Front differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowman129

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I went to the dealership for an oil change and after his inspection, I was told I need an axle. He took it apart and I’m told I need a new axle plus differential, costs $3,000 , the axle is covered by extended warranty. Truck only has 70,000 miles and rarely used 4 wheel drive. Does this seem normal

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I went to the dealership for an oil change and after his inspection, I was told I need an axle. He took it apart and I’m told I need a new axle plus differential, costs $3,000 , the axle is covered by extended warranty. Truck only has 70,000 miles and rarely used 4 wheel drive. Does this seem normal
The front axles are always turning in these trucks,even when you're in 2 wheel drive mode.If you're covered under warrenty i wouldn't worry about it,let them put a new diff in it,but if you're paying out of pocket,the front diff can be rebuilt,instead of buying a new one.Both stub axles are available now,a few years ago the pass side stub wasn't available,and you did have to buy a new diff,if it was bad,but that's not the case anymore.
If the trucks lifted or lowered,you will usually go through CV axles more often,then if the truck is at stock height

OP
OP
S

Snowman129

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, the diff is not covered but the axle is. It’s going to cost $3,000 I asked the dealer about rebuilding it and I was told it can’t be rebuilt, it is left side.

OP
OP
S

Snowman129

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They say it can’t be put back together and work properly so I guess I have no choice and credit card the repair

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They say it can’t be put back together and work properly so I guess I have no choice and credit card the repair
Don't do that,it's drivable with-out the CV axles,so tell them to put it back together with-out them,and fix it yourself,or take it to a local shop you trust. My truck hasn't had a front diff or CV's under since it was basically new,they fell out of the truck way back in 2015,so don't let anybody try to tell you,it's not drivable with-out the CV's.If they try that trick,tell them to look up the front hubs for a 2X4 and 4X4,they're the same part number and hub,and the 2wheel drive trucks have no issues with-out CV axles,lol

Here's the video on how to replace the pass side stub shaft,it's not hard to do at home.

Last edited:

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Normal? NO. I don't know why you'd be replacing anything driveline at 70k miles unless it's seen severe service. Drivelines should be able to take 150K easily without failures (again, unless sever service).

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes these diff are junk and fail all the time. You want worry free! do the gen 3 front diff swap.

They dont call them stealer****s for nothing 3K is highway robbery... your stealer is to stupid to just fix the front diff and want to screw you. Id go somewhere else or just DIY it .