Diablosport in tune i3 not backing up PCM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got my i3 the other day and hooked it to my Wi-Fi and updated it. Next day went into my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 and connected to it, but received an error. Took it inside and had a calibration update and then back to the truck. Now it recognizes it, but the i3 will not perform the backup. Is there a way to force it to backup without changing tunes? I'm still on my stock PCM which is locked. I cannot start swap process, because I don't have a backup to load to the diablosport PCM. I did drop Holley technical support and email yesterday and hope they get back to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
PA Ram

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So apparently diablosport told me that 2017 Rams do not need to perform a backup of the stock PCM first.

OP
OP
PA Ram

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am being told I use the original part number, not the software updated p/n. Would be really nice if there was a user install guide. Can anyone else confirm which part number they used?

1726173866456.jpeg

Rambo444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The number ending in 303ab would be the original p/n.

Can you not just install the unlocked pcm and then connect with diablo and add your custom tune? Or say 91 octane tune?

OP
OP
PA Ram

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The number ending in 303ab would be the original p/n.

Can you not just install the unlocked pcm and then connect with diablo and add your custom tune? Or say 91 octane tune?
I knew which was the original, just wasn't sure which number to use for the swap. You can, there is virtually no documentation and you have to have a stock tune backed up which I assumed meant backing up my stock PCM to my tuner,but that's not the case. I backup the unlocked PCM and then set my tune.

Rambo444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it should back up before programming the diablo tune. Make sure to adjust the gas pedal signal multiplier, make a big difference

OP
OP
PA Ram

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it should back up before programming the diablo tune. Make sure to adjust the gas pedal signal multiplier, make a big difference
I have a 9 drive pedal controller on mine. How much of a difference does that make? I'd take the 9 drive off of the lag was gone. Hate the amount of lag in the stock pedal setup.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the 303AB is the actual part number. The "Module part number" is the one that has the software configuration .
Diablo wants both those numbers on the form. Did on mine, any way.

In reality, they only really care about the 303AB, as it has the correct / compatible hardware inside the module. They jam the updated software into them all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PA Ram

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the 303AB is the actual part number. The "Module part number" is the one that has the software configuration .

In reality, they only really care about the 303AB, as it the correct / compatible hardware inside the module. They jam the updated software into them all.
They only ask for VIN and part number and then part number and serial from the tuner on the current form.

OP
OP
PA Ram

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a screenshot from the Holley site. Tech told me to use the original part number for calibration id.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240913_060355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_060355_Chrome.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240913_062650_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_062650_Chrome.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
PA Ram

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

In reality, they only really care about the 303AB, as it the correct / compatible hardware inside the module. They jam the updated software into them all.
I think this is what the tech was saying too. The tuner will download and load calibration updates as necessary. If it determines the truck calibration is too old it will trigger a download. When I connected my i3 to my truck it said not compatible and then I went in and connected to Wi-Fi and had a calibration update. It's weird that my tuner and alfaobd and torque pro all pull a different calibration id then what's on the stickers. Wonder if it had another update and just never got a sticker. I bought my 2017 in Jan 2022 and am the 2nd owner. I'm assuming the original owner had it in for service under warranty a few times.