DeeZee Bed Caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can't seem to find pics online, so help me out if anyone has them.
I had diamond plate bed caps on my old truck and wanted them for my new '14 Ram, but can't seem to find any pics of what the tailgate piece looks like. Obviously the tailgate has the exaggerated top lip so I have no idea how it wraps around that, or to what extent it covers it. Anyone have them care to post pics?

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, either no one has these or no one cares, lol.
I did order these and finally got them on today though. Not bad. I prefer a more seamless look between the side rails and the tailgate, but the larger lip on the ram tailgate isn't conducive I guess. Still looks good though, and yes, those are the old plastic rails on the ground. If they are not removed, the pre-drilled holes on the new rails sit too high and don't go through the lip properly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,946
OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And one more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 243
OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The sides were about $70 on autoanything.com, and $32 for the tailgate piece. Watch the shipping though, my tailgate piece was bent slightly, but I was able to straighten it out.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! Do you know what they made of? Pretty heavy?

I really like them... they look tough. :)

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would you mind posting a pic at the front end of the bed right behind the cab? Thanks!

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, I kinda figured you liked black, lol
Pic is below. I'm not thrilled with the fit at the cab side; it could have been 3/8 of an inch longer, but the plastic OEM ones were off a little too IMO.
Install was easy. They come with or without stake pocket holes, so if you have tie down hooks in your stake pockets thats really enough. I got the ones without holes, but they come with 3m tape underneath and attach with 2 bolts on each piece. I included a pic too. I ripped off the plastic sides (not the tailgate) and cleaned with the included alcohol wipes. Positioned them, then flipped over, removed tape, pressed down firmly, then drilled holes for the bolts. I added some loctite on the nuts and tighter them up and done. Very easy, really.
I am still looking for a piece for the cab piece. I don't know if Deezee makes them, but I know they make ones for other trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 69

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey thanks for the install tips! You are right, the oem one's are a little short too.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sides look nice, the tailgate piece leaves much to be desired for me.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the DeeZee caps in smooth stainless and I won't buy from them again. One side was about 3/8 inch shorter than the other, the stake pocket holes don't line up with the holes in the bed (glad I checked before I cut the plastic rails) and the tailgate piece is a joke.
Glad yours came out better. They look really good.

seaham358

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Black Express package
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JohnD why is the tailgate piece a joke? I' thinking of getting one.. I have scratched the heck out of the top of the plastic TG cover and want to cover it..

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't use the stake pockets really, so I didn't get the ones with cutouts so I didn't have any line-up issues, fortunately.
I'm not a huge fan of the tailgate protector, personally. I like a more uniform meeting in the corners (better flow from sides to tailgate) but the shape of our tailgates would be very challenging to bend around, to I understand it, to a point. It definitely offers more protection and if it gets damaged, it's $30 instead of a new OEM plastic piece.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JohnD why is the tailgate piece a joke? I' thinking of getting one.. I have scratched the heck out of the top of the plastic TG cover and want to cover it..

The tailgate piece doesn't cover the entire top of the tailgate. It's got a radius cut that lies inside the flat, curved top of the tailgate, leaving the raised lip exposed.

On any other truck with rail and tail caps, you end up with a matching edge all the way around the bed. Not so with these.

I don't have any pics of it - and good luck finding pics of it online. I searched for days for a pic before I ordered it and never could find one. I think they know they wouldn't sell any if we could see them, first.

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here is a slightly better pic of the tailgate piece (from the same set as the ones I posted earlier, but different angle I hadn't posted)
I actually emailed DeeZee this morning and made a few suggestions, namely extended the cab side 3/8" and adding about an inch to the radius on the top lip. I think another inch would bring it closer to the groove and meet up closer to the side rails, without being too difficult to bend. Given the exaggerated lines of the OEM tailgate piece, I don't see how they could easily bend sheet metal to contour to it, but I'm not a sheet metal fabricator.
They said they would pass my email to R&D and get back to me. I'm not holding my breath, but I do have a machinist buddy, and a right angle with a curve can't be that hard to make, so maybe I'll dig into it a little more.
If I could get someone local to make 'em, would anybody be interested? Again, wouldn't be perfect fit, just a right angle piece with a curved lip for the top that would be larger than the one in the pic. Thoughts? Any fabricators want to make a few?
:grd:

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 73