For the guys who think deactivating the mds via a tune is a good idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Are you suggesting that with the 5W30, the 2009 truck's sensors were dissatisfied with the lubrication, either dispersion or lubricity?

Would sensors be able to detect those parameters?

inadequate flow rate, esp. @ idle rpm.

Brapasorus Rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very happy with my MDS delete and 7 speed tranny tuned from Bmags. Wouldn’t have it any other way!

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Are you suggesting that with the 5W30, the 2009 truck's sensors were dissatisfied with the lubrication, either dispersion or lubricity?

Would sensors be able to detect those parameters?

I've never looked into why the earlier trucks will throw a code for improper oil viscosity,but it'd have be one of their sensors,and what changed with the sensors after that, i don't know.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Maybe I should qualify my statement.

The switch itself is completely transparent, what I dislike is, when I tromp on the skinny pedal and it lurches and hesitates before launching.

I want instant satisfaction.

Neither my 1500 nor 2500 has acted in that manner, nor do any of the hemi equipped cars I've had as work-mobiles. If it lurched and hesitated I would assume it's broken, not just the way MDS is.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Neither my 1500 nor 2500 has acted in that manner, nor do any of the hemi equipped cars I've had as work-mobiles. If it lurched and hesitated I would assume it's broken, not just the way MDS is.

It reminds me of the Elantra GT when it's in Eco mode. If you tromp on it at the wrong instant, it's like there's a momentary hunting for it's next gear before it drops down.

I suppose a lurch might be a slight stretch but there's definitely a hesitation before liftoff. The hesitation is significantly shorter while running with 8 cylinders.

I'll try to get out tomorrow, run a few tests and see if I have another method to describe my experience.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
It reminds me of the Elantra GT when it's in Eco mode. If you tromp on it at the wrong instant, it's like there's a momentary hunting for it's next gear before it drops down.

I suppose a lurch might be a slight stretch but there's definitely a hesitation before liftoff. The hesitation is significantly shorter while running with 8 cylinders.

I'll try to get out tomorrow, run a few tests and see if I have another method to describe my experience.
I concur 100%!

There is an unnerving response to smash stick input and response when MDS is on, especially when in low speed/low load scenarios like driving in stop and go traffic and/or in town.

I cannot stand how my trucks responded then and now to my demand for immediate HEMI input satisfaction requests when in MDS.
I really do like all V8 at all times ;)
But I also get the details that an MDS equipped HEMI should have it in use, too.

I also tossed on a FastMan TB on my then 19' and transferred to my new 23', which appreciably aided then and does now, in the throttle input requests ;)
This man is a guru when it comes to HEMI TB's and what they deliver in terms of smoother and more immediate throttle input responses.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I concur 100%!

There is an unnerving response to smash stick input and response when MDS is on, especially when in low speed/low load scenarios like driving in stop and go traffic and/or in town.

Thanks for adding your perception.

Yes, that is better description of the issue. With any low load scenario, there is almost always a hesitation that is not what I'm looking for after buying a V8.

While in city traffic with the MDS defeated, the liftoff time is significantly shorter and much more satisfying.

Attempting to drive in the city in a passive manner just does not interest me at all.

I tend to drive like an old fart when I'm alone on the country roads but when in the city, I have no interest in yielding to every other driver on the road that thinks their mission is more important than everyone else's.

I don't ever drive aggressively but I'm definitely assertive in traffic. And that doesn't matter if I'm driving a full sized truck or a compact car. :cool:

Not that I drive cars very often anymore.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

MDS turns on and off in a few milliseconds. I would suggest it's a tune/program difference rather than an MDS issue. The only hesitation I ever saw with a hemi equipped vehicle was when I hit it hard enough to kick in traction control. 2021 police package with the awd/6 speed/hemi I basically had to relearn how to drive as treating it like a Ford Interceptor caused issues since it would cause the computer to reign you in when it shifted, even with the AWD. I had to lift the pedal a bit as it shifted to 2nd and 3rd, then I could keep it buried. I've never owned or driven a 1500 hemi with the 8 speed, but the 6 speed Express showed zero hesitation at any speed to any speed, and 2 lane highway passing would have showed it. No issues with my PW with the 8 speed, but in fairness I don't drive it with the same manners.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Plug in a throttle controller and you will never feel that lag again even when mds is active it’s very quick to respond.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've been considering one of these;

9-Drive Throttle Response Controller

The only safe ones are the pulsar, or the banks pedal monster. The other controllers tap into the amps from the pedal circuit to power themselves and that has lead to check engine lights and unresponsive accelerator pedals. I would not touch the others with a 10 foot pole, all cheap junk made overseas.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I had a Sprint Booster in my old 06' 300SRT8, and I would put it to the most sensitive mode and it took some getting used to, but I loved how touchy the pedal became.

Never had any issues with it either.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I installed a pedal commander almost four years ago and have had no issues relating to that. I did remove it before the truck was hauled to the dealership because of the RF hub failure and rear window replacement. But it went right back in when we got the truck back.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Never an issue with the one I have. It’s been in 3 different trucks now and operates great. Sometimes I even change modes on the fly without issue. I have heard stories of issue with some but so far so good. I have the hikeit x9

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You must not have an exhaust.
When MDS kicks in with the Carven it sounds aweful.
The truck is stock, everything still factory, I can't hear the exhaust with the window up, unless I put my foot into it. I do not notice any time lag on the switch to 8 cyl.

there was some kid around with a 4 cylinder honda a stupid big can that was a pita.
I haven't heard it for awhile, maybe the pile of crap died, the way he wound it up.

As I said on or off, I don't really bother me, but if I want to keep the motor speed up a bit around town, I will be in 5 th with the buttons.
Swift Current is still what would be called a town ,lots of places, 14000? maybe
My home town is about 500.

BTW I just upgraded the ears, I have bought tractors for less money.
PS, I will add, I very seldom mash the peddle to the floor, I find most of the way is as good or better them just jamming it to the floor. Did lots of that with the old grain trucks, petal to the metal was normal, until I got the 855 Cumm. that was a different ball game.

Last edited:

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is one data point. My 2014 6.4 at 90k miles had only one significantly worn roller and cam lobe. That one was *not* an MDS lifter. Some other lobes had 'skid marks' on them but there was not a clear correlation between them and which ones have MDS. All the rollers felt smooth rolling them by hand.

I replaced with latest Mopar MDS lifters, but I did not look closely at the roller bearings to see if they are different.

So I guess that puts me in the 'MDS isn't the main problem' camp. And I will shorten my oil change intervals. I always use the specified PUP oil but I don't know what the previous owner did for the first 80k miles.
Mikeru:
The question is did you turn off MDS during those miles or did you let it do its thing?

Me:
I use tow mode some times (not always) when towing which is most of the miles I put on the truck. Does tow mode turn off MDS? Otherwise I just let it do it's thing, sometimes I notice it but it doesn't bother me.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mikeru:
The question is did you turn off MDS during those miles or did you let it do its thing?

Me:
I use tow mode some times (not always) when towing which is most of the miles I put on the truck. Does tow mode turn off MDS? Otherwise I just let it do it's thing, sometimes I notice it but it doesn't bother me.
I'm not sure if MDS works the same way on 2500's as on 1500's. Tow/haul doesn't turn off MDS on 4th gen 1500's but it does turn off MDS on 5th gen 1500's.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never an issue with the one I have. It’s been in 3 different trucks now and operates great. Sometimes I even change modes on the fly without issue. I have heard stories of issue with some but so far so good. I have the hikeit x9

Is that the same as the 9-Drive I showed the link for?

The majority of the reviews for the 9-Drive on dot com read as though it's excellent.

For the cost, it seems to be worth a gamble. If it craps out and throws the truck into limp mode, that's not the end of the world.

Plus, many of the products on Amazon offer free returns for 60 days. Like a free testing period. :cool:

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I've seen everything Reignited has put out on the topic...
I'm more interested in the engineering aspects of the engine

just found this, just as an fyi
MDS explanation
Thanks for sharing the writeup. It goes into more detail, but confirms what was covered in the ignited video.

"When the MDS solenoids are in the 'off' state (8-cylinder mode), they supply oil pressure of approximately 3 psi to the lifter bores. This lifter oil keeps the bores lubricated and prevents air from entering the system. When the solenoids are activated, oil pressure of 16 psi or greater is supplied to the lifters and the engine enters the 4-cylinder mode."

This was my point of re-pointing to the ignited video... "proper delete" to me means actually deleting -- not just disabling -- MDS. This is not the sole factor in lifter roller failure (no one said it was), but the fact there is more oil pressure pushing oil to the vulnerable lifters only when the solenoids are activated (16 vs 3 psi). From the ignited video where he traces the oil path and talks about replacing the MDS solenoids with plugs to get full oil pressure to all lifters all the time... that seems like a desireable thing to me, along with having V8 all the time and not having to mess with buttons every time I get in the truck.

YMMV