Dodge Hornet ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
My wife doesn't care for her Subaru Forester Wilderness.

It's a CVT, kinda slow, and it is forever beeping at you if you dodge a pothole, or get too close to something.

She calls it "Snitch".

And she doesn't like the dealer.

I like the ground clearance because we have a cabin in the woods, other than that don't care.

The Hornet only has 6" of ground clearance, but looks to be way spunkier.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would not buy anything with a turbo in it thats just me. If it was just a v6 without a turbo maybe

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife's Toyota CH-R has a lot of that too. It's forever beeping at me, but not her. Mostly the LDA as I like riding the line in corners.

The Spyder has a VSS - Vehicle Stability System. All the ryders refer to it as Nanny.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reliability ?
Part of it is that the other is I live in Phoenix az and vehicles with turbos do not do well with the summer heat. My neighbor has a newer car with turbo and he is always complaining about how it lags real bad and is horrible to drive in the summer. In the winter it runs great. Just not when it over 105 plus degrees. I do not want that headache. I dont mind a v6 if I have to the last one I owned was a 2010 challenger and it was ok. I do perfer my 5.7l

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Reliability ?

Today's Turbo's are far superior to the ones from decades past.
(Looking at you 80's era Turbo's)
Today's engines are producing more horsepower, all by themselves.
Transmissions have MUCH better gearing and reliabilty.

Still, the single biggest issue is HEAT.
Again, manufacturers have learned this being Manufacturers,
they still go, with what they feel, is the most cost effective systems.
If planning on long term ownership, I recommend spending some money and upgrading certain parts of the system.
Specifically, the intercooler.
Wife has a Ford Explorer ST and I am thinking it;s getting a Whipple.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are these simply not selling?
They are the second slowest selling car in the US. Unless you buy the base model any of the nicely equipped versions are overpriced for the vehicle segment they're in. In a whole Stellantis is starting to incentive all the US vehicles to hopefully pump up sales.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There was a women on here that ordered one new and when it came in she passed on it. She ordered a higher end one. I know she was excited to get one and then was really disappointed when it came in. What about the new Cherokee? My wife has the L but they are the same thing. Super nice and ours hasn't given us one issue. It does have its recalls but most of them it hasn't needed. The screen hasn't delaminated or anything. We even bought it new first year.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have seen several Hornets on the road, locally. In typical Stellantis fashion, they are vastly overpriced. As a re-labeled Alfa Romeo, I think many are worried about poor quality, perhaps justifiably.

Has she driven a Honda Passport or Pilot? Our 2020 Grand Cherokee has served us well, but they went berzerk with the pricing soon after we bought ours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Has she driven a Honda Passport or Pilot? Our 2020 Grand Cherokee has served us well, but they went berzerk with the pricing soon after we bought ours.

A Honda tried to kill her once, she'll not consider one. Grand Cherokee would be preferred but they are higher than a cat's back these days.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A Honda tried to kill her once, she'll not consider one. Grand Cherokee would be preferred but they are higher than a cat's back these days.

I have two female cousins with them(sisters)

Female people seem to be attracted them. Anyways. One has R/T Plus PHEV, and other has GT Plus.

I drove both of them. Seem fine. When they told me how much they paid - employee discount (both work at STA plant). It was WOW, you paid that much for this piece of crap.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the base is priced okay as long as you stay away from the R/T version. The R/T puts you in a price range where you can buy a lot better vehicles.

The base has good power and can be upgraded for not a lot.

I don't see them on the road, but dealerships all have them in my area. I was looking at one in the lobby and it was a acceptable for a run around town vehicle.

That said, I would test drive it and find a forum dedicated to it so you can get feedback from owners.

I test drove the Alfa small SUV when it came out years ago and it was fast and fun, but the turbo lag was bad. That's not to say this is bad, test drive it and get some feedback. If you like it, I'd offer under invoice.