Frozen screen and blue screen of death

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nbreker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 sport
I took my vehicle in today to the dealership. It’s a 2018 dodge ram 1500, I had asked them to do an update on my uconnect but they said it’s up to date. The issue that I have been having is that randomly when I’m driving my screen will freeze or better yet there are times when I start my vehicle and I get the so called blue screen of death. It ends up resetting itself but I have had times where it would freeze up to 3 times while driving. Its very annoying and the dealerships only advise was to get the radio/screen replaced for $1000.

Anyone else have this issue, I know it’s been talked about a bit on here but I have yet to find a 100% fix without having to get it replaced.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What radio do you have, is it original or upgrade. Upgrades with inferior cables can be a problem.

Blue screen is generally a software problem. If your reset was disconnecting battery for a while then running through 3 or so run cycles ( start, drive of 20 minutes or about that, shut off, repeat) and that didn't fix it, not sure there is much you can do. Dealer said you have latest update, and a screen won't probably fix it. A new unit could be the only real solution. Read through the threads in radios and updates, but I don't know you will find much more. Sorry.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know what I'm about to type won't help in the least, but it's based on multiple cross samples of UConnect. They SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK. Unreliable garbage trash suck units. That is all.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you fill out the Form on this website
It will give you a complete list of Radios that will work in your Ram
with prices & other details, such as radios with Apple or Android apps

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2018s in general are problematic. We bought an early 2019 Charger R/T with a radio left over from 2018 and had the same issue. The fix was a replacement. My 2018 1500 and 2500 both had the delaminating screens. The 1500 was replaced by the dealer and I replaced the screen on the 2500. No issues with any of them after the replacement.

It's not all year models though and they really don't suck. I've had a 14 Durango and a 16 3500 that the 8.4 UConnect worked perfectly in. Never even hiccuped.

FCA attempted to save some money by switching radio manufacturers in late 2017 through the end of 2018 and those radios had a lot of issues. They went back to the original manufacturer in early 2019 and it seemed to have fixed a lot of the issues. At least, that is what I've been told by multiple people.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had very similar problems with a 8.4 nav in a 18 challenger that I had like people are saying the 18 uconnect has major issues. I ended up trading the car in for my Ram no issues in my 21 Ram same system

OP
OP
N

Nbreker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 sport
I just find it funny if they have constant issues with the 18s then why wasn’t this ever recalled? I mean if it means swapping out the radio for a new one I guess that’s the solution but this should be an expense on Ram not the owner.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@RamCares might be able to provide more insight into that.

Luckily the dealer covered my Charger under warranty, and my 18 1500 was failing when we were negotiating, so that dealership replaced the radio as part of the deal. For me, I had to replace the switch panel beneath my radio and my screen since the glue from the screen leaked down into the switches.

It wasn't evident when I bought the truck (no ghosting or funky issues yet) or I'd have made that dealer replace it. I only figured it out when my exhaust brake and seat heater buttons wouldn't work. Total cost for me was about $450. But honestly it was a used truck and since I already knew about the potential issue, I really didn't worry about it.

There is no "fix" that I am aware of for the BSOD (like my Charger had). It is a complete replacement.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi there!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, @nlambert182. Our team would like to look into this further. Please private message us, @Nbreker with details of your concern along with your VIN and current mileage.

Gia
Ram Cares

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi there!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, @nlambert182. Our team would like to look into this further. Please private message us, @Nbreker with details of your concern along with your VIN and current mileage.

Gia
Ram Cares
You guys should look into the 2018+ cars too,while you're at it.They're notirous for the black screen of death

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just find it funny if they have constant issues with the 18s then why wasn’t this ever recalled? I mean if it means swapping out the radio for a new one I guess that’s the solution but this should be an expense on Ram not the owner.
A recall has to affect life or health or damage to the vehicle or other property.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
While safety risks almost always force a recall, there doesn't have to be a life threatening situation for a manufacturer to voluntarily institute a recall. There has to be enough hard data to prove the failure rate is beyond the company's standards so much that it is in the company's best interest to recall and repair the issue.

With these screens, people typically scream in the forums but not that many people report the failures to entities such as the NHTSA or to the manufacturer themselves. It's much quicker just to fix the issue and move on. While non-safety related recalls are less common, they do happen.

A GREAT example of a non-safety recall is the 67A Cummins recall to reflash the ECM to change the emissions parameters. If the emissions systems fail, it doesn't cause immediate harm or risk of death. It simply puts the truck in limp mode after ~150 miles.