Cybertruck vs RAM 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One of the guy's points, #4, is actually a conflict with his #3. In 3 he says the CT is too big and compares it to a Ford Ranger with the idea that smaller vehicles are better for congestion. Then goes into 4 and says the CT is too short to carry a bike in the bed. This fails to consider that people use trucks differently and that, for many, a shorter bed is just the ticket. I mean I could make a video and disparage everyone who doesn't have a 8' bed like me. I think at least that "failure" (#4) isn't one.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are very few thoughtful and unbiased review channels out there, two of my favourites are Alex on Autos and Truck King. Both of these guys understand trucks and how they'd be used, most of the others are just entertainment (TFL is hit and miss, they're also huge ford fans and I can't stomach Roman for more than 10 seconds).

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Then goes into 4 and says the CT is too short to carry a bike in the bed. This fails to consider that people use trucks differently and that, for many, a shorter bed is just the ticket. I mean I could make a video and disparage everyone who doesn't have a 8' bed like me. I think at least that "failure" (#4) isn't one.

I take issue with the bed as well. They market it as a 6' bed and that it can carry a full sheet of plywood.... "A" sheet is about it. The bed is angled at the cab and only the very bottom of it is actually 6', it gets much shorter as it goes up so only something small and flat can actually utilize the 6' space.

I don't care if it is long or short but I think It's a bit of a stretch to call it a 6' bed.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I take issue with the bed as well. They market it as a 6' bed and that it can carry a full sheet of plywood.... "A" sheet is about it. The bed is angled at the cab and only the very bottom of it is actually 6', it gets much shorter as it goes up so only something small and flat can actually utilize the 6' space.

I don't care if it is long or short but I think It's a bit of a stretch to call it a 6' bed.

Yeah, Tesla can call it whatever they want but it doesn't make it so. Someone considering it as a truck may pass. Someone who is never going to open the tailgate won't care.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
The Cybertruck is ugly. There is no need to beat the dead horse. This thread is about specs. The CT is a class 2b, light duty pickup. We won't know until tomorrow how close it is to the RAM 2500, but it will have a 14,000 lb towing capacity and the off-road air suspension will absolutely destroy the off-road capability of the 2500 ..
Electric is a much better option for towing, maintenence, and performance by any benchmark. However, if you need to tow something long distance, it is the suck. Electric motors have all of there torque from 1 to 1000 rpms. There is no reason, other than suspension, it will also be vastly superrior off road as lone as the electrical components are protected from water. The test between the two will be the suspension. BTW, 2500 series suck for off road. Too heavy. Better off with a 1500 with a beefed up suspension and steering components. Cheaper too if you just have to trash something. Weight and wheel base are the biggest reasons Jeeps do much better off road than full size trucks.

Electric is the future. And they are here now and here to stay. For 90 percent of drivers, the money they will save in gas, oil changes and maintenence alone will cover the cost of insurance. It does not matter on which platform either. Trucks, full size sedans, compacts, 18 wheelers, delevery vans. Amazon is converting ALL of their suburban delevery vehicals to electric. The money they save in fuel and maintenece is astrinomical on a dailey basis. Cruise ships, trains, and city busses are mostly disel electric. Meaning an electric motor powered by a disel engine.

Dodge is dumping the big supercharged engines for AWD electric. Why? because they are going to be faster than anything you can put gas in. Tesla beat the 2018 Demon with one. That is why Dodge made the Demon170. The Tesla did 0 to 60 in 1.9. The 2018 Demon was only 2.3. The Demon170, which was its goal, 1.70, does 1.6. If you roll up next to a Tesla plaid, just let it roll away from you quietly. It will be less embarasing than being walked by a 4 door suv.

if you do not need to do long distance hauling, electric is the way to go for maximum performance in any benchmark. If you do, buy a disel.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Remember when cell phones started becoming popular? Ten thousand different adapters. Took twenty years for the industry to standardize. You'd think some folks in the technology sector would have LEARNED from that debacle and pushed for one charging interface from the start.

The industry never standardized, primarily thanks to Apple. EU forced the industry to standardize.

Anything standardized becomes a commodity, and commodity profits are slim. Proprietary = de facto monopoly, or in other words proprietary = profit center. What is the incentive for anyone in the for profit tech sector to standardize if they are a big enough player to drive the market?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Dodge is dumping the big supercharged engines for AWD electric. Why? because they are going to be faster than anything you can put gas in. Tesla beat the 2018 Demon with one. That is why Dodge made the Demon170. The Tesla did 0 to 60 in 1.9. The 2018 Demon was only 2.3. The Demon170, which was its goal, 1.70, does 1.6. If you roll up next to a Tesla plaid, just let it roll away from you quietly. It will be less embarasing than being walked by a 4 door suv.

You know why people still love golden age muscle cars? Hint: They aren't fast.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Electric is the future. And they are here now and here to stay. For 90 percent of drivers, the money they will save in gas, oil changes and maintenence alone will cover the cost of insurance.
Given current electric rates in California it is cheaper to fuel a gas vehicle than an EV. The savings aren't as great as consumers are being led to believe. Let's also not forget that the government is subsidizing each EV sold, to the tune of several thousand dollars. If consumers had to pay the actual cost of one they'd make even less sense than they do currently.

How long is the vehicle going to last? The average car on American roads is 12.5 years old and a Tesla battery only lasts 10 years. The first owner may not have a problem, the second or third one will.

Where do you charge at? A third of American households RENT. Will landlords be installing chargers on their properties? Doubtful. What about homeowners who park on the street? Going to run an extension cord across the sidewalk overnight and hope nobody runs it over or unplugs it? There are 160,000 gas stations in America. Given current charging times we will need two to three times that many charging stations to support mass EV adoption. I don't see numbers of them being built, and the process takes years.

Even if you solve the longevity and charging time problems, there isn't sufficient electricity in the national power grid to meet demand. Everybody takes for granted that you flip the switch and the lights come on. Electricity is a finite resource, we can only produce so much of it per hour (largely by burning evil ol fossil fuels) and in many places the grid is already maxed out, we can't support millions of EVs being plugged in to charge.

The cost savings... a lie.
The range... a lie.
The ease of use... a lie.
The "green" factor... a lie.

What else you got?

Last edited:

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
The Cybertruck is ugly. There is no need to beat the dead horse. This thread is about specs. The CT is a class 2b, light duty pickup. We won't know until tomorrow how close it is to the RAM 2500, but it will have a 14,000 lb towing capacity and the off-road air suspension will absolutely destroy the off-road capability of the 2500 ..
And there lots of places off road to charge it up right?

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CT might be different but the Rivian and F150 Lightning both had a limit of about 100 miles when towing 7500lb box trailer. Takes about 30 minutes to charge back to 50% and cost $40 for that charge. Watch the youtube videos. I watched 3 or 4 yesterday and all had similar results. So unless you are charging at home it is more costly to tow with than gas, you have to disconnect your trailer at most charging stations, and it takes you probably closer to 50 minutes to get to full charge. And if you are towing you will likely run it pretty low unless you have charging stations every 10 miles or so, which around here we don't. Oh...and the regen on the Rivian only gave them 2% charge when going back down the Ike Gauntlet, which is bigger than any hill most of us will ever go down.
You mean the Rivian with its 54” bed?

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
It might start off filling a specialized niche market. My construction vehicles seldom exceeded 100 miles in travel in a day, but occasionally dealt with large loads. Like the time the concrete truck slid off my customer's driveway in the snow, or the crane got stuck in the mud. An EV has oodles of torque at low speeds. It could haul a tool trailer from job to job just fine, and charge up at home overnight. It might not be suitable for most of things I use my 2500 Cummins for, but if it excels for some uses, people will use it. And further generations of vehicles will evolve.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ideal truck for someone who doesn’t need a truck. Flatbed option? No Accepts utility bed?No, takes a sled in camper? No, ladder rack capable ? No, Easy to clean front windshield? No, Low insurance rates? That SS body will cost $$ to fix and insurance companies will charge accordingly.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Maybe Todd over at Project Farm can test the CT vs Lightening vs Rivian for use as a farm truck. Though he will need a LOT more donations to make the purchases.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You know why people still love golden age muscle cars? Hint: They aren't fast.
Because those cars have style, they bring people together, they are fun to tinker with, and they are fast.

Nothing better than hanging out and working on rebuilding a carburetor or something similar. Just can't say the same for the CT. Scenario: in a garage. "Hey, come here and watch me push this button".

Nope, never going to be the same where a group can just take pride in the history of their vehicle. Formerly it was about installing a lift or rebuilding the engine, fixing a broken accessory and taking pride in it all. Soon it will be explaining that it is the 4th battery pack I put in.

EMdoc12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Even though I’ve had a day one cybertruck reservation I still think it’s butt ugly and I just don’t think it’s gonna work for me.

I still think the RamCharger is the ideal truck if it does what they claim it will do. Plenty of charge for daily driving all electric and then can still long haul tow a travel trailer easily. Being able to simply hit a gas station on a trip while towing makes things easy. Especially with the lack of pull through chargers out there.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soon it will be explaining that it is the 4th battery pack I put in.
Oh no. If anything the industry is moving away from anybody without a four year degree and a workshop full of speciality tools being able to do anything to their vehicle at all.