Feds to require automatic braking by 2029

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have auto braking on my truck and I had to turn it off ... I back into my driveway and my wife's car was off to the side about 15 feet and the sensors picked it up and applied the brakes ... I tried 3 times moving slightly over each time to no avail ... I have no plans of turning it back on ...

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel

Full Stop: Feds Require Automatic Braking For New Cars By 2029​

NHTSA has introduced new regulations for the new safety systems on cars starting in 2029.
Justin WestbrookWriterMay 01, 2024

SEE ALL 10 PHOTOS
The U.S. government has just introduced its first-ever automated safety tech requirement on future cars, eventually requiring every new car sold in the country to feature a form of automatic emergency braking. The move is a final expansion of a current voluntary agreement that is said to already cover about 90 percent of the auto market (and incentivized by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's top crash safety rating requirements), but now introduces performance safety standards that must be met, via AP News. The new change will come to cars in five years' time, beginning in 2029, giving automakers plenty of time to catch up to the new required regulation.

NHTSA's new requirements outline that all passenger vehicles with a weight of 10,000 pounds or less must now feature a forward collision warning system with automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection. These vehicles must be able to stop themselves from hitting a vehicle immediately ahead of them at speeds up to 62 mph, and must automatically apply braking at speeds up to 90 mph if it detects an imminent collision. The pedestrian detection must be able to detect people during the day and night, and stop from speeds of up to 31 and 40 mph depending on conditions.

NHTSA is not outlining any specific equipment requirement, but rather new performance standards that have to be met by any equipment chosen, so cameras and radar are likely to be expected. NHTSA wagers this will increase the cost of new cars slightly, which was put down as $82 per vehicle in 2020 dollars; it's also anticipated to save hundreds of lives and injuries and millions of dollars in property damage.
2023 Toyota Corolla 7
SEE ALL 10 PHOTOS
The U.S. agency will conduct tests on random new cars off the line when the rules go into effect; out of 17 new vehicles so far tested currently, only the 2023 Toyota Corolla equipped with cameras and radar met up with the new requirements.
It depends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
But, i know once i approached a car at a traffic light a bit too fast and it warned me...i don't know how because theres no camera in front.

Most vehicles use sonar. The little discs on your bumpers emit a certain soundwave and wait for it to bounce back, then use that time to calculate the distance of whatever the sound wave bounced off of. Radar and lidar are also used but tend to be on more expensive vehicles as they are much pricier systems.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends on the election.
I disagree. The snow ball is rolling down hill when it comes to emissions and safety features. Will party changes slow it down, sure but we are evolving/devolving… however you view it.

I don’t mind this feature so much but just why complicate things. Do have a problem with one more potential issue. One more gremlin to chase. Like e torque. problem free now but wait, there’s more.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Have you seen the prices on 1950 - 1990 pickups lately? We are late for the boat.

Yes, and it's largely my generation's fault. Gen Xers with all the kids out of the house, disposable income, an attitude that largely involves '**** it, I could be dead tomorrow', and a strong sense of nostalgia for the truck our dad or granddad drove back in them good ol' days.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, and it's largely my generation's fault. Gen Xers with all the kids out of the house, disposable income, an attitude that largely involves '**** it, I could be dead tomorrow', and a strong sense of nostalgia for the truck our dad or granddad drove back in them good ol' days.
For some of us,it's the truck we had as a kid,lol.
There's days i wouldn't mind having this one back,lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3521 (2).JPG
    IMG_3521 (2).JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3524 (2).JPG
    IMG_3524 (2).JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 6

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
For some of us,it's the truck we had as a kid,lol.
There's days i wouldn't mind having this one back,lol.

I drove a '75 Blazer for most of my high school years, blew the motor just before I went to the Army, and bought a Camaro because it's pretty much mandatory for a junior enlisted guy to have a car that eats half his pay. :D Bought a '71 Scout for bad weather.

If you want to be absolutely floored by pricing, see what a Scout that moves under it's own power and it's 94% rust goes for today. I paid $300 for mine...

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I drove a '75 Blazer for most of my high school years, blew the motor just before I went to the Army, and bought a Camaro because it's pretty much mandatory for a junior enlisted guy to have a car that eats half his pay. :D Bought a '71 Scout for bad weather.

If you want to be absolutely floored by pricing, see what a Scout that moves under it's own power and it's 94% rust goes for today. I paid $300 for mine...
My Dad had a couple new CornBinder 1/2 tons in the early to late 60's,then in 71 he bought a new Ford F100,and from then on,it was Ford pick-ups till the early 80's when he started buying Datsun/Nissan pick-ups,and the Fords became fuel wagons.He bought one 87 Dodge LE at a farm auction (after probably a couple bottles of whiskey,lol) i liked that truck,as it was fully loaded with every option you could get on an 87,and with the 318 got really good milege for that era of truck. The wife and i used it to tour down through Idaho / Washington and Oregon,just after we were married,as it had a cap on it,and we slept in the box,but he sold it about a year after he bought it,as the neighbour down the road was a Dodge fanatic,and gave him $4,000 more then he had paid for it.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
one of the first things I turned off on my '19 laramie. the last cpl. trucks I had came with the vibrating seat warning..something else I immediately turn off. my plan is simple, I look out the front window while driving and stop when I need to and stay in my lane. I am able to focus on driving when my truck is moving because I dont look at my phone or text while I'm driving. many folks today have trouble with that simple concept.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine