Diesel Turbo Cleaner Sprays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Hello, all. I do keep my exhaust brake on full--especially around town--to help keep too much soot from building up in the turbo and actuator. But I am curious about the Turbo Cleaner products I have seen. Directions include removing the air filter and bumping the rpm to 1200 and spraying the stuff into the air inlet for a number of seconds, and then repeating. Also, some say change the engine oil & filter immediately afterwards.

Some reviews of these products say that any soot that is dislodged can clog the DPF, but a regen will clear that out, no? A Google search resulted in a plethora of products. Anyone here ever use one of these products? .....

Last edited:

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the question. I’m curious about this as well. I keep my exhaust brake on as well and wondered if it caused backup in the turbo. I’ll be interested to see the replies.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hello, all. I do keep my exhaust brake on full--especially around town--to help keep too much soot from building up in the turbo and actuator. But I am curious about the Turbo Cleaner products I have seen. Directions include removing the air filter and bumping the rpm to 1200 and spraying the stuff into the air inlet for a number of seconds, and then repeating. Also, some say change the engine oil & filter immediately afterwards.

Some reviews of these products say that any soot that is dislodged can clog the DPF, but a regen will clear that out, no? A Google search resulted in a plethora of products. Anyone here ever use one of these products? .....

Never had the need to use it in my 06 5.9 CTD and don't see the need or plan on using it on my 2022 6.7l CTD

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
town--to help keep too much soot from building up in the turbo and actuator. But I am curious about the Turbo Cleaner products I have seen. Directions include removing the air filter and bumping the rpm to 1200 and spraying the stuff into the air inlet for a number of seconds, and then repeating. Also, some say change the engine oil & filter immediately afterwards.
You have to wonder what is in the product if it can reduce soot in the exhaust when spraying it into the intake. The 1000+ degrees during combustion will burn up just about anything.
You would be farther ahead to put a big load behind the truck and then give it a good flogging up some grades. Probably a good majority don't come close to really working a Cummins hard.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
When i had a 5.9 6BTA in my old boat, I was a boatdiesel.com forum member. The Cummins “ guru” out of California touted a dawn and water mix to clean out the aftercooler and intake manifold.
A spray bottle with 2 tablespoons Dawn the rest water was the wash, and plain water in another spray bottle was the rinse.
While underway with a good load on ( not wide open) remove the air filter and spray the Dawn mixture several times until the exhaust is clear. Then spray the rinse water.
It was amazing how much crap came out the exhaust.
I wouldn’t do that with today's emissions.