Dead spot in steering wheel after Redhead install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

Doom It Yourselfer
Reaction score
On my back with a beer, ratchet, and cuss words
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
About a couple months ago, I installed a Redhead steering gear in my truck. BIG difference in overall steering feel!

However, over the last couple weeks, I've noticed that the steering has lost it's sharpness, and I've zeroed it down to a "dead spot" in the steering wheel. Basically, if the steering wheel is at the "zero" position and whether or not the engine is running, I can plant a finger on the steering wheel and easily rotate it about an inch or two either way before it seems to catch anything.

I've since gone under the hood and verified that that this "slop" is definitely at the gear. I can grab the steering shaft and rotate it in the same range as the steering wheel before I encounter any resistance. The u-joint in the shaft is free of slop, and I just can't think of anything else in the linkage that would account for this problem.

Redhead flat out says not to adjust the gear as it will void the warranty, but I am well past that stage anyway (I purchased the unit about 2 years ago, yeah, I'm slow to get to my repairs, LOL), but I'm thinking that this is necessary to deal with this problem. Anyone have any other suggestions, or should I try adjusting the gear?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't have any knowledge of your set up but think it is worth saying that if the manufacturer of a steering component is so adamant that an adjustment should not be made that they void the warranty, maybe listen to them. It isn't the actual warranty loss (you are maybe out already?) but that they think it is a really bad idea. Doing an adjustment to such a critical component then waiting to find out why they say not to, not the best game to play.

Suggest you contact them first, they may have some advice on your problem.

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you have the specific instructions on adjusting that particular gear, you'll probably do more damage than good.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Call Redhead!!!! Ten to one they can tell you exactly how to fix this far faster than the internet. The OEM steering box on my 96 2500 has an adjustment nut to take slack out of the gear box. Every 8 or 10 years I adjust it 1/8 to a quarter turn. Still working great at 265000 klms.