Do You Keep Your Cummins Exhaust Brake Set At Full?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

urbex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
On my prior 2010 2500, I never had the exhaust brake on unless I had 5K or more on the hitch. Truck ran to 250K equivalent miles (100K by odometer, but LOTS of idle hours..) with zero problems before it was swapped out for a new F350 (work truck, paid for by the company..I had zero say in what make/model was purchased).

I picked up a '17 2500 for a personal truck about a month ago, and recently started experimenting with having it on full on always, auto, and off all while unloaded, and I've found having it on either mode is just plain annoying during normal driving.

Without touching the brakes, having it full on just brings the surprise moment when it drops out around 45mph. Lightly riding the brakes will keep it engaged down to 25 or so, but then it's like it's braking too hard/too quick until that surprise! moment when I have to get on the brakes harder.

There's been a number of times that I've nearly rear ended the car in front of me because I didn't anticipate the EB disengaging quick enough. Pretty sure I'm going to spend more in citations and insurance hikes than an actuator or brake pads/rotors would cost if I hit someone else, lol.

Going back to only using it while towing heavy.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I always had mine on full. The actuator still **** the bed at 164000kms.

You think an $800 driveline fluid change is expensive? Wait until you see how much a dealer charges for a turbo actuator. They wanted $4k just for the part.

Yup. For a new OEM turbo and actuator, it's $6,500 . . . .

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is why you use the EB to hedge your bets... :)

And if it still manages to fail (which is pretty rare but obviously not impossible), you buy the city diesel replacement option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KW_RAM