told him about my Ram 1500. He didn't ask about my gas mileage, but rather asked "How many axles have you replaced so far?". It caught me off guard, but I told him just the one so far.

But it got me thinking, how much of an issue/problem IS the front axles on these Ram trucks. Has it been an ongoing issue since the 70's? Or something more say with Gen 3's and/or Gen 4's...

I would l be interested in what the Members here might say on that. NOT that I want to hijack this thread of course!

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one has broken more axles on here then me :insane:

Ever since I put on the limiting straps, Never broke one so far. And its funny because all I did is limit only about 1" of down travel.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replace mine today both sides cv axles and intermediate shafts on both sides

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No one has broken more axles on here then me :insane:

Ever since I put on the limiting straps, Never broke one so far. And its funny because all I did is limit only about 1" of down travel.
Forgive me... "Limiting straps"?

Do you have pictures of what they look like installed and exactly what they are designed to do.

Are there any drawbacks to having/installing them. Are they hard to install or uninstall if needed and where did you get yours? Do they have any drawbacks while they are in place?

Are there others that have and use these Limiting Straps?

While I've never "broken" mine, (knock on wood), mine have simply ground themselves up due to (I believe) the boot having cracked and all manors of crap and corruption then finding its way in there to mix with what ever little grease was still left in the boot. And, thanks to the amount of salt and sand that gets put on our Winnipeg streets during the winter, I can only imagine what went on in there and what IS going on the left side now...