Towing with the Ram...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Also keep in mind that when using tow/haul mode it locks out top gear. On my '16 with the 6 speed it will only shift up to 5th gear when in tow/haul mode. The same thing on the '19-newer trucks with the 8 speed, as it locks out 8th gear and will only run in 7th. The reason is that the top gear is usually really tall and only capable of keeping an empty truck at speed (or lightly loaded). If pulling a moderate size trailer and not running in tow/haul there is a good chance the trans will rarely, if ever, shift into the top gear. When people say the trans does not downshift as much when in tow/haul mode......that's the reason why. It's already running in a lower gear.
Hmm....

My 2500 and previous 1500 will shift into 6th once enough rpms have been reached in 5th even if in tow haul. The only difference I've noticed is that it does it less frequently and you pretty much have to be on the interstate on flat ground before it will even think about it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hmm....

My 2500 and previous 1500 will shift into 6th once enough rpms have been reached in 5th even if in tow haul. The only difference I've noticed is that it does it less frequently and you pretty much have to be on the interstate on flat ground before it will even think about it.

This is correct. Older Tow/Haul modes locked out the top gear, and SOME current ones will, particularly on gassers. However, my 2017 Wagon would go into 6th on the expressway on flat ground in tow/haul with our camper behind us, and my current 2022 will shift into 6th at 55 mph on country roads in tow/haul while pulling. It will even take some grades without downshifting. Last fall we were coming home from up north, there's a particularly long, somewhat steep grade coming home on the e-way, and I went up it at 65 mph in 6th gear with the camper behind us.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is correct. Older Tow/Haul modes locked out the top gear, and SOME current ones will, particularly on gassers. However, my 2017 Wagon would go into 6th on the expressway on flat ground in tow/haul with our camper behind us, and my current 2022 will shift into 6th at 55 mph on country roads in tow/haul while pulling. It will even take some grades without downshifting. Last fall we were coming home from up north, there's a particularly long, somewhat steep grade coming home on the e-way, and I went up it at 65 mph in 6th gear with the camper behind us.
Interesting. I have never seen my 2016 PW shift into 6th gear when tow/haul is engaged. I've played with it running empty down the freeway. If you have the manual gear select up and have it set to 6, and the truck is engaged in 6, as soon as you hit the tow/haul button it will downshift to 5 and stay there. I've tried just slowing down, coasting, and when going downhill. Next time I get out on the freeway with it I will try again. Usually don't run tow/haul when pulling my small trailer because the truck will pull 6th gear fine, and as mentioned if I have tow/haul on it will only shift to 5.