First time wheel and tire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. Would wheel width make too much of a difference or just determines how much tire bulge there is?
I raised my 4th gen Hemi (2017) 6 inches and added 22x12 on 37x13.50r22 and have been driving like this now for roughly 8 months. These are the problems with my setup: gas went from 17 mpg to 11 mpg and I still rub a little at full turn. Other than that, I can do 100 mph without any type of vibration or anything of the like. Granted I did go with great tires.
My recommendation to you is that if you’re going to be going with any type of aftermarket wheel/tire setup, make sure you get a good brand of tires. Good tires > good wheels

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there. I recently purchased a 1500 Classic Warlock and I am looking to swap out the tires and wheels. I know basic knowledge of sizing but have never done this before and am looking for your guys' recommendations. I am going to get some 35 inch tires for the truck such as Trail Grapplers or AT K02's but I'm wondering if either 11.5's or 12.5's are the move. In correlation, I'm unsure if either 9, 9.5, or 10 inch wide wheels would be better for this type of tire/wheel combo. Im looking to mainly keep the truck on the street while also doing some light off roading. I understand that 35's will be a tight fit for the warlock and will probably going with a leveling kit or lift kit. Are there benefits to 12.5's vs 11.5's and the different rim widths? Does it mainly come down to looks over performance? Thanks In advance!
Go to tirerack.com. It Will give you lots,of ideas. I personally wouldn't go more than one over. Lots of other things transpire if you do. Good luck.

Blue Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Spark Plugs
Would recommend this site: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://tiresize.com/comparison/ allows you to compare two different sizes side by side, and the results show commonly available tires and their MSRPs. It also shows recommended wheel width ranges for tires.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at a 255/80R-17 on a stock 7" wheel. It will get you about 33.8" diameter and weighs under 60# per tire in most cases. A Falken Wildpeak AT3W shows 52.5# for an E-load range. You might be able to find even lighter tires if you go with a C or D load range in that size. There is a 34x10.5R-17 available, but there are only a couple/few tires made in that size. I'd only want to buy something I could replace fairly easily.

Odds are that the 255 and maybe the 10.5 tire would fit without even having to level the truck. Narrower tires have more clearance to fenders vs similar diameter, but wider tires. Apply clearance measurements, arcs, and other math-y stuff here to see how extra width magnifies likelihood of fender interference. If you want to lift for looks, then skip what I said above (and, I guess, below.)

Since you don't want to re-gear due to expense, picking a combo that's lightweight and less than your desired 35" diameter is going to hurt mileage and performance the least, especially if you figure out you have 3.21 gears. Don't know how much you drive, but if you put 35's on it and end up with 35% decrease in MPG like Cmz2800 above, might be worth doing a little calculating to see how many miles it takes to break even on cost of gears vs gas.

Large diameter looks vs budget/performance combo...