Fan clutch running very loud 6.7 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About 4 months ago I started to notice that my fan clutch was running very loud as if it was overheating. Temps were in normal range and it engages and disengages just like normal. I got it scanned with all the new computer updates and truck has no DTC codes. It’s very annoying. Anyone else have any issues like this?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usually when the fan clutch is very loud it's bc it's staying 'on' ...and not free-wheeling.

Maybe it's the bearing going out. ...or possibly the water pump bearing at the early stages of failure (or idler pulley) that's howling. Take it back and have them put down the scanner & do some basic troubleshooting. Scanners don't tell the techs there's a bearing going out...

OP
OP
SwollenMonkey16

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man. I just got it back and everything checks out just fine. I guess I’ll have to just wait until one of them fails. And no that it got all the latest computer updates it’s even louder

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My '05 fan was rarely audible. My '19, even pulling a 41' toy hauler up a 6-7% grade in 100 degree F weather never got real loud. I know 4th Gens were pushing the limits of the available cooling area, but is there that much difference?

OP
OP
SwollenMonkey16

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This truck is a retired hotshot truck I ran it up to max towing capacity and it never got this loud even when hot and climbing a long grade. Sounds like and old school V8

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) Spin the fan in the AM... when cold. Feel for 'looseness' or 'rough' bearing feel.

2) Look under the water pump weep hole (bottom of the W/P), when cool, for any wetness. If it's dry, Loosen the drive belt (partially remove), and feel the water pump and other rotating assemblies (incl alternator) by hand. Observe bearing 'feel'. If there's any wetness under the WP at all, replace the water pump. You don't want a failing bearing to go out while you're on the road.

3) Drive the vehicle till warm. Rotate the fan clutch again by hand and observe bearing 'feel'.

OP
OP
SwollenMonkey16

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1) Spin the fan in the AM... when cold. Feel for 'looseness' or 'rough' bearing feel.

2) Look under the water pump weep hole (bottom of the W/P), when cool, for any wetness. If it's dry, Loosen the drive belt (partially remove), and feel the water pump and other rotating assemblies (incl alternator) by hand. Observe bearing 'feel'. If there's any wetness under the WP at all, replace the water pump. You don't want a failing bearing to go out while you're on the road.

3) Drive the vehicle till warm. Rotate the fan clutch again by hand and observe bearing 'feel'.

Thank you I’ll try these