Fuel Gauge Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2010 Ram 1500 ST that I have upgraded the instrument cluster on. I decided to upgrade the steering wheel to be able to control the cluster options. I disconnected the negative battery terminal and was going to start the removal/installation of the steering wheel when I realized that I also needed to change the clockspring to have the controls work. So, I reconnected the negative and decided to wait until I get the clockspring...that was yesterday afternoon. This morning when I went to run to the store, the fuel gauge read empty (I know that there should be a half tank of fuel). Disconnected the negative again and let it sit for about 10 minutes, still reads empty. Went to the gas station and put gas in...no change. I performed the self-test on the cluster and everything works fine. Connected my OBD and there are no codes. I'm kind of at a loss at this point and don't want to drop the tank and change out the pump if that isn't the issue.

What else can I check? All info/advice is appreciated!!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like a really big coincidence to have the fuel sensor
or gauge fail at this exact time, however, the gauge in my 2014
showed "E" out of nowhere one day, and it stayed there.

My dealer said the sensor and pump are 2 separate units and
it was my sensor that tested bad, so they replaced it. the original
pump is still in there doing it's thing.

I agree, I would hate to see you drop the tank only to evventually
find a wiring issue somewhere else.

Best of luck in your trouble shooting.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
One of the electrical connections you disturbed did not make contact properly would be my guess. May have moved away from each other when you reconnected it. Take it back apart ,give a thorough inspection, and adjustment if needed then try again to see if alls good.