First trailer towing with the 3.6 V6 better than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I had my used 2021 Warlock 4x4 base 3.6 V6 with the 3.21 axle for over a week and first time towing my loaded 7 X 12 enclosed trailer up and down a 7% grade mountain highway.
I was nervous going from a former F-150 3.5 Eco-Boost with heavy duty suspension to a base model Ram Warlock V6 if it could handle the loaded down trailer
It went better than expected, I pulled it up the highway in tow-haul mode on cruise control and it held 70 MPH, yea the engine screamed and geared down but it always held 70 MPH on the steepest parts of the 8 mile long uphill highway and I averaged 16 MPG
Going down the same highway it geared down on it's own in the tow-haul mode. The rear suspension didn't sag as much as expected, suspension never bottomed out.
The weight of the stuff I had in the trailer not sure but I had it full of junk from a storage shed clean out including lumber stacked high on both sides and at least 40 containers of 5 gal paint with lots of heavy metal car parts, the dry weight of my trailer is 1825 lbs - if I could guess it was easy 5000 lbs cause if the paint and lumber.
I tend to think the deciding part was the rear suspension handling it, in my experience in towing the suspension is a bigger part of towing than the power of the truck.
My friends that judge the size of their di*k on how powerful their truck is told me I made a big mistake with a 3.6 V6 when I do a lot of towing and it will never tow as good as their truck - but those guys never tow anything ! these guys have super duty trucks -never haul and tow!
I was worried and maybe believed them but after my first towing I am very happy, yea the engine screams at high RPM pulling a steep mountain but it goes the speed limit.
BTW: I paid $300 for the storage unit clean out and made $240 selling the stuff not included is how much I spent for gas on the 80 mile round trip and the 3 hours of hard labor cleaning out the storage unit, but I lose some and win some, in the past I sometimes find something valuable and that's the gamble I take. This time I lost, but it was fun. No complaints !

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds about right. I suspect the 'screaming' was more of just how they're engineered these days with 8spd tranny's (or 10 in the Fords/GM's) ...to keep smaller-cube engines at higher RPMs. Because they need to under conditions like that. Even a Hemi under load up hill will do some of that. Is your tk a 4-dr or Reg/Cab?

Glad it worked out for you.

Note: I was expecting this would be about towing a fishing boat, on the weekend of the 4th and all. LOL :D

zrock

Reaction score
Never use tow/haul mode pulling my TT.. only time i will kick it in is if im pulling hills but most of the time i will just manually drop a gear..

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
I had my used 2021 Warlock 4x4 base 3.6 V6 with the 3.21 axle for over a week and first time towing my loaded 7 X 12 enclosed trailer up and down a 7% grade mountain highway.
I was nervous going from a former F-150 3.5 Eco-Boost with heavy duty suspension to a base model Ram Warlock V6 if it could handle the loaded down trailer
It went better than expected, I pulled it up the highway in tow-haul mode on cruise control and it held 70 MPH, yea the engine screamed and geared down but it always held 70 MPH on the steepest parts of the 8 mile long uphill highway and I averaged 16 MPG
Going down the same highway it geared down on it's own in the tow-haul mode. The rear suspension didn't sag as much as expected, suspension never bottomed out.
The weight of the stuff I had in the trailer not sure but I had it full of junk from a storage shed clean out including lumber stacked high on both sides and at least 40 containers of 5 gal paint with lots of heavy metal car parts, the dry weight of my trailer is 1825 lbs - if I could guess it was easy 5000 lbs cause if the paint and lumber.
I tend to think the deciding part was the rear suspension handling it, in my experience in towing the suspension is a bigger part of towing than the power of the truck.
My friends that judge the size of their di*k on how powerful their truck is told me I made a big mistake with a 3.6 V6 when I do a lot of towing and it will never tow as good as their truck - but those guys never tow anything ! these guys have super duty trucks -never haul and tow!
I was worried and maybe believed them but after my first towing I am very happy, yea the engine screams at high RPM pulling a steep mountain but it goes the speed limit.
BTW: I paid $300 for the storage unit clean out and made $240 selling the stuff not included is how much I spent for gas on the 80 mile round trip and the 3 hours of hard labor cleaning out the storage unit, but I lose some and win some, in the past I sometimes find something valuable and that's the gamble I take. This time I lost, but it was fun. No complaints !
What happened to your old 3.5L Ford?

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is my 2nd 3.6 Pentastar and I've been happy with them. This 5th gen has the better 3.55 gears and a bit more grunt. SHE DOES LIKE TO SPIN though! I know a boat is different in the wind but it's about 5000lbs+ fueled with trailer and mine does fine. The sweet spot comes on after 3200rpm and she pulls up grades I wouldn't expect. I've actually drove that 2 hour strip to the lake enough to know what's coming and I don't use tow haul mode all the time. Out of tow haul, she'll grab higher gears more often than you think and get better mpg.

Don't get me wrong, I test drove the Hurricane and lemme tell ya, IT PULLS HARD... it's also not almost paid for with a $400 payment. LOL! I'm older and grew up with V8's that pulled like the 3.6 so it's no worry for me. They have hella good duty cycles and proven durability.

I don't know if you do your own service work but, if you do, get one of those vacuum oil extractors from Harbor Freight. With a long ratchet extension and the vacuum, you can do an oil change in 20 minutes and not even get dirty.