Did I just buy junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffnDes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked up a 2018 2500 tradesman last week. And the longer I look at it, the more squirrely stuff I see. It was used as a work truck I’m sure. But it has lower mileage and drives really well. But while looking under it today, I noticed that all of the cab mount bolts have been removed and reinstalled. I have the carfax for this truck and it’s incredibly extensive, except replacing body mount bolts or something related. Overall it’s in good condition with the exception of some body repair done at some point and usual wear. The body bolts bug me because I don’t know what’s been done. Looking for input here. Thanks!IMG_7894.jpeg

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Newer vehicles should have body panel #s so check if they all match. Disclaimer.... I've never done this but a friend in the autobody biz tells me to do when looking at a used vehicle. But, I just call him and buy him beers to look things over so have never done it myself.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Chances are the body had to be lifted to get to something for a repair. What that repair would be, would be anyone's guess without knowing the repair history. That or it was involved in a rollover or other serious accident and they just replaced the cab, but that would likely be on the Carfax.

OP
OP
JeffnDes

JeffnDes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you posted

good condition with the exception of some body repair done

what repairs were done ??
What I can actually see is the front passenger side of the bed has been repaired/repainted and it’s not perfect but definitely passable. To me it’s an obvious repair that I saw when I was looking it over and it doesn’t bother me one bit.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've removed the cab bolts and reinstalled them myself while putting a body lift on. Throw a wrench on them to make sure they're tight and forget about them.
If it drives straight, everything works as it should, crawl up under it and check for tight, as mentioned above. If all good, roll on. You'll drive yourself insane obsessing over it otherwise. Ask me how I know. I'm not arguing with me, yes you aren't. Get off my keyboard. Stop it. You stop. :)

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
There was a nuisance issue of clunking sound under the cab, and replacing cab mounts was "a fix" prescribed. I wouldn't sweat it unless you discover something beyond that.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just picked up a 2018 2500 tradesman last week. And the longer I look at it, the more squirrely stuff I see. It was used as a work truck I’m sure. But it has lower mileage and drives really well. But while looking under it today, I noticed that all of the cab mount bolts have been removed and reinstalled. I have the carfax for this truck and it’s incredibly extensive, except replacing body mount bolts or something related. Overall it’s in good condition with the exception of some body repair done at some point and usual wear. The body bolts bug me because I don’t know what’s been done. Looking for input here. Thanks!View attachment 547681
It could be pervious owner used Nerf bars that used the cab bolts, I know the one I installed on my 2006 came with new longer cab bolts for the nerf bar brackets...

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Could also be one of the many where the cab and box didn't line up from the factory and needed adjustment.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It could be pervious owner used Nerf cars that used the cab bolts, I know the one I installed on my 2006 came with new longer cab bolts for the nerf bar brackets...

I'd forgotten about this, I think it was common in the early/mid '00s to need to pull the cab bolts to install a LOT of aftermarket nerf bars. I put them on my FIL's '03 and you're 100% right, had to pull cab bolts to install them.

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
Could have been taking them out to lift the cab to get to any number of small simple fixes. Unless you actually see something wrong, don't worry about it.
I was thinking the same thing. Dave's Auto always lifts the cab on these HD trucks as they can clean everything and also it gives access to the entire engine bay. The question is what dis they fix? If you have the Cummins and have not replaced the engine heating grate bolt, do it quickly. If it let's go, it grenades the engine.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible they removed the cab bolts to pull the frame back into alignment?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 116880 miles.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was thinking the same thing. Dave's Auto always lifts the cab on these HD trucks as they can clean everything and also it gives access to the entire engine bay. The question is what dis they fix? If you have the Cummins and have not replaced the engine heating grate bolt, do it quickly. If it let's go, it grenades the engine.
So by this logic, everyone who buys a Hemi should replace the cam and lifters asap. After all, that failure is way more common than the grid heater bolt on the Cummins.

Or one could just check the grid heater bolt for loosening at every oil change. If it is loose, then do the repair.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So by this logic, everyone who buys a Hemi should replace the cam and lifters asap. After all, that failure is way more common than the grid heater bolt on the Cummins.

Or one could just check the grid heater bolt for loosening at every oil change. If it is loose, then do the repair.
Chris, what years Cummins does this issue affect?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 116929 miles.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
A bunch of years for the 6.7. I know my 2016 has one since I check it at every oil change and any other time I have the hood open.

I bet Google knows the full year range.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A bunch of years for the 6.7. I know my 2016 has one since I check it at every oil change and any other time I have the hood open.

I bet Google knows the full year range.
Thank you!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 116978 miles.

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque

It is not loose, it breaks due to corrosion and half of it falls into the engine. There is no warning noise, like a tick. The head remains and it is a 20k new engine at that point. Just replace it.