Drag Link V06 Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Told my wife today about what’s going on with this recall and how FCA is handling it. She said, “what did you expect out of a Chrysler product” and I guess she has a point. I had to replace a bunch of front end components on my 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummings truck and would have figured that all this would have been perfected by now. But to Chrysler’s credit she did say “at least it isn’t ugly like the Ford you had”. I wish she would be direct!

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I can say with absolute certainty that part #68338342AB works on 4th gen 2500s. Install was super simple.I did spray the tapered fits a few hours before with PB blaster, not sure if it made much difference. Definitely get a Pittman arm puller for the Pittman arm side. The knuckle side I smacked good on the knuckle and drag link a few times then used a brass hammer and gave a smack on the bolt on the ball joint and it popped right out. I made a match mark on my Pittman arm for reference so I could get close when adjusting it. I followed the recall bulletin torque values. Torqued the Pittman arm nut to 27ftlbs plus an additional 180° rotation on the nut. This turned out to be about 135ft lbs. Knuckle side was torqued to 44ftlbs plus 105°. This was about 70ftlbs. Coming off this nut was extremely loose I doubt it was more than 25ft lbs.

Broke the locking collar loose and spun adjustment sleeve easily by hand to move the steering wheel to where I needed it. Took it on a drive and had to make further adjusting. After I got it set I match marked the position of everything and torqued the lock collar to 55ftlbs.

ETA: I also made sure my old and new links were close in length before I installed to minimize my needed adjustment

With the adjustments and drives down the road to check the wheel maybe an hour and twenty minutes total. Easy job but definitely invest in the puller!Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So does adjusting the drag link impact alignment at all? I need to adjust mine slightly and want to do it myself, but want to make sure I'm not knocking it out of alignment.

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
I have commented on this subject before and there is no way I would allow anybody to weld an adjustable part on my truck. With that stated I totally agree with the others that feel that FCA should replace the defective part, and yes, it is defective, with the new upgraded part without cost to the owners of these very expensive trucks. First it's a Safety Defect, there is no argument on that score.
Number 2, customer satisfaction goes a Long way in the truck community. From what I have read here FCA Customer Cares, Cares not a whole lot, and that's the part of this Cluster Fluck that I really don't understand. Now that the Feds are taking a second look it would seem to me that there has to be someone at FCA that would want this subject taken care of in a prudent and painless manner for the good of all concerned. If this goes on much longer I am sure someone will step up and file a class action lawsuit and I am sure most of us would join it, myself included. Myself I am just going to order the new upgraded Mopar Part and install it myself. Will I submit a claim, sure I will but I am not holding my breath or running to the mailbox looking for a check.
So in closing, please don't weld your nuts. Check your links and if you want peace of mind spend a $100 or so and Fix it once and for all. I am sure at some point down the road this will all come to a head but in the mean time just deal with it, it's not worth the grief or aggravation....
Totally agree with everything said

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Since the recall requires that the drag link nuts are to be welded, will you be 100% confident that once you replace your existing drag link with the new Mopar Part and install it yourself, that it too, if you brought your vehicle into a Ram Dealership for any other service, won't have its adjusting nuts which are far closer to the wheels, welded? After all, the recall requires welding of the drag link nuts. Old drag link nuts versus the new drag link nuts are still nuts. Per the recall those nuts still require welding. I didn't see anything in the recall to state otherwise.
The new part looks nothing like the one on your truck or my 18. So no they wont weld anything cause there is nothing to weld on the new part it has a clamp.

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
So I can say with absolute certainty that part #68338342AB works on 4th gen 2500s. Install was super simple.I did spray the tapered fits a few hours before with PB blaster, not sure if it made much difference. Definitely get a Pittman arm puller for the Pittman arm side. The knuckle side I smacked good on the knuckle and drag link a few times then used a brass hammer and gave a smack on the bolt on the ball joint and it popped right out. I made a match mark on my Pittman arm for reference so I could get close when adjusting it. I followed the recall bulletin torque values. Torqued the Pittman arm nut to 27ftlbs plus an additional 180° rotation on the nut. This turned out to be about 135ft lbs. Knuckle side was torqued to 44ftlbs plus 105°. This was about 70ftlbs. Coming off this nut was extremely loose I doubt it was more than 25ft lbs.

Broke the locking collar loose and spun adjustment sleeve easily by hand to move the steering wheel to where I needed it. Took it on a drive and had to make further adjusting. After I got it set I match marked the position of everything and torqued the lock collar to 55ftlbs.

ETA: I also made sure my old and new links were close in length before I installed to minimize my needed adjustment

With the adjustments and drives down the road to check the wheel maybe an hour and twenty minutes total. Easy job but definitely invest in the puller!a81440b3e101fbd19bcd375b65b2955f.jpg69e60ab317c074d18e71d158bf7eced3.jpg023edff9cb1106ba14a7f92eced9a3fc.jpgd044a00e6f09d848a2217561164cd439.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Man that looks awesome and so much better. Now I need mine to get here. Thanks for all the info.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
At least y'all in here had the option of doing the recall for those who were advised at the dealership... I took my truck in for routine service before I received notification and upon picking it up they went ahead and just did the recall fix without telling me about it ahead of time or calling about it. I was under the impression they were supposed to tell me or call me for anything out of routine service. So now mines all welded with a subpar fix and I'll have to pay extra to have it replaced later on for the weld to be cut.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought my 2018 in April 2019, paid the down and signed paperwork. Dealer said " sorry, we can't release this to you until the recall for the drag link issue is corrected" Waited 3 days for them to spot weld . I wasn't given a choice of having that fix done. Guess there is no longer accountability for shoddy workmanship? This country is going straight down the *******, I believe, mostly because people and manufacturers are no longer held responsible for their work or actions. Course..you can always pay for a lawyer....

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
When I first took mine(before I knew better) in the service dept said they didn't have parts for the recall. I said ok and a week later they called me to bring it back so they could do the welds. Meanwhile I had already seen the horrific welds guys were posting during that week. So I opted to just locktite them and fix it myself eventually.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least y'all in here had the option of doing the recall for those who were advised at the dealership... I took my truck in for routine service before I received notification and upon picking it up they went ahead and just did the recall fix without telling me about it ahead of time or calling about it. I was under the impression they were supposed to tell me or call me for anything out of routine service. So now mines all welded with a subpar fix and I'll have to pay extra to have it replaced later on for the weld to be cut.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

you wont have to pay extra to have it replaced just because of the welds.

now, you may pay extra to have an alignment done now. Hell, some places may not even do an alignment on it now.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well I got in contact with FCA this morning. She was very nice and apologized saying there is basically nothing that can do. I wasn't surprised. Talking to the dealer is the option I have and of course they are no where near me. I asked about getting some sort of compensation towards the new part and she's looking into that for me. I just said it's very frustrating to have spend 42000 dollars on a truck and now I have to drive with my steering wheel at a 45 degree turn to the left for the remainder of its days...………….welllll no luck. a holes. guess I'm buying my own part or waiting to see what happens with the reinvestigation.

Pwrwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree you spend that kind of money and there fix is weld the nuts.
NOTE: Most people don’t realize that you can’t have a wheel alignment done with those being welded.
But now they said your dealer can do alignment only. No one else. I guess they doing so backwards **** to do it. Don’t know how. I’m still getting it replaced don’t want to deal with dealship if I don’t have to and don’t think I’ll ever buy another vehicle from FCA again with this ****.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
really you can't get it aligned either? I did not know that part.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
really you can't get it aligned either? I did not know that part.

My understanding is you can get it aligned, but if the alignment causes your steering wheel to be off center then you can't center it without cutting the welds since the drag link is used to adjust the steering wheel center.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree you spend that kind of money and there fix is weld the nuts.
NOTE: Most people don’t realize that you can’t have a wheel alignment done with those being welded.
But now they said your dealer can do alignment only. No one else. I guess they doing so backwards **** to do it. Don’t know how. I’m still getting it replaced don’t want to deal with dealship if I don’t have to and don’t think I’ll ever buy another vehicle from FCA again with this ****.

it can absolutely be aligned. But the welds will need to be ground off to recenter the steering wheel.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My understanding is you can get it aligned, but if the alignment causes your steering wheel to be off center then you can't center it without cutting the welds since the drag link is used to adjust the steering wheel center.

Yep, exactly. Spot on.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I did with mine and its been fine for months so just waiting wanting a safe part. The best part is when I first checked it out with two big ass wrenches on it bracing myself to see how tight it was and the weight of the wrench spun it off lol. I was like uh hand tightened jesus lol made me feel so safe fca.
View attachment 190455

Is this a picture of the drag link that is causing the recall. I'm asking because I don't want a Power Wagon. I have a 1500 4x4