Down shifting 2015 bighorn 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dynaglider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 6.4
I have noticed that when coming to a stop, the transmission doesn’t go into 2nd gear. It goes from 6th to 5th, 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd, then 3rd to 1st. It skips 2nd gear every time down shifting. I do not have a problem taking off from a stop, it goes through all six gears. This is a 2015 2500 mega 6.4 with 65,000 miles. I did have the transmission fluid changed at the dealership about a month ago and found that they did not fill the transmission to full. I had to add 1 1/2 quarts to bring it to full status. I drove for about a month with low transmission fluid. Do I have a problem or does all six speed transmissions skip 2nd gear when coming to a stop.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I never really paid much attention to my 6.4, but I think it's pretty common for any transmission to skip gears when coming to a stop. IIRC my 6.4 would be in 3rd gear at 25 mph cruising through town, chances are it understands you're coming to a stop and that it doesn't need to hit 2nd gear.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't know if there is a difference for the HDs, but the 1500 six speed never goes 1-2-3-4-5-6 unless forced to by manually selecting gears.

On it's own, it selects either 2 *or* 3 depending on conditions, but never both. So either 1-2-4 or 1-3-4.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It skips 2nd gear every time down shifting
Are you barley moving when it skips 2nd? Most likely the engine rpm doesn't warrant downshifting through 2nd

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Put it into tow haul mode and see what it does. I know with mine, if I use second gear to hold speed using engine compression on a hill it will regularly let the revs run up then pull it back down, whether in regular or tow haul. If I set the cruise to 30 KMH it will hold the pickup down to that 30 KMH speed and not let the revs run up. I do not have adaptive cruise, so it uses engine rpm to regulate speed, not the brakes like adaptive does. I have never paid close attention to the down shift pattern when coming to a stop. Will have to watch next time I am driving it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you using the downshift feature by holding down the gear selector when you start to slow? My truck has had a "quirk" since new that sounds a bit like what you're describing. If I'm going 45 or so and coming up to a stop I'll hold the gear selector down for a couple seconds and it picks the target gear as "1".

As it moves through gears is stalls and clunks REALLY harshly around second. I can't tell if it skips it altogether or not. It's harsh enough that it actually chirps the rear tires sometimes. It's done it since new and through two rebuilds of the tranny.

I tried to get the dealer to fix it but they just make excuses and say they can't replicate the problem... which is BS because it does it every time. Anyway, it's really not a huge deal and I just live with it and avoid using the auto downshift feature. I have a lifetime warranty so if it eventually causes more problems I'm covered.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You mean the entire premise of every automatic transmission ever?

Joking aside, is that supposed to be some sort of engine braking feature? If you are unloaded it could feel harsh as it is intended for when you are loaded??
It's described in the manual..... you hold the down arrow you use to manually shift for a few seconds and it selects a target gear and pretty aggressively shifts to slow you down. I mainly use it on off-ramps when it will select "2" and avoid the behavior I described in my last post. As long as you're going above about 45 it will go to 2... below that it will pick 1 so I avoid it.

Screenshot (345).png

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you hold the down arrow you use to manually shift for a few seconds and it selects a target gear and pretty aggressively shifts to slow you down.
Those buttons are for the ERS Electronic Range Selection, they don't manually shift the transmission as they won't force an upshift or hold a higher gear below it's range.
Luckily for you the transmission is smart enough to not rapidly downshift faster than the transmission can without hopefully sustaining damage or over reving the engine rpms.
The reason for your trans downshifting so aggressively is because of you selecting so much lower of a gear. Not sure why someone would feel the need to force aggressive downshifts when going 45 unless cornering hard and punching the throttle to pull out the other side.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those buttons are for the ERS Electronic Range Selection, they don't manually shift the transmission as they won't force an upshift or hold a higher gear below it's range.
Luckily for you the transmission is smart enough to not rapidly downshift faster than the transmission can without hopefully sustaining damage or over reving the engine rpms.
The reason for your trans downshifting so aggressively is because of you selecting so much lower of a gear. Not sure why someone would feel the need to force aggressive downshifts when going 45 unless cornering hard and punching the throttle to pull out the other side.
I'm confused... did you see the snippet from the manual that I am talking about? It specifically mentions a feature that occurs when holding the arrow down for a couple seconds. It's not just the usual clicking through gears. It starts the tranny on an aggressive downshifting to a targeted gear.