Exterior cameras

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davedenn8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins turbo diesel
I have a 2023 Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel trailer that is setup for camera installation in the rear and over the door. I would like to integrate the trailer cameras with the RAM’s screen so I can see when backing. Does anyone have any ideas about what cameras to buy and if I can view them with my truck screen?
I appreciate any advice or ideas that anyone has about this.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't know if it can be integrated, I think the camera system that is available on the truck ties in to the mirror? I may have that information wrong.

That said, I don't know that I'd rely on those cameras for backing a trailer. Sure, they're a good visual aid, but in my (albeit limited) experience with them, they're no replacement for experience, a good set of mirrors, and a spotter for backing RVs.

My wife and I have shoehorned our various campers over the years into places most people can't get into by watching and communicating.

On the other hand, I have watched several people attempting to use the cameras on the back of the trailer end up almost jackknifed trying to back a smaller camper than ours into a more open site. One time I had to sit and wait a good twenty minutes (I shut my truck off after about 10) because this person couldn't back their RV in, and we were just a few sites down. He finally got it off the road because there was a pretty good line behind us, I pulled off by our site, let the line go by, and he got to watch me back ours in in a single shot with no cameras, just the wife at the back and my mirrors.

If you manage to get the system set up, I recommend you get some practice under your belt at backing up and using it. Open parking lots are great for beginners.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My 2021 could not integrate. That said i have a seperate wireless rear camera and monitor and I rarely use it. Im a mirror and spotter guy.
The camera is marginally useful when passing, but again i use mirrors most often cause thats what Im used to.

OP
OP
D

Davedenn8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins turbo diesel
Thanks to everyone who replied. I too prefer the mirror and spotter method for backing any kind of trailer, I was just trying to have the camera more for security than anything else. We do a lot of off grid camping and external floodlights with cameras help to soothe my wife while in the woods.
Also, having a camera and two way speaker makes communicating with the spotter easier. I’ve used them numerous times when backing motorhomes.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks to everyone who replied. I too prefer the mirror and spotter method for backing any kind of trailer, I was just trying to have the camera more for security than anything else. We do a lot of off grid camping and external floodlights with cameras help to soothe my wife while in the woods.
Also, having a camera and two way speaker makes communicating with the spotter easier. I’ve used them numerous times when backing motorhomes.
That's comforting to hear, and a good point - used in conjunction with a good spotter and your mirrors, it's a good extra coverage. But the people who try to solely use them...I've never seen that turn out well.