Think It's Totaled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I had a damaged tailgate & rear bumper.
Call insurance, they sent out an adjuster & he just glanced at it, never talked to anyone at the Body Shop.

I asked if my insurance payments would go up, he Hemmed & Hawed & mumbled something that i could not hear.

I told him that i would pay to fix it myself, he then said that he had to be paid for his estimate.

I plainly stated that i would not be the one paying him, he left a might irritated

?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I don't trust insurance adjusters, they are just sneaky money grabbers.
As i mentioned, he never even spoke to anyone at the body shop, so he could only see the truck through the fence.

So is the same for the body shop/collision repair centers. They rip the insurance companies to make an profit ...

Trust me, I already know.

Last edited:

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So is the same for the body shop/collision repair centers. They rip the insurance companies to make an profit ...

Trust me, I already know.
I got in a wreck one time in my old '96. Another truck cut in front of me and the front bumper caught their rear fender well. Pulled the bumper out, popped the turn signal, and left a little dent where the bumper went. I got 3 quotes and all were about $1200. Their insurance wanted me to go to their preferred shop. I went to their shop and they quoted me $2800. Called their insurance and told them their shop was ripping them off. They didn't care and said they go off of that estimate and would send me a check.

Got the check, went and bought the parts for around $300. Pocketed $2500.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Not certain of title laws where you are but generally if insurance says total loss, tough not getting a branded title regardless of if you fix it yourself or if it's sold at salvage and someone else repairs. Insurance company is required to report total loss on all vehicles.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
100% agreed!

BTW **** Allstate to whoever said they were the best!

Of all the shops I called to schedule quotes 4 shops straight up said not a chance to taking Allstate insurance including the one that built my hotrod Dakota and did all that custom work for me. A long time friend of the family. They said that Allstate doesn't pay them and they want nothing to do with them.

When this is all said and done I'll talk about some of the BS these guys have tried already
"Fusk" Allstate to whoever said they were the best . Nice response . When I see that kind of response I just wonder who I am dealing with . Do you ever stop to think about why I would come on here ,and say I think this or that is the best ? No I doubt you think at all ,just react . I have no reason to give my opinion of anything unless I think it's true . 50 years with the same insurance ,and have never had a problem . I'm thinking you haven't even been around for 50 years , so I need to take that into account to who has that kind of response .

Maybe the appropriate response would have been , that's great you have had that good of service from your insurance , I have not . Anyway nice stuff coming from an Administrator , keep up the good work . :waytogo:

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like all companies it comes down to its employees and how they operate. My guess is that your great experience has less to do with the actual company and more to do with specific employees and how they run that specific "branch". My family and I have been with the same insurance company for many years and for the most part it's been great. However, some agents are less than ideal. We've been lucky that those individuals don't last long.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like all companies it comes down to its employees and how they operate. My guess is that your great experience has less to do with the actual company and more to do with specific employees and how they run that specific "branch". My family and I have been with the same insurance company for many years and for the most part it's been great. However, some agents are less than ideal. We've been lucky that those individuals don't last long.

Big reason I even bothered to comment on an insurance company ,was like it has always been with Allstate for 50 years , no hesitation with a claim ,nor any low balling. This last claim was wind damage to my roof , some missing shingles , not a lot ,but some on just about every slope . You don't deal with an agent these days ,you can take care of everything online . I summited a claim , they sent the adjuster , he evaluated the roof , well we can patch this , so they do a color match analysis , didn't happen , couldn't match ,shingles have faded , but only 11 years old , guess what we did the same thing 11 years ago ,wind damage full roof replacement , back then not even attempt to color match ,just replaced the whole roof . Anyway their estimate was 35,500, first check 14K to get started ,contractors was 36,800, we decided on new heat cables , old ones 11 years old ,so that was extra, insurance only estimated , remove ,and replace ,not new ones . They just sent the check for the balance of 36,800 ,not the 35,500 . No questions asked .

Had some tailgate damage , no adjuster , was told pick a shop ,took it to one recommended by one of my sons , told them my insurance ,gave the info . All I did was go pick it up from the shop when done . This place is a high quality ,high volume local repair shop . So all I got say about whoever made the claim four shops wherever he lives denies Allstate , all I have to say about that is Bull **** . 50 years using Allstate , not one word uttered about what insurance I had .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

To add further , neighbors ,same wind damage , you guessed it ,just patched the roof , looked like he!! . Insurance would not replace the whole roof .This was on the first time around 11 years ago , roof sustained about the same damage as mine ,that was replaced by "ALLSTATE" . I think they were happy they didn't get any damage this past April like I did. Their shingles have faded to where they "ALMOST" match , don't look as bad as they did . They would look even worse getting patched now .

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Iv'e noticed that .

Here's an Allstate experience I'll share with you ...

Back in the very early 1980's I had insured my brand new truck with Allstate.

After a year and a half my semi annual premium doubled, so I made an appointment over the phone with the secretary to speak directly with my insurance agent. I've had no accidents/or claims.

When I showed up for the appointment, the secretary stated that she could handle my situation for resolve.

I stated, I'd rather speak with my insurance agent whom I signed on with.

The secretary stated with the same previous reply that she could take care of my concerns ...

Long story short, my insurance agent had been dead for ten years, so no, I wasn't going to able to converse my concerns with him.

I immediately cancelled my policy.

And State Farm ain't any better.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow all this insurance talk makes me kind of glad I stuck with mine, Indiana farm bureau. They have an office right here in my small town I can literally walk in and talk to my agent any time. A little more expensive than some of the big guys but worth it for the personal touch.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We used to have state farm. They were always good when it came to hehicles for us. About 12 years ago, we had a big wind/hail storm come through. Everyone in our small town of 1500 people was getting a new roof through insurance. State farm tried giving me 7 shingles...not even a full bundle. They did the same thing to our child care provider also. I had to fight state farm for basically a year to get them to give me a roof, and the siding took forever to get resolved also. Needless to say, but state farm was gone after I finally got payment from them. Shouldn't have to fight like that to get what you deserve. Glad my wife does health insurance for a living, so we have another lady in her office that does our home and auto insurance...it is best having someone you know and trust that is your agent. That makes things a lot smoother!!!

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here's an Allstate experience I'll share with you ...

Back in the very early 1980's I had insured my brand new truck with Allstate.

After a year and a half my semi annual premium doubled, so I made an appointment over the phone with the secretary to speak directly with my insurance agent. I've had no accidents/or claims.

When I showed up for the appointment, the secretary stated that she could handle my situation for resolve.

I stated, I'd rather speak with my insurance agent whom I signed on with.

The secretary stated with the same previous reply that she could take care of my concerns ...

Long story short, my insurance agent had been dead for ten years, so no, I wasn't going to able to converse my concerns with him.

I immediately cancelled my policy.

And State Farm ain't any better

So the secretary was running the office for ten years ? :) I have a feeling that some of you from your comments are not happy with insurance period . Yes it's a necessary evil . I just pay my premiums , and head to Montana fishing . :fishing1:

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We used to have state farm. They were always good when it came to hehicles for us. About 12 years ago, we had a big wind/hail storm come through. Everyone in our small town of 1500 people was getting a new roof through insurance. State farm tried giving me 7 shingles...not even a full bundle. They did the same thing to our child care provider also. I had to fight state farm for basically a year to get them to give me a roof, and the siding took forever to get resolved also. Needless to say, but state farm was gone after I finally got payment from them. Shouldn't have to fight like that to get what you deserve. Glad my wife does health insurance for a living, so we have another lady in her office that does our home and auto insurance...it is best having someone you know and trust that is your agent. That makes things a lot smoother!!!

These insurance stories sound pretty bad . I guess for whatever I reasons have never had the slightest problem with Allstate , nor any sudden increase in premiums . Naturally the premiums have increased over the years . I have compared costs with other insurance companies over the years to see if there would be any great savings , nothing even worth changing . I have everything insured thru them , auto ,home ,and RV's .

This agent thing sounds pretty crazy . We started as said with Allstate ,and the agent 50 years ago was the husband of my wife's friend , and coworker . Long since retired . I couldn't tell you who my agent is now ,nor do I care . I filed a claim thru one phone call, got a claim # on this last roof replacement , and everything else is done thru emails . I got a couple follow up calls to see how things were going . The lady somewhere in Texas handling the claim called me a couple times telling when the money was coming to our bank account , plus emails confirming . I don't know much smoother a claim can be .

The slightest problem I have ever had with Allstate was the roof replacement 11 years ago . The adjuster wanted to first just patch the roof , had the roofer right there with me , couldn't match the shingle ,no longer made ,color etc ,and it was a metric sized shingle . Next he wanted to just replace the slopes effected . :oops: What I am going to have a two tone roof , well we will replace the entire back of the house , all the slopes . So now I am going to have a house with basically two different colors front ,and back ? No way to even match with hopefully something close . This conversation was standing in my driveway . Before he left he came to his senses , and conceded to an entire roof .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rob345