Cyl 1 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwhalen123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L etorque
Hey all, new to the group. I have 21 ram 1500 3.6L with etorque that I’ve owned since new. Recently bought my lease out and of course no sooner did I do that and it started misfiring on cylinder 1 while towing our boat back from Maine. I replaced the plug and coil pack just to get them both out of the way as I don’t have a lot of time working on it. After doing that, it still misfires intermittently but more often than not under higher rpm’s. It goes to the dealership Wed to get looked at. Hoping it’s just an injector.

OP
OP
J

Jwhalen123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L etorque
Well I just heard back from the dealership today. Tech said it's "worst case" scenario. The lifters were sticking, rockers and cam were failing. They're gonna have to replace the entire right side and of course most of the parts are on back order. My main concern now is what about the other side? Shouldn't that get rebuilt as well? My power train warranty is just about up so I really don't want the other side to fail after it expires. Anybody have any suggestions or experience with this?
:confused:

OP
OP
J

Jwhalen123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L etorque
So the dealer has no timeline on when they can get parts in. They said they've been trying to buy from other dealerships but nobody is willing to sell because of this being so common. This is our household's only vehicle and they don't seem to understand (or care) about that. I keep pushing for a whole new engine because I feel that even if they drop the oil pan and the cut the oil filter, there are still parts of the engine where debris could linger which could cause failure down the line (in my opinion). Not to mention, I'm assuming the valve train on the left bank would be of the same "batch" as the failed right bank. Making them susceptible to failure as well. The dealer rep tells me "We rarely have to replace engines on these and we do a lot of them." He quickly recanted and said only 2-3 a month, lol. Call me crazy, but that's A LOT! With there no eta on parts, I'm hoping it's easier to source a new engine and they agree, but I doubt it. I just spoke with Chrysler Cares this morning and the rep opened a case for me. She said she'd call the dealership and push for my requests. They're going to cover a whopping $45/day for 10 days on a rental at least. Which is disappointing because that doesn't even put a dent in a truck rental.

OP
OP
J

Jwhalen123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L etorque
Update: I never heard back from Chrysler Cares but dealership called me earlier this afternoon saying they had good news and that their parts guy was able to pull some strings and got the parts in this morning and the tech was already installing them. Fast forward to now (an hour or so later), the truck is done and ready to be picked up. I was assured over the phone that the tech inspected the left bank and the oil to confirm the other components and the engine remain unscathed. Time will tell I guess.