For the 6.4 guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Thanks for saving me the 12 minutes! ;)
We have one, anything we should be doing, or do to avoid issue?

Thanks.

Best-
JoeRfromSC

Lots of people with lots of theories. I claim no expertise. Best I can say is use quality oil, keep on top of the oil change schedule, and avoid low rpm idle for extended periods of time if possible. Otherwise, sit back and hope you got a good one. :D

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't believe in all the theories either. I have a 2012 Hemi in a 2500 work truck. I get stuck in traffic quite a bit so it idles, I'm not turning it off every time I'm sitting. I change oil every 5000 miles. It's a work truck and I use it like one and don't have time to over think and watch my watch. At 243.000 miles I got a tick. I took it apart within about a week and found 1 lifter that the little roller bearings were gone and of course it started eating at the cam lobe. The other 15 lifters and cam lobes looked as good as new. Did that one lifter not get enough oil at idle, did that one lifter have dirtier oil on it? My belief is one lifter went bad. When putting back together I thought about leaving the windage tray out since that's what keeps the crankshaft out of the oil. Why don't they want it slinging oil every where especially the cam and lifters if that was the lifter problem? My theory is I had one defective lifter, if you can call anything defective after 243,000 miles. I replaced the cam, lifters, all gears, chain, guides and oil pump. It's been almost a year and still running as good as ever and just needing it to last until I retire in 2 years 7 months and 25 days, not that I'm counting!

Last edited:

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I have a Quertion my Laremi running 150,000 Amzoil I change oil filters. I have currently 150,000 miles, towing 10,000 lbs. I live in the mountain region traveling up and down to 11,000 feet. When I scan my truck when the check engine light comes on it says that I have the wrong kind of oil ? the only thing I can see is everybody running Mopar oil destroys cams and lifters around 100,000 miles.

JoeRfromSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7e
Thanks all. Well, the dealership changes my oil every 5,000 miles. (called a HAG stands for Hendricks auto guard, buy 8 at a time for about $650, includes fluid top offs and 30pt inspection, wheel rotation) probably not the best choice for oils... Maybe I should change my thoughts on who does the oil changes.