engine oil colour

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Most oil change-type facilities use bulk oil from a large tank (at least around here they do). I call it mystery oil because you don't know what you are getting, regardless of the branded sticker they use on the tank. If you are there when they refill it, usually the driver knows what's in there. Silkolene, Redline, Amsoil, Motul...Lots of red oils out there.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most oil change-type facilities use bulk oil from a large tank (at least around here they do). I call it mystery oil because you don't know what you are getting, regardless of the branded sticker they use on the tank. If you are there when they refill it, usually the driver knows what's in there. Silkolene, Redline, Amsoil, Motul...Lots of red oils out there.

The large tanks of mystery juice are the same at most places around here too, in the Ottawa region.

Although IIRC, during one visit to a Ram stealership I once used, the mechanic had multiple litre jugs to fill his oil measuring/filling bucket. They must have let the big tank run dry.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The large tanks of mystery juice are the same at most places around here too, in the Ottawa region.

Although IIRC, during one visit to a Ram stealership I once used, the mechanic had multiple litre jugs to fill his oil measuring/filling bucket. They must have let the big tank run dry.

I have actually been in one of these places and heard them tell two different customers that the oil was two different brands, and it was neither. Both of these customers asked, "Is it XX brand?", to which they replied "yes". I asked a truck driver what is was once and he said, "Hell if I know...I pick it up in Orlando and fill the tanks on my route with the same stuff".

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline, that is probably it. That would explain the reddish hue to the old oil. Thanks! I only use Castrol 5w20 plus a can of liquid moly in my vehicles.
Why some of us like biotech better, oil that sticks. mos2 versus biotech, bottom pic dawn wash very warm water, only one still sticking to the surface.. oil soluble moly versus powdered moly in suspension

49473444153_370cd4eecd_z-jpg.jpg

49473928216_c9d6ca90ff_z-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sadly it is not true, I lost count on how many guys replaced cam and lifters with no mis fire code only to have hemi tick still.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sadly it is not true, I lost count on how many guys replaced cam and lifters with no mis fire code only to have hemi tick still.
This thing is running like a bag of crap, cold start, cannot drive away unless you put it to the boards. I've changed all sensors, one at a time to no avail. Changed pcm, nothing changed. If it is "forced" when cold, you will hear popping back in intake. Nothing that we have tried so far has made any improvement. I'm going to do the cam, lifters and the hellcat oil pump. I have a second engine that I'm going to build with mds delete.
I am at a loss to figure what the heck is going on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This thing is running like a bag of crap, cold start, cannot drive away unless you put it to the boards. I've changed all sensors, one at a time to no avail. Changed pcm, nothing changed. If it is "forced" when cold, you will hear popping back in intake. Nothing that we have tried so far has made any improvement. I'm going to do the cam, lifters and the hellcat oil pump. I have a second engine that I'm going to build with mds delete.
sorry to hear your troubles, I was just referring to changing lifters/cam only when it comes to hemi tick solving it. I will say sometimes that does work as well, just that also sometimes it wont fix hemi tick. I surely wasn't saying new lifters never fixes hemi tick. I just say exhaust all options before doing so, and it sounds like you have. I hope this does work out for ya. It's running badly and does or doesn't have any codes today?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You're better off using the stock pump,and upping the idle rpm to 750/770.If you're hung up on the Kitty pump,swap out the stock bypass spring for the spring out of your original pump,otherwise you'll end up with oil pressure codes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KW_RAM