Front & Rear Differential Service - Needed or Dealer looking for work ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricci427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my truck is in for an oil change, $20.00 as I bought it at the dealer, they called to tell me a front and rear diff service is due $750.00

Truck is 2017, quad cab, express, 63,000 miles.

Question to all, is it really needed, I have a workshop at my job, I would assume if needed, it simply drain the fluid, and refill which my work mechanic can do for a damn site less than $750.

Also, if anyone has done it, do you know what the exact fluid/lubricant should be ?

Dealers always trying to get more work, they are worse than mavis tire lately, wanted $70 last time to replace cabin filter, said no thanks I can get a Mopar one on amazon for about $20.

OP
OP
ricci427

ricci427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found my own answer, definitely dealer up sell.

I checked manual it states

"Inspect the front and rear axle surfaces. If gear oil leakage is suspected check the fluid level. If using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing, change axle fluid"

I will take a print out with me when i go to pick up later today.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy moley.. I know they need to make a profit but it would be really tough to justify on paper exactly how two diffs refilled equals $750 .

Sounds like you should see about a different dealer. I don't think they're all "Stealerships" but if they're playing like that, maybe that one is.

Shawn1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy moley.. I know they need to make a profit but it would be really tough to justify on paper exactly how two diffs refilled equals $750 .

Sounds like you should see about a different dealer. I don't think they're all "Stealerships" but if they're playing like that, maybe that one is.
Maybe they're trying to sell that the axles need to be removed from the truck first [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I just did mine a few weeks ago. The owners manual will tell you what you need. It gets a little tricky finding the correct fluid for a 44-44 transfer case, but if you have a 44-45 you can buy off the shelf. I cut the dealer cost by 75% doing it myself. It’s stupid easy, especially if you have a lift.

OP
OP
ricci427

ricci427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I really only go there for oil changes, as they charge me $20, not worth time or effort do do it yourself at that price.

I was amazed by the pricing, the up sell, even more so after I read manual and saw its not even needed, cant imagine how many people they con with this stuff.

I work at a construction firm so we have a mechanic, I will have it change here....regular oil change even using our mechanic I cant beat their $20 fee.

hardcharger77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer has called me several times saying I need my diffs and transfer case serviced. $450 for the whole thing. I’m at 64K KM.

Took it to my regular mechanic, he checked and said both were fine, replaced a broken reverse light and didn’t charge me a dime. I can guarantee the dealership would have charged me the full bill, and maybe not even have changed the fluids.

This is my third RAM. Decided the only think the dealer is going to do is oil changes (included in extended warranty) and recalls/warranty work. We will see how long this one lasts and what it costs compared to the previous two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Maintenance schedule recommends 96,000 kms (60,000 miles) if towing regularly. I've never found a suggested mileage outside of that.

Since I do tow a fair bit in the summer I had mine done at 100,000 kms (62,000 miles) at the suggestion of the dealer.
It may have been a bit sooner than needed, but I'd rather do it too soon than too late. Especially with winter driving conditions, where I'm more likely to engage four wheel drive.

The rough estimate that's worked for me on past trucks is $150 for each diff and another $150 for the transfer case ($450 total) excluding taxes.
But it ended up being a bit more than that on this one. If I remember correctly, it was a little over $500 total - excluding taxes.
That's Canadian. Costs in the U.S. seem to be lower for most maintenance and repair work.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's also worth pointing out that the OEM diff gaskets are about 70 bucks apiece, and the Mopar fluid is about 40 bucks a liter (x2) if I remember right.
If I'm not mistaken, there's also an additional additive that they put in on some models of truck.
They also do a flush, which I don't really know much about, but involves some sort of chemical that probably isn't cheap.

So yeah, they charge a lot. But the labour portion isn't really as far out there as it seems once you account for the cost of parts/fluid.

Last edited:

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I just checked the paperwork. I had the transfer case and both differentials done at the dealership around 59k miles (I tow a lot and do a lot of short winter drives to work in MN). They charged me $329 and change. It frustrates the hell out of me to hear them trying to charge $750. At least at boat shops, they post the rates for regular service. It should be the same for anyone for similar vehicles.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my truck is in for an oil change, $20.00 as I bought it at the dealer, they called to tell me a front and rear diff service is due $750.00

Truck is 2017, quad cab, express, 63,000 miles.

Question to all, is it really needed, I have a workshop at my job, I would assume if needed, it simply drain the fluid, and refill which my work mechanic can do for a damn site less than $750.

Also, if anyone has done it, do you know what the exact fluid/lubricant should be ?

Dealers always trying to get more work, they are worse than mavis tire lately, wanted $70 last time to replace cabin filter, said no thanks I can get a Mopar one on amazon for about $20.

Im in CT, mind if I ask what dealer it was? (feel free to PM me if you dont want to out them)

Just to make sure I avoid them.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
It's also worth pointing out that the OEM diff gaskets are about 70 bucks apiece, and the Mopar fluid is about 40 bucks a liter (x2) if I remember right.
If I'm not mistaken, there's also an additional additive that they put in on some models of truck.
They also do a flush, which I don't really know much about, but involves some sort of chemical that probably isn't cheap.

So yeah, they charge a lot. But the labour portion isn't really as far out there as it seems once you account for the cost of parts/fluid.

They need to add LSD additive for the Limited Slip Diff....they forgot it on mine and boy was it noisy until they added it.

The "flush" chemical is just brake clean fluid...lmao...

OP
OP
ricci427

ricci427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im in CT, mind if I ask what dealer it was? (feel free to PM me if you dont want to out them)

Just to make sure I avoid them.

So when I went to pick up the truck yesterday afternoon, I asked the service rep why are the recommending something that's not in the regular maintenance schedule, he just said I don't know that's what the tech wrote on the paperwork, and I pressed further for an answer, and all he ever said was I don't know...
Told him he should tell his techs not to recommend something that the manufacturer doesn't, especially when its just an obvious up sell.

ChrisB..FYI, i live in CT, work on Long Island, I was in Garden City.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I'm sure they put an "a-hole" note in your file now buddy!

Way to confront them on it though. They need to be reminded that we're not all sheep.

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer recommended this service to me at last oil change. I was under 60k so I said I'll wait. I decided to have them do it this oil change. It is worth it to me so I can show the service records when I eventually trade in or sell as I need a 2500. Anyway the dealer changed the fluid in all 3 pumpkins (front/rear diffs and transfer case I think). Total for that was $347 out the door. When I checked in I told the tech that the quoted price of $350 over the phone sounded high and asked for any other discounts they had, and he gave me an extra %10. He made sure to tell me when I paid that the quote was wrong in the beginning, it should of been $399, but he gave it to me for under the quoted price. I know it was expensive for something I could do myself but I feel it was worth it for my piece of mind...

I dont know the exact fluid they used but I know it was synthetic according to my work sheet.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just did the 2 diffs and the transfer case today on my wife's Armada. 60K miles. Dealer wanted $300. Cost me a couple of hours and about $60 worth of lubes. Interesting thing was that the front and rear diffs had different recommended lube. Rear is anti-slip and wanted GL5 syn 75-90. Front just wanted regular old 80-90. Old fluid looked good, and very little on the magnets. Probably a waste of time and money, but what the heck. Can't believe anyone would charge $700+ for that job!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the 2 diffs and the transfer case today on my wife's Armada. 60K miles. Dealer wanted $300. Cost me a couple of hours and about $60 worth of lubes. Interesting thing was that the front and rear diffs had different recommended lube. Rear is anti-slip and wanted GL5 syn 75-90. Front just wanted regular old 80-90. Old fluid looked good, and very little on the magnets. Probably a waste of time and money, but what the heck. Can't believe anyone would charge $700+ for that job!

You dont want an LSD up front, turning would be.....interesting.....if you did.